Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

^^^ This is an exaggeration.

2m more than what the bindippers paid for lallana.

Best signing of the Summer, and we fucking got him. Orrible cunt, but our orrible cunt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11031433/Chelseas-capture-of-Cesc-Fabregas-is-the-best-Premier-League-signing-of-the-summer.html

Huh, I didn't know this:

Mourinho sees Fabregas as the man who can knit his team together.
Incredibly, Chelsea attempted fewer through-balls for their strikers last season than relegated Norwich and considerably fewer than their title rivals.
They expect Fabregas to address that problem. Manchester City’s David Silva played the most through-balls per game last term, but Fabregas beat his 0.59 average in each of his last five seasons for Barcelona and Arsenal.

That's pretty sad if true.

Iceman10 (Forum Member) on Today, 6:06 pm

a_fourteen wrote:Seriously hope we dont boo him at the Emirates like Judas and Nasri. I dont miss him but booing him would be small time. Like Everton do with Arteta.

It all depends on Mourinho and his mind games and whether Cesc feels obliged to play along. Mourinho tried it a few weeks back in terms of saying that Cesc wanted to join Chelsea over Arsenal. Cesc has not played along so far, but that was likely the prelude, and going by the petty way that Mourinho has behaved in the past, inc. with RM Spanish players for having relationships with Barca Spanish players for the good of the NT, Cesc may eventually relent and play along with the mind games out of fear. I hope it does not happen.

GDeep (Forum Member) on Today, 6:21 pm

Cesc is a dirty little rent boy now, hope our fans let that be known... ARSE. :0)

His general passing isn't that good?

I think you're overestimating his slowness and I don't think you've watched Cesc Fàbregas enough (and I don't mean this in a patronizing or derogative way) if you say he isn't a general good passer... I'm surprised to read that...

I agree completely with Mourinho. He's the key we were missing in our puzzle (it's easy to talk about striker, because we played with only one last season - and that's summing all three we had together, meaning we had half of one with Samuel and a quarter of one with either Torres or Ba). He takes us to a new level. People label Mourinho as defensive all the time, but a team to afford, need and want a player of Cesc's caliber isn't a team defensive oriented. It's a team willing to take risks, to want to bring it to the next level. His speed on the ball and off the ball isn't that much important when we have a high press system that proved to work really well and players that can offer him cover. We have pace-y players to make runs to receive his balls, so he isn't missed there either. We missed a brain when we had a lot of muscles and a tad of geniality with Hazard, but Cesc is definitely the brain we've missed. We lost that with Mata and Mata didn't do it the way Cesc does (not better, not worse, just differently, although Cesc is way more versatile than Mata). Hazard can have his fun moments of a genius more freely now, there's someone behind him doing all the thinking. Schurrle can hopefully run and move smartly because there's someone to catch him. Oscar can share the burden of being creative (as it isn't natural to him) with someone else. (and for God's sake, I'm not even remotely implying Eden or any of our other AMs don't think, they do, it's just Cesc is a brilliant, fast mind that sees the whole story in his head in seconds, before executing it).

In a nutshell Fabregas is the player we (or at least me) hoped Josh McEachran would've become. Tempo guy who can pick a pass and has a beautiful picture in his head to pick out passes.

Its a shame Josh has regressed so much, really thought Carlo had him looking good early in his career

That's pretty sad if true.

Torres DOES lack service then :ph34r:

They see Torres upfront and realise there is no point of doing a through ball because as usual he probably will do anything but score. His own teammates know he is that bad they are not bothered to even attempt a through ball to him :lol:

They see Torres upfront and realise there is no point of doing a through ball because as usual he probably will do anything but score. His own teammates know he is that bad they are not bothered to even attempt a through ball to him :lol:

It's pretty depressing I can see this being the truth, lol.

Each time I read we attempted fewer through balls than Norwich, it bemuses me.

How bad was our lack of movement to get less than 1.5 throughpasses per game?

This is another reason schurlle must start, we need the runs as much as the vision from fabregas.

It's a typical Whoscored "stat attack" article that forces far-fetched stats together to prove a point. I've seen so much nonsense articles like that there. I tend not to take them seriously. For instance, it would have been more helpful if the author compared the stats from 2012/13 to 2013/14 to show it's a recurring problem we've had. The author then draws a conclusion that this must mean a "lack of imagination". The fact that Newcastle are up there in the so-called stat tells you everything you need to know. They were so "imaginative" under Pardew last season of course.

Seriously, the point is our possession based play, movement and attack build up paled in comparison to City and Liverpool last year. Or even Everton, a team with far less flair players and finances. They don't have a Fabregas or Hazard but they play much better than us. That's what we need to improve on drastically. The system. Fabregas might be a great player but just placing him into the starting XI isn't going to fix our problems. But whatever. I remain optimistic for the season of course.

Iceman10 (Forum Member) on Today, 6:06 pm

a_fourteen wrote:Seriously hope we dont boo him at the Emirates like Judas and Nasri. I dont miss him but booing him would be small time. Like Everton do with Arteta.

It all depends on Mourinho and his mind games and whether Cesc feels obliged to play along. Mourinho tried it a few weeks back in terms of saying that Cesc wanted to join Chelsea over Arsenal. Cesc has not played along so far, but that was likely the prelude, and going by the petty way that Mourinho has behaved in the past, inc. with RM Spanish players for having relationships with Barca Spanish players for the good of the NT, Cesc may eventually relent and play along with the mind games out of fear. I hope it does not happen.

GDeep (Forum Member) on Today, 6:21 pm

Cesc is a dirty little rent boy now, hope our fans let that be known... ARSE. :0)

I just think it's hilarious Arsenal fans spend most of their time in big matches booing players who have left and WON stuff.

Such a pathetic little fanbase.

Seriously, the point is our possession based play, movement and attacking build up paled in comparison to City and Liverpool last year. Or even Everton, a team with far less flair players and finances. That's what we need to improve on drastically. The system. Fabregas might be a great player but just placing him into the starting XI isn't going to fix our problems.

Filipe Luis will provide more attacking impetus to the left side given that he's an actual left back and will be more comfortable overlapping. The importance of overlaps from fullbacks in modern football as far as building attacks goes simply can't be overstated. Just watch City play. (or Liverpool or Barca or Madrid) When they are attacking, their fullbacks are basically wingers, they're so far up the pitch. Both at the same time too, both very comfortable in possession. We only ever really saw Ivanovic in advanced positions. Azpilicueta hardly ever ventured forward (no fault of his!) Except for the odd cross from Brana, his deliveries were sub-standard and he was/isn't comfortable on the ball. He really is more of a center-back. I hope Jose does something similar with Azpi and Luis with what Pellegrini does with Zabaleta and Kolarov. Pellegrini even does that in a 4-4-2 with one less man in central midfield and with a Toure who is always attacking. Most teams we face are very unambitious against us anyway. While it's a very physical league, there are many poor teams in it. We might as well go for it full on with more bodies in advanced positions next season and much quicker passing and movement from minute one. We can easily overwhelm teams with our quality in the first few minutes of games like Liverpool did. This is when defensive teams are at their most vulnerable.

Costa even without scoring at least will bother CB's with his presence and movement. He at least bothers defenders. (remember Torres vs Aston Villa away? Newcastle away? The list is endless) That inevitably leaves gaps for other players to exploit. He also plays like he wants to be found and never hides 5-10 metres by the wings, away from the 18 yard box like Torres. He fits perfectly into both an attacking and counter-attacking system like any good striker should. Costa at least plays in the box. We need to commit more players to the 18 yard box.

Sometimes last season, there were situations were we needed to score and the opposition had like 5-6 bodies in their penalty area but we had only 1 or 2 players there. This is why I was such a harsh critic of Willian last season. He does that a lot. I'll like to see a stat that shows how many touches he gets in the 18 yard box. What we see is many of our attacks breaking down after some sharp passing just outside the 18. It happens way too often. That's a consequence of not committing others forward and just leaving attacking moves to the "10's" and wingers.

Theoretically and on paper, it makes so much sense that we will win more games and more specifically, play much better football next season. I'm sure about the former, the latter is still in question. It certainly doesn't boil down to Fabregas and his through passes to drastically improve our attacks. However, I remain optimistic for the season of course.

It certainly doesn't boil down to Fabregas and his through passes. However, I remain optimistic for the season of course.

I don't think the article was claiming that it boils down to Fabregas and his through passes. It's simply saying that, unlike our main rivals, last season we lacked a midfielder who does a lot of defence-splitting passes, which is absolutely true. It certainly doesn't boil down to Fabregas--or Hazard--or any single player to make us a better team as a whole, but it's undeniable that now we have more variety in attack than before.

I don't think the article was claiming that it boils down to Fabregas and his through passes. It's simply saying that, unlike our main rivals, last season we lacked a midfielder who does a lot of defence-splitting passes, which is absolutely true. It certainly doesn't boil down to Fabregas--or Hazard--or any single player to make us a better team as a whole, but it's undeniable that now we have more variety in attack than before.

You can only make defense splitting passes when there's space to exploit. How do you split defenses with passes when teams like West Ham play like they did? The article is using one silly stat but the stat also shows Newcastle up there as well which is just, well, silly.

You can only make defense splitting passes when there's space to exploit. How do you split defenses with passes when teams like West Ham play like they did? The article is using one silly stat but the stat also shows Newcastle up there as well which is just, well, silly.

True, but you're making it look like if there's space to exploit, any player can make successful through balls. It is not true. Many don't even attempt to pull them off. Fabregas likes--and is good--at making risky passes. Barcelona almost always plays against parked buses, so there's very little space, and Barcelona have no true runner CF in the team, yet Fabregas still managed to make most through balls in Europe. It's not always just about space. It's also about passing ability and reading the game.

We don't play against West Ham in every game, yet this is how many through balls our midfielders made last season:

Hazard - 7 successful/12 attempted

Matic - 3/3

Mata - 3/4

Ramires - 4/9

Willian - 0/4

Lampard - 1/6

Oscar - 1/2

Mikel - 1/1

This is frankly sad. Only Hazard tried--and succeeded at--riskier passes.

Fabregas - 24/48

True, but you're making it look like if there's space to exploit, any player can make successful through balls. It is not true. Many don't even attempt to pull them off. Fabregas likes--and is good--at making risky passes. Barcelona almost always plays against parked buses, so there's very little space, and Barcelona have no true runner CF in the team, yet Fabregas still managed to make most through balls in Europe. It's not always just about space. It's also about passing ability and reading the game.

We don't play against West Ham in every game, yet this is how many through balls our midfielders made last season:

Hazard - 7 successful/12 attempted

Matic - 3/3

Mata - 3/4

Ramires - 4/9

Willian - 0/4

Lampard - 1/6

Oscar - 1/2

Mikel - 1/1

This is frankly sad. Only Hazard tried--and succeeded at--riskier passes.

Fabregas - 24/48

I'm not picking on Cesc or anything but I doubt that particular stat is as significant as Miguel makes it. i get that he's writing for whoscored and has to throw about some of their statistics but then again, Fabregas was in Barca's midfield and they still struggled against defensive teams last season. I will like to see those stats from two seasons ago if you have a link to them.