Strike

Are people forgetting that Modric thrived as a DLP in the PL? He didn't play as a CAM when he was playing with Tottenham. He played next to Scott Parker in midfield and had VDV in front of him.

This guy was hands down alongside Yaya Toure the best midfielder in the PL over the last couple of seasons and people are now saying he isn't good enough?

What are people looking for when it comes to improving our pivot? Is it not a link between our defence to attack? That's exactly what Modric excels at - linking up play effectively to his forward players, being a threat outside the box with his decent long shot, holding on to the ball, creating that pass before the assist etc... there's a lot of upsides to Modric's game. I can't genuinely believe anyone with any footballing IQ would call Modric "awful".

Yeah he's not as excellent defensively but you don't always need extra defensive cover in your pivot at all times. You don't need two overly defensive players in your pivot. The majority of teams we play against sit deep and allow us to have the ball - if you have someone like Modric in your team when you're allowed to have the ball your team is guaranteed to play a lot better.

Modric would still be an outstanding signing if the fee wasn't too high IMO, he fits the bill exactly.

Played as a CAM in both of those matches.

He didn't play CAM against Dortmund in the second leg. He had Ozil in front of him and then Kaka - he played in the pivot and was one of Madrid's best players. Xabi sacrificed his role as the ball distributor and gave it Modric simply because he's the more dynamic ball distributor - exactly what Real needed as they were down by three goals and Borussia sat deep trying to counter - doesn't that sound familiar? Teams do this against us ALL the time, they give our pivot too much space/time because our main offensive threat are the three behind the striker - Modric would completely change that as teams would be forced to come press him and thus creating more space for those in front of him - and you wouldn't even have to be scared about Luka losing the ball as he's excellent at holding onto it.

Modric would add SO much to this team. More so than Xabi would - but Xabi would still be a great signing if we could get him for a good price as he's an excellent ball distributor himself. I prefer Modric because he's more dynamic and because we've got dynamic players such as Hazard, Mata and Oscar infront of our pivot he'd fit in a lot better.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people forgetting that Modric thrived as a DLP in the PL? He didn't play as a CAM when he was playing with Tottenham. He played next to Scott Parker in midfield and had VDV in front of him.

This guy was hands down alongside Yaya Toure the best midfielder in the PL over the last couple of seasons and people are now saying he isn't good enough?

What are people looking for when it comes to improving our pivot? Is it not a link between our defence to attack? That's exactly what Modric excels at - linking up play effectively to his forward players, being a threat outside the box with his decent long shot, holding on to the ball, creating that pass before the assist etc... there's a lot of upsides to Modric's game. I can't genuinely believe anyone with any footballing IQ would call Modric "awful".

Yeah he's not as excellent defensively but you don't always need extra defensive cover in your pivot at all times. You don't need two overly defensive players in your pivot. The majority of teams we play against sit deep and allow us to have the ball - if you have someone like Modric in your team when you're allowed to have the ball your team is guaranteed to play a lot better.

Modric would still be an outstanding signing if the fee wasn't too high IMO, he fits the bill exactly.

He didn't play CAM against Dortmund in the second leg. He had Ozil in front of him and then Kaka - he played in the pivot and was one of Madrid's best players. Xabi sacrificed his role as the ball distributor and gave it Modric simply because he's the more dynamic ball distributor - exactly what Real needed as they were down by three goals and Borussia sat deep trying to counter - doesn't that sound familiar? Teams do this against us ALL the time, they give our pivot too much space/time because our main offensive threat are the three behind the striker - Modric would completely change that as teams would be forced to come press him and thus creating more space for those in front of him - and you wouldn't even have to be scared about Luka losing the ball as he's excellent at holding onto it.

Modric would add SO much to this team. More so than Xabi would - but Xabi would still be a great signing if we could get him for a good price as he's an excellent ball distributor himself. I prefer Modric because he's more dynamic and because we've got dynamic players such as Hazard, Mata and Oscar infront of our pivot he'd fit in a lot better.

What do mean 'now people are now

saying he is shit'? I've always said that, I never wanted him. Thought he was overrated and average then and just as much now. I don't even think Yaya Toure is that great, he can be, but half if the time he us a lazy git. Modrić has always been a poor CM for a two man midfield for me. He'd be great on a three man though.

I don't want overly defensive players on the 4-2-3-1. Not saying that. I just don't want a CAM masquerading as CM in the midfield. Oscar can just be put there if an overky attacking player us what you desire. No need for this guy. Ideally it would be Alonso and someone like Moutinho or Cabaye. Even Beñat and his 100000 yellow cards would be better. Modrić should be playing in a 4-3-3 if anything not a two man midfield. A perfect midfield could be Alonso - Moutinho - Modrić. But fuck that noise, because Mata would be on the wing

I get the point but Chelsea are defensively reliant on the pivot and Modric has little or nothing appreciable on his defensive game. The problem is Mata in all this and it's ironic that he's our best player. Mata at CAM does almost no tracking back and so, the midfield pivot has extra defensive duties.

What do mean 'now people are now

saying he is shit'? I've always said that, I never wanted him. Thought he was overrated and average then and just as much now. I don't even think Yaya Toure is that great, he can be, but half if the time he us a lazy git.

I don't want overly defensive players on the 4-2-3-1. Not saying that. I just don't want a CAM masquerading as CM in the midfield. Oscar can just be put there if an overky attacking player us what you desire. No need for this guy. Ideally it would be Alonso and someone like Moutinho or Cabaye. Even Beñat and his 100000 yellow cards would be better. Modrić should be playing in a 4-3-3 if anything not a two man midfield. A perfect midfield could be Alonso - Moutinho - Modrić. But fuck that noise, because Mata would be on the wing

But the thing is though, Modric played at CM in the PL for years and performed excellently, a lot of people mutually agreed he was the best CM in the PL. He wasn't playing at CAM.

I don't see why a team consisting of someone like Mikel who compliments Modric quite well, whilst still having Oscar, Mata and Hazard in front of them won't work. The notion that Modric needs to be in a 3 man midfield and be the most advanced midfielder in that is invalid IMO simply because he played with a more forward thinking midfielder (VDV) for years at Spurs. His two of his three best performances in Real shirt have come in their pivot.

I get the point but Chelsea are defensively reliant on the pivot and Modric has little or nothing appreciable on his defensive game. The problem is Mata in all this and it's ironic that he's our best player. Mata at CAM does almost no tracking back and so, the midfield pivot has extra defensive duties.

People are acting like playing Modric in the pivot is like playing a striker there. He does have a decent defensive game, he got away with playing next to the likes of Parker and Palacios for years at Spurs whilst having someone like VDV in front of him - tell me, how does that work if Modric isn't decent in his defensive work? We're reliant on our pivot yes but one of the problems we've had this season is the distribution out of the pivot, and if we're aiming to become the dynamic team that we want to be then having a player like Modric who alleviates the pressure and keeps possession is vital. We don't have anything like that in our pivot right now, so signing Modric would be a brilliant signing in my opinion.

People are acting like playing Modric in the pivot is like playing a striker there. He does have a decent defensive game, he got away with playing next to the likes of Parker and Palacios for years at Spurs whilst having someone like VDV in front of him - tell me, how does that work if Modric isn't decent in his defensive work? We're reliant on our pivot yes but one of the problems we've had this season is the distribution out of the pivot, and if we're aiming to become the dynamic team that we want to be then having a player like Modric who alleviates the pressure and keeps possession is vital. We don't have anything like that in our pivot right now, so signing Modric would be a brilliant signing in my opinion.

. His tackling is poor. No strength to speak of. His defensive game is limited to basic closing down. With Mata basically playing as a forward, the pivot needs to be more defensive.

I agree with the later half of your point. Playmaking-wise he's a good player. He offers dribbling from deep as well but he wouldn't be my first choice

But the thing is though, Modric played at CM in the PL for years and performed excellently, a lot of people mutually agreed he was the best CM in the PL. He wasn't playing at CM.

I don't see why a team consisting of someone like Mikel who compliments Modric quite well, whilst still having Oscar, Mata and Hazard in front of them won't work. The notion that Modric needs to be in a 3 man midfield and be the most advanced midfielder in that is invalid IMO simply because he played with a more forward thinking midfielder (VDV) for years at Spurs.

So the fact the more people agree that Modrić is a great CM than not makes my opinion invalid? That's a bullshit argument Skips and you know it, popular opinion means nothing here. It does not make him a good player and doesn't make you correct.

Tottenham were shit and still are, just because it worked for the piddling ambitions doesn't mean it will here. Besides VDV, Bale, Lennon, Parker all work tremendously harder in defence than the likes of Hazard, Mata, Lamps and even goddamn Mikel. They weren't fantastic at it but they still worked harder. Not even mentioning the fact that Tottenham excelled at quick incisive counter attacking football. Does Chelsea play that way? Modrić had the likes if absolute pace whores in Walker, Lennon, Bake and even Defoe. Now Chelsea has quick players but not on that level.

it makes more sense to re-sign frank or bring in alonso because like previously stated we have players who can fit the bill to play that position and could use his experience and guidance to become future world class DLPs... if we buy someone like witsel or modric we might as well sell Oscar and KDB cause you are turning them into squad players where as they could start at any other teams in europe... Oscar especially considering right now in terms of productivity he is not producing like Hazard and Mata.. and I for one would not like to see oscar in another team other than chelsea..

With Real (probably) changing coach, there are reports that "new Real" will tend to play more attacking, attractive football. 4:3:3 is mentioned with both Modric and Ozil together to be centre of this new play. I dont see Modric comming here anymore...but I would still take him in sec.

With Real (probably) changing coach, there are reports that "new Real" will tend to play more attacking, attractive football. 4:3:3 is mentioned with both Modric and Ozil together to be centre of this new play. I dont see Modric comming here anymore...but I would still take him in sec.

I'd take Modric at the right price....but to be honest, if we really want to invest into our midfield for the next decade, we should try to sign Witsel.

I'd take Modric at the right price....but to be honest, if we really want to invest into our midfield for the next decade, we should try to sign Witsel.

WIlshere would be best pick, english, hard workig, equaly good at creating chances and defending duties. Impossible but would be some player here...him and Song in pivot :D

. His tackling is poor. No strength to speak of. His defensive game is limited to basic closing down. With Mata basically playing as a forward, the pivot needs to be more defensive.

I agree with the later half of your point. Playmaking-wise he's a good player. He offers dribbling from deep as well but he wouldn't be my first choice

No, I don't agree with your first point, simply because I'm a firm believer of defensive cohesion as a team. We shouldn't solely be relying on the pivot to do the majority of the defensive work, it needs to be a collective thing. It's what Bayern do so effectively for example.

Besides, ask yourself this - if we are facing teams like QPR, Southampton and other mid table teams - do we really need as much protection in the pivot? I don't think so - I'd rather us take the initiative and someone like Modric in your team would provide you that.

So the fact the more people agree that Modrić is a great CM than not makes my opinion invalid? That's a bullshit argument Skips and you know it, popular opinion means nothing here. It does not make him a good player and doesn't make you correct.

Tottenham were shit and still are, just because it worked for the piddling ambitions doesn't mean it will here. Besides VDV, Bale, Lennon, Parker all work tremendously harder in defence than the likes of Hazard, Mata, Lamps and even goddamn Mikel. They weren't fantastic at it but they still worked harder. Not even mentioning the fact that Tottenham excelled at quick incisive counter attacking football. Does Chelsea play that way? Modrić had the likes if absolute pace whores in Walker, Lennon, Bake and even Defoe. Now Chelsea has quick players but not on that level.

You make valid points regarding Modric's situation at Tottenham but surely you can't say he's an awful CM even if you don't like him?

As I mentioned above - having someone like Modric against the lesser teams would be so beneficial to the team it's unreal, in my honest opinion. Having someone who's as proficient as Modric is in his passing or driving forward the ball from deeper positions is priceless - it's what Luiz has sort of been doing for us. We obviously disagree on the matter though so we'll just leave it there.

No, I don't agree with your first point, simply because I'm a firm believer of defensive cohesion as a team. We shouldn't solely be relying on the pivot to do the majority of the defensive work, it needs to be a collective thing. It's what Bayern do so effectively for example.

Besides, ask yourself this - if we are facing teams like QPR, Southampton and other mid table teams - do we really need as much protection in the pivot? I don't think so - I'd rather us take the initiative and someone like Modric in your team would provide you that.

Bayern is an ideal example. Ribery and Muller are much better at tracking back than Hazard and Oscar. But yes, that is the model Chelsea should be going for. Relentless in attack but also regaining defensive shape quickly.

Also, look at the Bayern midfield - Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Martinez are hard-workers unlike Modric. With the current midfielders we have, we do need protection in the pivot imo.

Bayern is an ideal example. Ribery and Muller are much better at tracking back than Hazard and Oscar. But yes, that is the model Chelsea should be going for. Relentless in attack but also regaining defensive shape quickly.

Also, look at the Bayern midfield - Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Martinez are hard-workers unlike Modric. With the current midfielders we have, we do need protection in the pivot imo.

Hazard and Oscar can easily become as hard working as Ribery & Muller, they just need a manager to instill that hard working spirit into them.

And Modric is hardworking - he's just reluctant to put in the tackle as you mentioned before but that doesn't mean he doesn't work hard for his team. We need protection in the pivot yes, but not to an extent where we need two defensive minded players. If you pair someone like Mikel with Modric then you have a nicely balanced pivot.

Hazard and Oscar can easily become as hard working as Ribery & Muller, they just need a manager to instill that hard working spirit into them.

And Modric is hardworking - he's just reluctant to put in the tackle as you mentioned before but that doesn't mean he doesn't work hard for his team. We need protection in the pivot yes, but not to an extent where we need two defensive minded players. If you pair someone like Mikel with Modric then you have a nicely balanced pivot.

Not really convinced about Mikel but that's another issue anyway. Already deviated a little by talking about Modric in the Xabi Alonso thread

WIlshere would be best pick, english, hard workig, equaly good at creating chances and defending duties. Impossible but would be some player here...him and Song in pivot :D

Wilshere is not as good at defending as he is creating chances. When he loses the ball he stays up the pitch most times creating a massive gap in midfield which often leaves Arteta outnumbered, that is why Wenger has had to play him as a attacking midfielder most of the time with Cazorla on the left wing. Also he wouldn't be adequate as a DLP as his game is based on committing players to foul him basically and slipping short passes through tight gaps for his team mates to score from like one he did for Walcott before he got injured, against Stoke I think... maybe not...

I've been wanting Alonso for a while. It's a shame he doesn't have too many years left and his best is behind him. He can still be a classy midfielder for a couple years, maybe 3 even.

At his current level he'd be still one of the best Deep Lying playmakers/Midfielders in the League and hopefully can resist decline or even improve with Age ala Pirlo.

• 5 weeks later...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You