Derby v Chelsea

Jase

Cant see many changes for Derby tbh.

The sheer risk of playing relatively untried yoof is a gamble worth 10s or 100s of millions of pounds. This is an uncertainty no business will take. I can never get all sentimental and romantic about 'josh' or RLC. Chelsea is not some charity for lovely Barnados kids, it is now a ruthless business with a brand followed by accolytes all over the world. It will only employ the proven for almost every match.

Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan Chase are not going to give their Senior Investment Analyst positions to young blokes fresh out of college with economics degrees. They have to be seasoned brokers. Same with our club, the board would never risk silverware and millions of pounds on unproven staff.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cinema in fullham broadway is the best cinema ive ever been too, its absolutely huge, and its got a nightclub next door, get wasted, and oh yh, its all inside a train station so you just hop on the underground to go home! random i know

Where your argument regarding pressure fails is that it assumes the ability to deal with pressure comes with age, i disagree. It's an individual thing same with confidence, self esteem etc which are character traits that's embedded in ones DNA, you either have it or you don't hence the phrase winners are born not made.

It only appears as though older players/people deal with pressure better because typically older players/people are put in pressurised situation and asisgned greater level of responsibility far more often than teenagers due to social engineering but there's absolutely no proof that establish senior players deal with pressure better as there are plenty of evidence to the contrary that disporves this myth.

A teenager in Fabregas could deal with the pressure of being the main man and controlling the midfield of a big team like Arsenal , A young Messi was absolutely fantastic for barca, Ronaldo lima won the WPOTY at age 20, Maldini was leading the great Milan defence alongside baresi at age 20, pele was shining domestically and at the int'l stage at age 18 and so on. on the otherhand there have been plenty of experienced players who couldn't deal with the pressure of either leading a team to glory or justifying their transfer fee. pressure is an individual thing and has absolutely no link to age. so the chances are if a youngster is mentally fragile now, he will end up being an established and experienced fragile player with more refined skill but the tendency to choke under certain situations will still be there and no amount of loans, education and training will fix that.

So wilfred zaha flopped even though some would argue that he wasn't given sufficient opportunities but even then how were you able to find out that he couldn't hack it at a top club? because he was given chances to proof it and failed now if our top rated youngsters haven't being given chances nor failed any test thrown at them then how can you oppose their selection in the first team, what are you basing their inability to rise to occassion on.?

It's a cup game huh, so which games do you suggest we select the youngsters in then giving our overly cowardly and cautious approach?. In the league the argument is we are aiming for the title and under pressure, in cup competitions "no second chances, higher potential of risk" either way the youth are never getting any real chances.

Plenty of teams have balanced success with youth integration before. again you are perpetuating a myth and using cliches that lack historical facts.

Arsenal have ALWAYS given their youth players chances with varying levels of success. You sight Fabregas, a player of unrivalled pedigree who left La Masia to seek out first team football.

I have no problem with giving youth players a chance and I don't think Jose does either but in the right situation like Zouma is getting. We have a young team as it is and many players not just youth teamers are fighting to get into a squad that performs at a high level. Who do you propose of our squad players is less deserving of a Q-finals knockout game than some of our youth players? Mikel, who likely won't even make the bench? Ramires, still looking for full fitness? Salah, who hasn't been given much of an opportunity?

Yes its a cup game in the q-finals, youth players should get look-ins during meaningless games like 6-0 vs maribor or sporting lisbon matchday 6. I would also give them look ins at the early stages of the cup competitions which a few of them did get. Lets face it opportunities are scarce when your aim is to win everything, you have to climb above players who are in the eyes of the manager day after day earning his trust, its not exactly the easiest feat. We aren't Arsenal, we are in competitions with the goal of winning them not to give youth a chance to play.

Plenty of teams have balanced success with youth integration before. again you are perpetuating a myth and using cliches that lack historical facts.

GK 30 23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png Costel Pantilimon RB 5 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Pablo Zabaleta CB 4 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Vincent Kompany (c) CB 26 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Martín Demichelis LB 13 23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Aleksandar Kolarov RM 8 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Samir Nasri CM 42 23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.pn Yaya Touré CM 25 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Fernandinho LM 21 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png David Silva CF 10 23px-Flag_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.svg. Edin Džeko CF 16 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Sergio Agüero

GK 25 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Gerhard Tremmel RB 22 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Àngel Rangel CB 24 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png Ki Sung-Yueng ' CB 6 23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Ashley Williams (c) LB 33 23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Ben Davies ' CM 7 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Leon Britton CM 20 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Jonathan de Guzmán RW 12 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Nathan Dyer AM 11 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Pablo Hernández LW 15 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Wayne Routledge CF 9 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Michu

GK 25 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Pepe Reina RB 2 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Glen Johnson CB 37 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Martin Škrtel CB 5 20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Daniel Agger 10px-Sub_off.svg.png86' LB 3 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png José Enrique CM 8 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Steven Gerrard (c) CM 26 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Charlie Adam RW 14 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Jordan Henderson 10px-Yellowcard.svg.png52' 10px-Sub_off.svg.png58' AM 7 23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png Luis Suárez LW 19 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Stewart Downing CF 9 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Andy Carroll 10px-Sub_off.svg.png103

The rosters of the last 3 cup winners.

Derby fan here, Chelsea are my second side (believe it or not), so I thought I'd try and clear somethings up - explain a few things.

We're a very good footballing side and when we're on our game: we move the ball quick, have a lot movement and try to cut teams open. The downside is that when we're feeling under the cosh and up against it, we look jaded but try and play the same way. This leads to mistakes, however, Buxton will be back in the team and he's very assured and calm on the ball. Shotton and Keogh are too similar for me, look to try and force the ball into midfield when it perhaps doesn't need to. It lead to Bamford's goal on Saturday, for example. Also, We've had our two worst performances in our last three games which is worrying.

As for the game, I expect the loan players - Ibe and Mascarell - to be desperate to do well, but with the league in the way it is, I expect the majority to be focused on Saturday.

You will throw us off our game, we haven't had less possession than the opposition in any game this season, but I don't expect that to be the case on Tuesday. It will be a good learning curve. I also read that with Hughes we lack creativity, but that is certainly not the case. Bryson and Hendrick are dynamic players that like having a shot, arriving late into the box, and will get more goals. But, Hughes will start most of our better attacking plays off - a secondary assist player, if you will.

The only position inexperience may be a problem for you is at centre-back. Martin is a very intelligent forward, perfect fodder for Terry to mark, but a less experienced player may come undone by his gravitational pull. If anyone makes it difficult for him, he'll hit the floor and win the free-kick.

I'm not expecting much, I just hope it's not a draw (extra-time, penalties), I'd sooner lose and keep fresh for the Norwich game on Saturday.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Derby fan here, Chelsea are my second side (believe it or not), so I thought I'd try and clear somethings up - explain a few things.

We're a very good footballing side and when we're on our game: we move the ball quick, have a lot movement and try to cut teams open. The downside is that when we're feeling under the cosh and up against it, we look jaded but try and play the same way. This leads to mistakes, however, Buxton will be back in the team and he's very assured and calm on the ball. Shotton and Keogh are too similar for me, look to try and force the ball into midfield when it perhaps doesn't need to. It lead to Bamford's goal on Saturday, for example. Also, We've had our two worst performances in our last three games which is worrying.

As for the game, I expect the loan players - Ibe and Mascarell - to be desperate to do well, but with the league in the way it is, I expect the majority to be focused on Saturday.

You will throw us off our game, we haven't had less possession than the opposition in any game this season, but I don't expect that to be the case on Tuesday. It will be a good learning curve. I also read that with Hughes we lack creativity, but that is certainly not the case. Bryson and Hendrick are dynamic players that like having a shot, arriving late into the box, and will get more goals. But, Hughes will start most of our better attacking plays off - a secondary assist player, if you will.

The only position inexperience may be a problem for you is at centre-back. Martin is a very intelligent forward, perfect fodder for Terry to mark, but a less experienced player may come undone by his gravitational pull. If anyone makes it difficult for him, he'll hit the floor and win the free-kick.

I'm not expecting much, I just hope it's not a draw (extra-time, penalties), I'd sooner lose and keep fresh for the Norwich game on Saturday.

Great post :) good luck for the game against Norwich ;)

Despite popular opinion Steve is no managerial mug and I'm expecting a proper game - it won't be easy.

Should be an interesting one for both fans and the neutrals

Good luck for the rest of the season for Derby too. Hope your club playing in PL for next season. And I like your club badge very much.

Nice to read things like this ahead of the deluge of PSG fans that I am expecting ahead of our games with them.

Thank you DR a really interesting briefing about your side.

One thing - I don't think there will be any real inexperience in our side bar the young CB Zouma who we know will start. He'll probably be partnered by John Terry, while Remy or Drogba might get a game instead of Costa up top. Other than that I'm expecting all of our regular starters to feature. This is not least because most of the youngsters who people were hoping might get a game, played for the U21s on Sunday afternoon. I doubt they'd have been involved in that fixture if Jose had plans for them tonight. The only ones who didn't feature were Ake & Baker so, if fit, I'm guessing they'll be on the bench.

Hi all. I'm new to this. Been a Chels fan (and ST holder) for over 20 years. I signed up because I'm going to Derby for the game tonight and wondered where other travelling fans are going pre-match?

In terms of the game itself, I expect Jose to make changes but field a strong line-up. He, like us, was clearly frustrated by the avoidable defeat v Sunderland in the Capital One Cup last season and looking at the remaining teams, it's a trophy we should aim to win this season and set us up for more silverware later in the year.

Predicted Team: Cech, Luis, Terry, Zouma, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Fabregas, Schurrle, Oscar, Salah, Remy

Predicted Score: 0-2

Up the Chels!

Would like this team:

Cech

Azpi Terry Zouma Luis

Mikel Fabregas

Salah Ramires Schurrle

Remy

subs: Thibo, Christensen, Matic, Baker, Hazard, Oscar, Drogba.

To be realistic I think Matic and one of Oscar/Hazard will start and no way of Christensen will be on bench.

Hi all. I'm new to this. Been a Chels fan (and ST holder) for over 20 years. I signed up because I'm going to Derby for the game tonight and wondered where other travelling fans are going pre-match?

In terms of the game itself, I expect Jose to make changes but field a strong line-up. He, like us, was clearly frustrated by the avoidable defeat v Sunderland in the Capital One Cup last season and looking at the remaining teams, it's a trophy we should aim to win this season and set us up for more silverware later in the year.

Predicted Team: Cech, Luis, Terry, Zouma, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Fabregas, Schurrle, Oscar, Salah, Remy

Predicted Score: 0-2

Up the Chels!

Last season we started drinking in The Royal Telegraph, there weren't many Chelsea in there, but the Derby fans and staff were very welcoming we then moved up to The Crown & Cushion where there was a majority of Chels

Courtois christensen zouma ake luis ramires mikel fabregas schurrles drogba remy

I am sure we wont play unexperience duo of centre backs, if Ake will play he will play as a central midlefielder or left back.

I am sure Zouma will take a chance, i hopevfor some sub-players like Remy for example and be very happy if one player from academy will play.