Strike

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 is definitely not too old and our team could really use some more experienced players to compliment the younger ones. We are talking about a man who has won the European Championship twice and also the World Cup, not to mention all the trophies he has won in his club career. Maybe Xabi isn't as good as he once was but he could still do a good job for two or maybe three years so if the price is right and the manager wants him, I wouldn't say no.

Can see this transfer becoming reality if Mourinho arrives, otherwise not. Much like Carvalho to Real Madrid a few years back when Jose took over.

Are you sure? He hasn't been anywhere near his best even this season. I think he's on the decline.

Besides, NO MORE LIVERPOOL PLAYERS! :readthemessage:

Nah he is really good this season, the difference especially in ucl is more and more team focused their gameplan on stopping alonso. Dortmund did that and Mu certainly did that with welbeck. He is not the most mobile player so team can easily close him down

Xabi Alonso is totally passed his time, I am against this simply for the fact in 1-2 years time we will be looking for another CM/DLP.

Whereas if we go for Moutinho or Modric, we would have ourselves a long term CM!

I don't think alonso pass his time but I completely agree that he is too old.

Moutinho is a good shout, not really sure why we are not linked to any cm since last summer.

We are always linked to schurle,falcao, neymar. I wanted us to get dembele/moutinho last summer but both of them were linked to Spurs

1. That's 3 years younger than Lampard

2. Contract Extension? If he manages to score another goal or two goals, then we should let him leave on a high..

1. Yes? Your point being? We wont sign a 31 year old for that position.

2. What we "should" do isnt always the same thing as what we wlll/are doing.

So because of those two factors you think we've got no chance of signing Xabi? Not even the slightest chance?

I am very confident we wont. I can only see us sign a young(er) midfielder.

I am very confident we wont. I can only see us sign a young(er) midfielder.

We have young midfielders coming through though (McEachran, Oscar, possibly even Baker). If Alonso is relatively cheap as the stories suggest then there's a compelling case to bring him in rather than going for someone like Modric who would probably cost considerably more.

hows that? They are midfielders who would be competing for the same position!

They play different roles in the team. Alonso is more adept at playing a deeper role than Lamps - in my opinion Lamps problem hasn't been that he's too old or that he costs too much, but that he doesn't seem to have a role in the team going forward.

We have young midfielders coming through though (McEachran, Oscar, possibly even Baker). If Alonso is relatively cheap as the stories suggest then there's a compelling case to bring him in rather than going for someone like Modric who would probably cost considerably more.

They play different roles in the team. Alonso is more adept at playing a deeper role than Lamps - in my opinion Lamps problem hasn't been that he's too old or that he costs too much, but that he doesn't seem to have a role in the team going forward.

McEachran? Oh please...

Also, Xabi and Lampard would play the exact same position. What Lampard used to play like isnt relevant.

McEachran? Oh please...

Also, Xabi and Lampard would play the exact same position. What Lampard used to play like isnt relevant.

Josh hasn't had the best of seasons but he could still be a very good player in the right circumstances, with the right guidance. Saying 'oh please' isn't exactly constructive.

As for Frank, I don't know if you've heard but he's out of contract and we don't seem to be rushing to give him a new one. He's been a great player for us but the role that he used to play doesn't seem to exist in our team anymore. If we're looking for a deep-lying playmaker then Alonso would be a great short-term option for us if the price was right.

that doesnt change the fact that it would be one or the other, different role or not, only one will be in the team and I for one would rather see this clubs greatest legend imo have his contract extended than see another benitez foot soldier brought in here. As I say, I know where my loyalties remain but as the special juan and some on here seem to think letting a legend of this club just walk away, no contract,no testimonial, no thanks is no biggie then I guess im in the majority, which isnt really a surprise on here anymore

Josh hasn't had the best of seasons but he could still be a very good player in the right circumstances, with the right guidance. Saying 'oh please' isn't exactly constructive.

As for Frank, I don't know if you've heard but he's out of contract and we don't seem to be rushing to give him a new one. He's been a great player for us but the role that he used to play doesn't seem to exist in our team anymore. If we're looking for a deep-lying playmaker then Alonso would be a great short-term option for us if the price was right.

Its funny though how people seem to see all this potential and are so hopeful about Josh, whilst with Sturridge he was all rubbish. Sure he's a homegrown player, but that makes people somewhat blind I feel. I cannot see anything special about Josh and I doubt he will ever have a true Chelsea career.

Lampard will stay if Jose comes.

He's on a decline? FUCK SHIT NO.

As much as i want him here, he would never ever sign up for us, even if we fucking rain every single Russian rubles we've got lol.

Lad's a fucking Liverpool fan, would actually ruin his career going back to liverpool #SHAME.

that doesnt change the fact that it would be one or the other, different role or not, only one will be in the team and I for one would rather see this clubs greatest legend imo have his contract extended than see another benitez foot soldier brought in here. As I say, I know where my loyalties remain but as the special juan and some on here seem to think letting a legend of this club just walk away, no contract,no testimonial, no thanks is no biggie then I guess im in the majority, which isnt really a surprise on here anymore

Loyalty is one thing, but sentimentality for it's own sake isn't what I'd call a character strength.

if he leaves he'll leave with many thanks as one of our greatest players and representatives of all time but there are financial and sporting realities that exist in the real world. £5 million per season to someone who might not fit what we're trying to do as a club is a lovely tribute, but mightily stupid at the same time.

Its funny though how people seem to see all this potential and are so hopeful about Josh, whilst with Sturridge he was all rubbish. Sure he's a homegrown player, but that makes people somewhat blind I feel. I cannot see anything special about Josh and I doubt he will ever have a true Chelsea career.

Lampard will stay if Jose comes.

What was special about Josh was evident in pretty much every game he played in the academy. He has something that 97% of players will never have, but he's struggled to make the transition from youth team to professional football. He's had a season under his belt in a team that doesn't really suit him but that doesn't mean we should write him off.

I have no idea if Frank will stay if Jose comes, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. At the moment, I don't see it happening though because I don't see where he fits in the team.

A class player, but people with ginger beards haven't worked out too well at this club. Plus, he's like fucking ancient.

In all seriousness he is the type of the player I would LOVE here but his age is a concern for me. He'll be 32 later this year - how much longer does he have at the top level? Our record of buying class players at such an age is a pretty poor one. We've gambled on ex-Liverpool stars in the past and not one of them has worked out, either. I wouldn't be against signing Xabi but if we're going to bring in a 31 year old and offer him a 3/4 four year deal, and then not offer one to Lampard, our greatest-ever player who is "only" three years his senior, is an insult.

The question with Alonso is at what price? He's still a great player but even on a free, do we want to lock into a 3 or 4 year deal at 120K/week or whatever? What if he declines suddenly which is possible and not even unlikely and then we are left paying elite wages to a squad player. (This happened with Lampard on the last year of his contract, imagine that for 3 or 4 years. People love Ferriera, but his contract with us is one of the worst in Chelsea history because we are paying him like a starter for 5 years when he's barely played.)

As for Josh, he is a long long way from Chelsea. In all likelihood, he will never be good enough to play regularly for us, but even if he is, it will take years for him to get good enough.

Loyalty is one thing, but sentimentality for it's own sake isn't what I'd call a character strength.

if he leaves he'll leave with many thanks as one of our greatest players and representatives of all time but there are financial and sporting realities that exist in the real world. £5 million per season to someone who might not fit what we're trying to do as a club is a lovely tribute, but mightily stupid at the same time.

for me to be sentimental for its own sake as you put it would mean I would have to believe frank is finised but want him to stay anyway! I dont believe hes done and i think what he offers off the pitch is as valuable to the younger fellas in the dressing room as what he offers on it. Can still play,knows the club inside out and still knows where the net is..hardly sentimentality

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You