Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

All managers prefer a striker who's scoring goals as opposed to one that isn't scoring goals - which is my whole point.

No, not necessarily. Take Fulham for example, Jol picks Berbatove for his overall game play rather than Bent who is a much more prolific goal scorer. Same with Long over Oddemwingie at WBA last season. Welbeck over Chicharito at united. Walters over Jones at Stoke....etc

All managers prefer a striker who's scoring goals as opposed to one that isn't scoring goals - which is my whole point.

I don't think mourinho signed eto'o to be the most prolific striker in Epl neither was his intention to sign rooney about being the most prolific, but the other attributes they possess made rooney and eto'o his strong favourites and so far eto'o has been showing those other qualities but has started scoring also and mourinho knows eto'o may not be as prolific but will still get his fair share of goals and blend with the team. He is forging a telepathic combo with our attacking midfielders, who cares who puts the ball in the net? Eto'o will surely score enough though.

No, not necessarily. Take Fulham for example, Jol picks Berbatove for his overall game play rather than Bent who is a much more prolific goal scorer. Same with Long over Oddemwingie at WBA last season. Welbeck over Chicharito at united. Walters over Jones at Stoke....etc

Firstly Berbatov is as prolific goal scorer in the EPL as Bent

Long wasn't starting infront of Oddemwingie - they were rotated or one was played on the flanks quite often.

Welbeck plays on the wing for United, Hernandez is on the bench because he cannot play on the wing

There is nothing much separating Jones and Walters as far as goals are concerned - both are pretty crap

I don't think mourinho signed eto'o to be the most prolific striker in Epl neither was his intention to sign rooney about being the most prolific, but the other attributes they possess made rooney and eto'o his strong favourites and so far eto'o has been showing those other qualities but has started scoring also and mourinho knows eto'o may not be as prolific but will still get his fair share of goals and blend with the team. He is forging a telepathic combo with our attacking midfielders, who cares he puts the ball in the net? Eto'o will surely score enough though.

Yeah I'm sure the fact that Eto'o and Rooney have a history of scoring goals is not one of the reasons Jose was looking at both players and we were looking at Cavani before them. If Jose felt that they wouldn't score goals first and foremost he wouldn't have gone for either player.

I don't remember if there was a club that has ever won the EPL without at least one of their strikers scoring double digits of goals. As soon as Drogba lost consistency in the League we dropped off in the League. We need a striker to score his share of goals otherwise it's pointless to even have one.

Three years of Torres has made people forget what a striker's job is, trying to justify his awful finishing with link-up play; understanding with the three amigos; holding up the ball; passing well etc None of those things would make him a success scoring loads of goals will do that. A striker is expected to score goals not go 6 months or 24 hours without finding the net.

Eto'o did his job today, so in the he deserves another start next weekend.

Firstly Berbatov is as prolific goal scorer in the EPL as Bent

Long wasn't starting infront of Oddemwingie - they were rotated or one was played on the flanks quite often.

Welbeck plays on the wing for United, Hernandez is on the bench because he cannot play on the wing

There is nothing much separating Jones and Walters as far as goals are concerned - both are pretty crap

Yeah I'm sure the fact that Eto'o and Rooney have a history of scoring goals is not one of the reasons Jose was looking at both players and we were looking at Cavani before them. If Jose felt that they wouldn't score goals first and foremost he wouldn't have gone for either player.

I don't remember if there was a club that has ever won the EPL without at least one of their strikers scoring double digits of goals. As soon as Drogba lost consistency in the League we dropped off in the League. We need a striker to score his share of goals otherwise it's pointless to even have one.

Three years of Torres has made people forget what a striker's job is, trying to justify his awful finishing with link-up play; understanding with the three amigos; holding up the ball; passing well etc None of those things would make him a success scoring loads of goals will do that. A striker is expected to score goals not go 6 months or 24 hours without finding the net.

Eto'o did his job today, so in the he deserves another start next weekend.

It was quite clear that mourinho wasn't officially interested in cavani, he said it himself. If he wanted mainly goals he would have gone for cavani/lewandowski/Jackson martinez/sturridge(Lol) he would even have resisted sending lukaku on loan but no he wanted rooney then eto'o, who can give goals but also other attributes which the others do not really possess but he knows they are not currently as prolific as the others.

Took Torres over 700 minutes to get a goal for CFC and 14 appearances, Eto'o has made 5 appearances and people were already righting him off as not good enough, wanting Torres to start ahead of him.

Stick it to the haters

I agree that the critisicm of Eto'o's performances was premature, but how does giving stick to Torres compensate?

You also have to remember, most people saw Eto'o as a 32 yr old past-it player when he came here. Torres arrived under different circumstances. Naturally the level of patience shown to both would be different.

im with @Las7,

Goals first and foremost. Link up play, working hard for the team and all that jazz all comes second for me. If we can find a forward who scores almost every game we would effectively be 1-0 up before kick off, that's why i would have had Mario Gomez at Chelsea in a heartbeat.

im with @Las7,

Goals first and foremost. Link up play, working hard for the team and all that jazz all comes second for me. If we can find a forward who scores almost every game we would effectively be 1-0 up before kick off, that's why i would have had Mario Gomez at Chelsea in a heartbeat.

Gomez is so overrated, hence why Germany have been playing with a false 9 recently.

He'd not be a good fit for Chelsea. Maybe if we played to his strengths to provide him with a lot of scoring chances then sure he'd be good for us but we play around Oscar, Mata and Hazard so someone who can link up play and run the channels is vital for playing in tandem with those 3.

Anyway I'm glad it didn't take Eto'o 19 games or whatever to score his first goal for us :P

Gomez is so overrated, hence why Germany have been playing with a false 9 recently.

He'd not be a good fit for Chelsea. Maybe if we played to his strengths to provide him with a lot of scoring chances then sure he'd be good for us but we play around Oscar, Mata and Hazard so someone who can link up play and run the channels is vital for playing in tandem with those 3.

Anyway I'm glad it didn't take Eto'o 19 games or whatever to score his first goal for us :P

I could forgive 89 minutes of crap if he scores in the exception minute, to be honest, and if their is one thing Mario will guarantee it's goals.

Regarding the highlighted part, he is already level with Torres in terms of PL goals in 2013.

I don't like limited forwards either but I'd take a limited forward who scores goals over a forward that does other things right but doesn't score goals. Either way I've never though Eto'o is a limited forward/striker, he has many attributes in his game some might be dull due to his years but he is only a stop gap this season in any case and he is starting to score goals which is why he was bought.

which other striker did it?

tumblr_muxft52dyQ1sey8s3o1_500.gif

(Ronaldo - fattie - did in Brazil a couple of years go)

It comes with experience, being cheeky and taking the chance. Perfect move through and through.

Now this thread is funny it's like 1/3 posts of people supporting Eto'o; 1/3 of people badmouthing Torres and 1/3 butthurt about Torres. I mean I wanted both of our strikers to score today. One of them did, great, now bring more of that please, to any of them.

Also I can't see any striker in the world that would score for Chelsea nearly every match or give us a feeling of starting 1x0 because of how we play...

He scored a great goal and he was very smart in that Hazard first. Both things essential in today's victory! Credit where it's due...

However, he isnt playing well at all. I dont think he is being able to cope with the pace of EPL! :(

Totally agree it has clearly been a shock to him :(

He scored a great goal and he was very smart in that Hazard first. Both things essential in today's victory! Credit where it's due...

However, he isnt playing well at all. I dont think he is being able to cope with the pace of EPL! :(

Give him time to acclimatise. 2 years out in the Russian league (even though it isn't that bad of a league) coming to a fast paced league like the PL; it's natural that he'll look off pace here and there.

He's getting better game by game though.