Strike

I find it funny that Mourinho's first purchase (reportedly at this point to be fair to him) would be a 31 year old midfielder on ridiculous wages.

We all had hopes of our younger players stepping up and perhaps buying others in areas we want improved. Nobody wanted this just a month ago and now people are arguing that it's fine, it makes sense etc. We might as well keep Lampard and Essien in that case, at least they're proper Chelsea heroes. I don't want another ex-Liverpool mug in this team.

KDB having a fine season. Will Mourinho even give him a look?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With RA rules on 30+ year olds it would be a kick in the nuts to our older palyers, specifically Frank.

"i want a new contract"

"you're over 30 , Frank"

"...I scored a few"

"I scored a shit load of russian standard last night and you dont hear me asking for a new contract. you're too old. bye"

*signs 32 year old*

The question with Alonso is at what price? He's still a great player but even on a free, do we want to lock into a 3 or 4 year deal at 120K/week or whatever? What if he declines suddenly which is possible and not even unlikely and then we are left paying elite wages to a squad player. (This happened with Lampard on the last year of his contract, imagine that for 3 or 4 years. People love Ferriera, but his contract with us is one of the worst in Chelsea history because we are paying him like a starter for 5 years when he's barely played.)

As for Josh, he is a long long way from Chelsea. In all likelihood, he will never be good enough to play regularly for us, but even if he is, it will take years for him to get good enough.

It all depends on his price and his demands. If he cost £10 million and his wage demands were £100k p/w then that's roughly £25 million over three years. He'd have almost no resale value but we could get three years out of a top quality playmaker who knows this league.

Moutinho would cost at least £20 million and Modric closer to £30 million before you factor in wages.

Josh is a long way off but I'm not ready to say he isn't likely to be a starter for us. Give him three years sitting behind one of the best playmakers around and maybe he can take over, and if he can't then maybe someone like Loftus-Cheek will be ready.

I find it funny that Mourinho's first purchase (reportedly at this point to be fair to him) would be a 31 year old midfielder on ridiculous wages.

We all had hopes of our younger players stepping up and perhaps buying others in areas we want improved. Nobody wanted this just a month ago and now people are arguing that it's fine, it makes sense etc. We might as well keep Lampard and Essien in that case, at least they're proper Chelsea heroes. I don't want another ex-Liverpool mug in this team.

KDB having a fine season. Will Mourinho even give him a look?

Who? Which young buck are we going to have in the midfield two that we've been playing this year, that our youth teams have adopted and that Mourinho has used in Madrid?

De Bruyne? Well he hasn't played there this season but he could be worth a look. Oscar? Potentially going forward. He has the work rate and passing ability to do a job there.

Essentially we're looking for someone who plays like Alonso does, right? Someone who can recycle possession, spray the ball around and contribute with a goal or too? Ideally he'd have knowledge of this league, have experience playing in a system similar to our's and maybe even have experience working under our (hopefully) future manager.

He used to play for Liverpool yes, but he's a Real Madrid player now. The last midfielder we bought from Madrid who was over 30 was some guy called Claude Makelele, but he somehow overcame his overthirtyness to be a decent player from what I recall.

Alonso and Lampard are different players. They're slightly different ages, but they do different things with the football at their feet. Alonso won't score 20 goals a season. No midfielder that we sign this summer will probably score that many, but that's okay. That's not what we need in that position to be honest.

Didn't know clapping was a form of insult... I'll keep it in mind for next time.

You know what you were implying by posting it. Unless you were sincerely congratulating and applauding him, but I don't think that was the case.

But whatever don't mind me, I'm not in a good place at the moment.

So your FOR signing Alonso, but AGAINST re-signing Frank?

wow... :clap:

I'd be for signing a player who does exactly what we need if it was for a good price. I love Frank as much as anyone but being realistic I'm not sure where he fits in the team next year. With Alonso I can see exactly where he'd fit.

In all honesty I've always been a fan of Alonso because he's just such a great footballer to watch. I also wanted us to sign Gerrard back in 2005. The whole 'he used to play for Liverpool stuff' is a little overblown and he's almost played as many games for Real as he did for the Scousers.

That said if Mourinho comes in and re-signs Lamps because he has a specific role for him in the team then I'll trust him and be happy, but at the moment I'm not too convinced that will happen.

It all depends on his price and his demands. If he cost £10 million and his wage demands were £100k p/w then that's roughly £25 million over three years. He'd have almost no resale value but we could get three years out of a top quality playmaker who knows this league.

Moutinho would cost at least £20 million and Modric closer to £30 million before you factor in wages.

Josh is a long way off but I'm not ready to say he isn't likely to be a starter for us. Give him three years sitting behind one of the best playmakers around and maybe he can take over, and if he can't then maybe someone like Loftus-Cheek will be ready.

Who? Which young buck are we going to have in the midfield two that we've been playing this year, that our youth teams have adopted and that Mourinho has used in Madrid?

De Bruyne? Well he hasn't played there this season but he could be worth a look. Oscar? Potentially going forward. He has the work rate and passing ability to do a job there.

Essentially we're looking for someone who plays like Alonso does, right? Someone who can recycle possession, spray the ball around and contribute with a goal or too? Ideally he'd have knowledge of this league, have experience playing in a system similar to our's and maybe even have experience working under our (hopefully) future manager.

He used to play for Liverpool yes, but he's a Real Madrid player now. The last midfielder we bought from Madrid who was over 30 was some guy called Claude Makelele, but he somehow overcame his overthirtyness to be a decent player from what I recall.

Alonso and Lampard are different players. They're slightly different ages, but they do different things with the football at their feet. Alonso won't score 20 goals a season. No midfielder that we sign this summer will probably score that many, but that's okay. That's not what we need in that position to be honest.

Are we really though? He's a good passer but athletically he doesn't fit the ball. Why settle when we could identify somebody younger and more long-term? I've heard many people complain this season about Mikel, Lampard and Romeu's lack of athleticism and that Ramires aside our midfield is way too slow. Alonso would just add to the problem despite his good passing. We saw what the super dynamic midfields of Dortmund and Bayern did to technically gifted but slower/weaker players in Busquets, Alonso, Xavi, Khedira etc. They steamrollered them with their superior physical ability. We've seen what City have done to our midfield this season. I really don't see how Alonso would help.

You know what you were implying by posting it. Unless you were sincerely congratulating and applauding him, but I don't think that was the case.

But whatever don't mind me, I'm not in a good place at the moment.

that's right, Broncos just lost! Up the bunnies lol!

I'd be for signing a player who does exactly what we need if it was for a good price. I love Frank as much as anyone but being realistic I'm not sure where he fits in the team next year. With Alonso I can see exactly where he'd fit.

In all honesty I've always been a fan of Alonso because he's just such a great footballer to watch. I also wanted us to sign Gerrard back in 2005. The whole 'he used to play for Liverpool stuff' is a little overblown and he's almost played as many games for Real as he did for the Scousers.

That said if Mourinho comes in and re-signs Lamps because he has a specific role for him in the team then I'll trust him and be happy, but at the moment I'm not too convinced that will happen.

bullseye!

Are we really though? He's a good passer but athletically he doesn't fit the ball. Why settle when we could identify somebody younger and more long-term? I've heard many people complain this season about Mikel, Lampard and Romeu's lack of athleticism and that Ramires aside our midfield is way too slow. Alonso would just add to the problem despite his good passing. We saw what the super dynamic midfields of Dortmund and Bayern did to technically gifted but slower/weaker players in Busquets, Alonso, Xavi, Khedira etc. They steamrollered them with their superior physical ability. We've seen what City have done to our midfield this season. I really don't see how Alonso would help.

Bayern set up with Schweinsteiger and Martinez who are strong players, but definitely not in the Ramires mould. The guy they have closest to that would be Gustavo who I think came off the bench in the second leg, but not the first (could be totally wrong on that). I think we could cope with Alonso and Chalo.....Romeu. :halo:

What we need is guys who can provide a stable platform and good ball for Mata and Hazard to work their magic. I actually think Alonso is a pretty robust player to be fair, especially now De Jong is on an Italian treatment table, and he never looked outmatched in his time at Liverpool. If you want to really get stuck in physically then I doubt Moutinho or Modric would offer much more so you'd be looking to go for a Ramires/Romeu/Mikel/Luiz midfield anyway.

Ultimately it comes down to how much he costs and if the price is right then he provides more options.

Bayern set up with Schweinsteiger and Martinez who are strong players, but definitely not in the Ramires mould. The guy they have closest to that would be Gustavo who I think came off the bench in the second leg, but not the first (could be totally wrong on that). I think we could cope with Alonso and Chalo.....Romeu. :halo:

What we need is guys who can provide a stable platform and good ball for Mata and Hazard to work their magic. I actually think Alonso is a pretty robust player to be fair, especially now De Jong is on an Italian treatment table, and he never looked outmatched in his time at Liverpool. If you want to really get stuck in physically then I doubt Moutinho or Modric would offer much more so you'd be looking to go for a Ramires/Romeu/Mikel/Luiz midfield anyway.

Ultimately it comes down to how much he costs and if the price is right then he provides more options.

I don't doubt that Alonso's passing is very good and he would feed Hazard/Mata etc better balls to work their magic. The only real gripe is it's a short-term solution and many people though we'd moved on from that way of thinking.

I wasn't saying Schweinsteiger and Martinez are even close to being the athlete Ramires is because he's truly one of a kind but they're much stronger and more mobile than the Alonso's of this world.

Here's the touches of the ball Martinez had against Barcelona in the 4-0 win last week (he was literally everywhere pressing all over the pitch not giving an inch to guys like Iniesta).

BInu_Zp_CIAM_hv_B.jpg

Romeu is probably the least mobile of our midfielders. He's so slow it's sad. An Aloso-Romeu partnership would be a disaster.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You