Marco van Ginkel

Spike

He might not turn into a world class player but he works hard and seems to be a player Mou would like working with. I can definitely see him carve out a squad role at least.

for some reason he reminds me of Azpilicueta. They seem to have a lot in common working wise and also their personalities.

Mourinho said just the other day that a team with 11 Azpilicuetas can win the UCL.

I think those kind of guys have a lot of chances with Mourinho, especially if they're willing to do whatever he asks them. I think he's here to stay, regardless of how far he'll go in his career - technically wise.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/3/11/5495482/marco-van-ginkel-injury-update

So, MVG is back! :blue scalf:

I must say it makes me very happy, he will propably not play a great role this season, but I think he could very well be a part of our future midfield pivot.
Even putting the team aside, I think we can all be happy that he recovered so quickly for him personally, he seems like a hard-working guy with a great attitude.
Like Barbara above I too think that he is similar to Azpilicueta.

Maybe he used his rehab to build some muscles? He would benefit from being a bit more buff.

I haven't ever timed a player's recovery from an ACL but this has to be one of the fastest?

_____

Hope he is brought in slowly and given a lot of time and patience. The one thing that stood out for me when I saw him play was his tackling, hope he has still got that!

I don't remember much about his overall play, though.

I hope people don't expect too much from him, when a player is injured they seem to suddenly become much better in some peoples' minds than they were before they were injured!!

Recovery time is 6-9 months so he's certainly at the shorter end of the recovery timeline which you'd expect in a young man who has the best facilities at his disposal. How well he does from now is entirely up to his work ethic but generally it's agreed that 12 months is how long it takes people to get back to where they were.

But then there are cases where it's sooner and the poster boy for that is Adrian Peterson who was back training in four months and went on to have the second greatest season a running back in the NFL has ever had. At the other end of the scale is Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls who waited 12 months until he was fully healed and psychologically comfortable....then he injured his other knee.

There's no rush for him to come back for us. It'd be nice but it's unlikely he's the difference between us winning and losing the title. The big thing for him might be the Dutch World Cup squad. Personally I'd like to see him rehab slowly and be ready for the new season but it's down to him.

As you say, I think we'd do better to slow things down. We're still only in March. Let's look at him at the end of next month and see if he's ready for 90 minutes of football. I know World Cups are massive for players, but how old is he, 20, 21? He'll go to plenty of them.