test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Kenedy

Started by Jason,

897 posts in this topic
9 hours ago, Tomo said:

I thought he was awful against Villa and just furthens my belief he should be a left back going forward.

He needs to improve his defending but that can be worked on, a lot of players have done that in their careers, as a winger I haven't been convinced by him once all season, he lacks the close control and decision making to be anything more than a squad player in that area in my opinion.

However at left back especially vs Palace and Norwich it was clear the potential for something special.

I remember seeing videos of him where it was claimed he was a better dribbler than Hazard? I certainly have not seen that from him. 

Hopefully he will build on this and come back stronger. I agree he was abysmal against Villa. But it's the story of our season, no consistent form from any player - except Willian :(

Tomo likes this

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

I thought he was awful against Villa and just furthens my belief he should be a left back going forward.

He needs to improve his defending but that can be worked on, a lot of players have done that in their careers, as a winger I haven't been convinced by him once all season, he lacks the close control and decision making to be anything more than a squad player in that area in my opinion.

However at left back especially vs Palace and Norwich it was clear the potential for something special.

There is no more glaring comparision than that with Marcelo. What Marcelo did against Barca on Saturday is exactly what I think Kenedy is able to do (showed that in a flash against Palace at the Bridge). And Marcelo used to be awful defender. Only after Jose worked on him he became much more bearable there.

It's similar story with so many full-backs. Ashley Cole, do you remember him as a winger ? Then Jordi Alba, another winger or David Alaba, a central midfielder, Luke Shaw a winger etc.

But there already is another problem. What with Baba ? Ideally we would be left there with one of them and some expierienced left-back.

The Skipper, Liquidator and Tomo like this

The boy is better built at left back. I have much more faith in him succeeding there than as a good winger - he was rubbish out there on Saturday but I have been repeatedly impressed by him at LB.

9 minutes ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

The boy is better built at left back. I have much more faith in him succeeding there than as a good winger - he was rubbish out there on Saturday but I have been repeatedly impressed by him at LB.

What Left Back in the dressing room :D:D:D:D

Yeah - he has potential - but will he get the starts? Maybe Baba will join Dildo back in the German league?

12 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

What Left Back in the dressing room :D:D:D:D

Yeah - he has potential - but will he get the starts? Maybe Baba will join Dildo back in the German league?

Dildo :lol:

{option}http://i65.tinypic.com/2s7jqr5.gif[/IMG]

Muzchap likes this

On 09/03/2016 at 0:38 AM, LDN Blue said:

You can take the club from Mourinho, but his slight influence will always linger.

His call to play the kid at left-back, we ridiculed and mocked for a while but I guess he let Hiddink in on the vision he had. 

Well played Kenedy, have your moment to shine!

Or perhaps they both just know what they're doing?

That's easy for me to say given that I don't see Kennedy as the full package at AM but it can't be so hard to believe that a pair of multi-trophy winners might just have the odd clue about football. It isn't is it?

7 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Or perhaps they both just know what they're doing?

That's easy for me to say given that I don't see Kennedy as the full package at AM but it can't be so hard to believe that a pair of multi-trophy winners might just have the odd clue about football. It isn't is it?

Well it's known that JM and GH had a chat prior to Hiddink starting his tenure anyway, we also know Kenedy said he's never played LB before. I wasn't attempting to Mou-fan boy I was just suggesting it's quite funny that amongst all the harm he did us.. We got a nice gem out of it :D 

Just now, LDN Blue said:

Well it knows that JM and GH had a chat prior to Hiddink starting his tenure anyway, we also know Kenedy said he's never played LB before. I wasn't attempting to Mou-fan boy I was just suggesting it's quite funny that amongst all the harm he did us.. We got a nice gem out of it :D 

I'll remember to sing the special one's name even louder than usual a week on Saturday. Just for you. :)

LDN Blue likes this

39 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'll remember to sing the special one's name even louder than usual a week on Saturday. Just for you. :)

His name's still being rung around? Lol

2 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

His name's still being rung around? Lol

And I hope it always will be. Certainly deserves to be. At least partly responsible for every trophy we've won since Roman arrived at the club, apart from the last two. He was entirely responsible for those.

Tomo, LDN Blue, Essien19 and 1 other like this

6 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

And I hope it always will be. Certainly deserves to be. At least partly responsible for every trophy we've won since Roman arrived at the club, apart from the last two. He was entirely responsible for those.

Yeah agreed, just nicely surprised! Chant on good sir!

Obviously we don't yet know what Conte has in mind for next season, and frankly I think it very unlikely, but if we were to actually play with 3 at the back, then Kenedy would be perfect for the wing-back role and it would certainly make the debate about whether he is a left back or left winger irrelevant. 

6 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

but if we were to actually play with 3 at the back,

I just can't think of anyone who consistently benefited form 3 at the back in the PL.

Dalglish did it but that was just a faux 5-3-2-1. Martinez did it with Wigan, except they were exposed for 7/9months of any PL campaign. Macini has tried at City and it just caused chaos and confusion. 

nyikolajevics likes this

3 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

I just can't think of anyone who consistently benefited form 3 at the back in the PL.

Dalglish did it but that was just a faux 5-3-2-1. Martinez did it with Wigan, except they were exposed for 7/9months of any PL campaign. Macini has tried at City and it just caused chaos and confusion. 

I know you can't really compare to the Serie A, but I think the key to the success of playing 3 at the back is you have to have the suitable wingbacks who know the role tactically by heart and who can both attack and defend well. 

Another interesting tactical option with 3 at the back is what Allegri has done at Juve most of the times he's played 3-5-2, and that is to have someone at right wingback who is very comfortable playing in defense (Leischteiner) so the team can actually transition to a 4-4-2 in defense.

Works the other way around with 4-4-2 in attack by having a left winger who can tuck in centrally (Pogba) and have Evra push up as a wingback and basically attack with a 3-5-2 when needed. I know it's only the Serie A, but it has proven very difficult to adjust against.

But again, just to clarify, I'm not per se advertising for 3 at the back. But I would REALLY like to see 2 up top next season (because I feel that is where football is headed to in the next few years) and if Conte sees that 3 at the back is necessary to do that, then I'm all for it! 

8 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I know you can't really compare to the Serie A, but I think the key to the success of playing 3 at the back is you have to have the suitable wingbacks who know the role tactically by heart and who can both attack and defend well. 

Another interesting tactical option with 3 at the back is what Allegri has done at Juve most of the times he's played 3-5-2, and that is to have someone at right wingback who is very comfortable playing in defense (Leischteiner) so the team can actually transition to a 4-4-2 in defense.

Works the other way around with 4-4-2 in attack by having a left winger who can tuck in centrally (Pogba) and have Evra push up as a wingback and basically attack with a 3-5-2 when needed. I know it's only the Serie A, but it has proven very difficult to adjust against.

But again, just to clarify, I'm not per se advertising for 3 at the back. But I would REALLY like to see 2 up top next season (because I feel that is where football is headed to in the next few years) and if Conte sees that 3 at the back is necessary to do that, then I'm all for it! 

This. No matter what else.

Kenedy's 2015-16 season in review:Keep,sell,loan

Taking a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly of each and every Chelsea player's season. Next up, Kenedy who got to play alongside his videogame characters in real life.

Appearances: 7 starts (+13 as substitute).
Minutes: 549 in Premier League; 223 in domestic cups; 107 in Champions League.
Statistics (per 90 minutes, Premier League): 49.29 attempted passes (86% pass completion); 0.16 goals scored; 4.18 successful take-ons (61.90% success rate).

Robert Kenedy Nunes do Nascimento was sold by Brazilian club Fluminense for £6.3 million to an investment group before heading to Chelsea initially on a "trial" during pre-season.  It was a dream come true for the youngster who would often play as Chelsea in his videogames and now he was playing alongside them in real life!He joined up with the Blues at training camp in Canada but as a 19-year-old with only a few games under his belt as a professional in Brazil's weak state and national leagues, it was assumed that Kenedy would eventually join our "loan army" just like Nathan, who also arrived from Brazil last summer but was immediately sent to spend the season at Chelsea B Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem.But Kenedy has never been one to settle for low aims. Having lived in Fluminense's football academies hundreds of miles away from his family in Rio de Janeiro State from 2009 to 2013, he wasn't about to settle for the Eredivisie when the Premier League was a possibility.  And so, the mostly unknown Brazilian prospect got to work, to try and catch José Mourinho's attention.His debut for Chelsea against Barcelona wasn't an official match, but it was a great introduction to what Kenedy could bring to the plate. He started the match on the right wing, his natural position, alongside a mostly first-choice lineup, but the youngster who would end up getting tested by Mourinho in training as a left back and even a centre back, showed great determination and willingness to contribute on the defensive end as well.  Such tendencies were no doubt music to the manager's ears, and once Kenedy secured a work permit (thanks to a change in the rules that allowed for easy loopholes), he ended up staying with the first-team.Unfortunately, even though he was a "Mourinho-type" player through and through, Kenedy didn't get too many opportunities. With Mourinho at helm, he got eight appearances and started only two matches — one against Walsall as an attacking midfielder in the League Cup (collecting a goal and an assist), and the other as a left back against Norwich City in the Premier League. Things improved slightly once Guus Hiddink took over. The Dutch manager gave five starts to Kenedy — three of them as a left back, and two as a left winger — and seven cameos from the bench.It might sound petty to complain about Kenedy's usage since, as a youngster who just turned 20, he got a decent amount of minutes, especially considering Chelsea's previous record in such matters.  But having witnessed his offensive prowess during his Fluminense spell, it's difficult not to be a bit bitter over the fact that he spent a good chunk of his time playing left back.

He wasn't able to be as incisive as he was in Brazil, not only due to playing in defense — although still looking to roam forward — but also finding English defences more difficult to break down than the ones in his home country. But Kenedy is still a very skilled attacker with a powerful left foot that can deliver amazing shots at opponents' goals, just as we saw against Norwich City in March.

The Good: His performance against League One side Walsall in the League Cup, where Kenedy gave the assist with a marvelous cross from the left wing for Ramires to open the scoring and got a goal of his own, his first as a Chelsea player, on a 4-1 trouncing.

The Bad: The youngster was thrown to the wolves dressed as swans as he subbed in for defender Matt Miazga at half-time of our game against Swansea City. Playing as a winger, Kenedy didn't manage to get things going for Chelsea in our lacklustre efforts to overcome Swansea's 1-0 lead.

The Ugly: Kenedy got to start at left back over Baba Rahman against Everton in the FA Cup 6th round, and did everything he could to get Baba back into the line-up. That he was voted man of the match says more about the game itself and Chelsea in general than his own contributions.

Verdict: While not an ideal outcome, it's still great that Kenedy was able to turn his versatility into additional first-team chances throughout the season.  He might not be confused for a proper left back anytime soon, but he could be useful as depth there and at various attacking midfielder positions.

Kenedy turned 20 in February, and it's clear that he has a lot of potential as well as many areas to work on and improve.  As with any youngster, consistent playing time would help his development the most, to get him used to the better defenses in England that feature defenders who actually follow their marks through an entire game.  That's not something he was accustomed to just a year ago.That being said, I'd vouch for Kenedy to stay at the club instead of spending time on loan. While he might not become a first choice player for Antonio Conte, he can provide good depth to our squad as one of the few left-footed attackers/defenders available in our first 

weaintgotnohistory

On 28/02/2016 at 1:12 AM, Blue Armour said:

So true Tomo, never can underestimate the impact of full-back who has a flair for attacking...

Ashley himself started out as a forward if I'm not mistaken...

I miss Ashley Cole.

Blue Armour and Beigl like this