Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

Don't think anyone is saying he was excellent today; most are just saying he had a good game, which is true, and that he should probably be our number one striker because of the threat he has against teams that sit deep because he's technically better than both Torres & Ba.

Excellent today throughout the game. ..

I thought he had a good game, how many times did he get dispossessed or turnover the ball? It must have been single figures, compared to Torres who often hits the 30's in that regard.

He's not a long term option, but for now he should start most matches, especially at home to teams that play with a low block.

Excellent really?? His touch on the first goal was terrible luckily Eden was there. Hopefully more goals to come.

Yeah he lost the ball there while trying to go round the keeper, but i'm mainly talking of when he receives the ball with his back to goal, or when he pulls wide to receive the ball - it usually sticks to his boot.

I voted Eto motm with Marshall!

Also, was it because the goalkeeper bounce the ball on the floor that the goal was allowed?

I remember Henry and RVP doing similar things, but the gks didnt bounce the ball on the floor.

Tbh the rules say the keeper is still in control of the ball even if he is bouncing the ball, but good for him to try and get the ball in the first place

Yup. Goal should not have counted, ref should really know that.

I understand it is forbidden to attack the goalie when he kicks the ball, cos this is really dangerous, But at times it is really difficult to tell whether a keeper bounces the ball, drops it or throws it into his pass. IMO the 6s rule should apply to bouncing but not the "under control" rule. For a goalie, there is no need to bounce the ball at all so there is no reason why that movement should be under protection.

It's not just about the goals, his movement was top class throughout the game. He always managed to create some space for himself which is arguably the biggest issue our strikers have had this season. His passing and link-up play was also very good. He created several chances like the one that Mata mishit early on and the brilliant pass that put hazard through behind the defense at the start of the second half. So, yeah, I think he was excellent today.

It's great that all three of our striker have hit some form lately.

Yeah he lost the ball there while trying to go round the keeper, but i'm mainly talking of when he receives the ball with his back to goal, or when he pulls wide to receive the ball - it usually sticks to his boot.

I might have been a penalty if Eden wasn't there to strike home the advantage.

It's not just about the goals,

I beg to differ! Beating players; setting up others; holding up the ball; closing down defenders; making space are secondary skills for a striker - first and foremost put the ball in the back in the end as many times as possible.

Today Eto'o did his job "well", he could still improve - more of the same and I'd be happy.

I beg to differ! Beating players; setting up others; holding up the ball; closing down defenders; making space are secondary skills for a striker - first and foremost put the ball in the back in the end as many times as possible.

Today Eto'o did his job "well", he could still improve - more of the same and I'd be happy.

In 1990 maybe, but today strikers are first and foremost players in the team. They have defensive duties. Their offensive duties are not limited to scoring but to linking up with other attacking players and creating chancing for others. All managers prefer a complete striker than a poacher. Of course there are exceptions where the striker's ability to score by far out weighs anything else like Falcao at Athletico, but those are just examples. Most strikers that are just poachers find themselves on the bench and get brought on when the team is chasing a game.

In 1990 maybe, but today strikers are first and foremost players in the team. They have defensive duties. Their offensive duties are not limited to scoring but to linking up with other attacking players and creating chancing for others. All managers prefer a complete striker than a poacher. Of course there are exceptions where the striker's ability to score by far out weighs anything else like Falcao at Athletico, but those are just examples. Most strikers that are just poachers find themselves on the bench and get brought on when the team is chasing a game.

All managers prefer a striker who's scoring goals as opposed to one that isn't scoring goals - which is my whole point.