Filipe Luís

Jase

Ashley had a couple of great years in his 30s. As did Neville. As did Cafu. I think its pretty to naive to cast off any player as soon as they hit 30. In general, footballers are fitter now than theyve ever been.

Defensively maybe but their offensive contributions fell off significantly as they aged because their legs could no longer keep up. We need Felipe Luis to contribute on both ends not just defensively.

And it's funny how you lot keep mentioning fullback legends of the game to prove your point. they are legends for a reason. why not use someone of Felipe Luis class to buttress your point? perhaps because it had be like finding needle in a haystack.

I think the point about fitness is a massive oversimplification and doesn't take into account the individual player's own fitness. The fact is his contract will be four years at most meaning we're talking about a guy who will be 33 by the time he finishes here. That's no different from Ashley Cole or Patrice Evra are now. In fact Luis is younger than Ivanovic and Baines just to put him into context.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a young player who is available at a value price at the moment whilst we have to bear in mind that we do have younger options coming through the academy.

What we are getting is one of the top left-backs in Europe for a couple of seasons minimum. That's not to be sneezed at.

How about Cafu and Roberto Carlos then?

just an (IMO) important caveat about these two: Brazil had to play with 3 DMs (switching to a 3 defender at times), so that the team could actually defend.

Hardly our problem right now since both our FBs are good in defense and Luis also good defensively.

Great player, but also have concerns about his age - not to mention the fact we are signing players after they have a hot/magical season.

Defensively maybe but their offensive contributions fell off significantly as they aged because their legs could no longer keep up. We need Felipe Luis to contribute on both ends not just defensively.

And it's funny how you lot keep mentioning fullback legends of the game to prove your point. they are legends for a reason. why not use someone of Felipe Luis class to buttress your point? perhaps because it had be like finding needle in a haystack.

Theres many more that could be named as an exception given thought.

Why not all stop nitpicking to find faults in everything the club does and get behind the decisions they make. They're spending £19m on this guy, I'm sure they've researched and put more focus on this signing than the average fan on TalkChelsea. In fact, i'm pretty sure they've watched more than an 8 and a half minute YouTube video like most of us have.

He is quality and consistent. He will deliver in small and big games. Something you cant say for Shaw or Rodriguez. Im sure there will be full backs available in 3 years time, once Luis wont be good enough anymore.

We need experience more than youth atm and I would only get Shaw now if i also had good experienced LB too (but it looks Cole wont be staying).

Im all for english players to come and Shaw is more wanted because he is english, not because he would be what we need behind Hazard, neither is he that good yet.

Cecs is 27 too, yet no one complains why did we buy him, instead of going after Barkley. Mou knows whats he doing and he will get proper LB. Money right now is not the issue.

He is quality and consistent. He will deliver in small and big games. Something you cant say for Shaw or Rodriguez. Im sure there will be full backs available in 3 years time, once Luis wont be good enough anymore.

We need experience more than youth atm and I would only get Shaw now if i also had good experienced LB too (but it looks Cole wont be staying).

Im all for english players to come and Shaw is more wanted because he is english, not because he would be what we need behind Hazard, neither is he that good yet.

Cecs is 27 too, yet no one complains why did we buy him, instead of going after Barkley. Mou knows whats he doing and he will get proper LB. Money right now is not the issue.

Well Filipe is 29 (will be shortly) while Fabregas just turned 27. Fullbacks rely more on pace than midfielders, especially Fabregas' position where stamina is far more important.

It's silly to dismiss concerns about his age. It's certainly debatable. Would you consider an accident if he is never able to perform at the same level for Chelsea?

you know there is something wrong with the heads of the fans when they are cribbing about getting one of the best left backs in the world currently who will easily give us 4 good/great years.

spoilt. absolutely spoilt!!!

I like the player, and agree he is one of the best....but 4 good/great years when he's already 29? After seeing someone like Ashley Cole drop off in form from 2011 onward...I doubt Luis can even match that...but I might be wrong,...part of Ashley Cole's game revolved around his physical fitness...maybe Luis is different

• 2 weeks later...

Why on Earth is this taking so long? Atletico tried a Bilbao with us now regarding Costa and Luis clauses? Just announce both signings by the end of next week so we could finish watching the WC and enjoy the summer, knowing our business is almost 100% done and ready for the new season.

I like the player, and agree he is one of the best....but 4 good/great years when he's already 29? After seeing someone like Ashley Cole drop off in form from 2011 onward...I doubt Luis can even match that...but I might be wrong,...part of Ashley Cole's game revolved around his physical fitness...maybe Luis is different

Ashley was having ankle problems at 29. He certainly didn't let it affect his performances for a while, but physically you'd have to think Luis is in better shape than Cole was at the same age.

He is not very good going forward and that is one of the main reasons we need a new LB!

For me, it wouldnt be the best of choices...

I was under the impression that he IS good going forward!?

Just give up dude.

Give up what? all these incredible sources that say we signed Costa and Filipe and we'll here something in a couple days.... how good are these sources if weeks after they make the claim nothing has happened. Its a fucking joke and you guys keep falling for it, like flies to shit.

He is not very good going forward and that is one of the main reasons we need a new LB!

For me, it wouldnt be the best of choices...

well he is not Marcelo, but Marcelo is not even a defender, but he is surely more than good at going forward. He is definetely better than what Cole+Azpi offered offensively the last 1-2 seasons on the left wing.

As Shaw is not available anymore, I cant see any better options left for us.