Strike

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're being naive. First of all you don't move from Liverpool to Real Madrid for 30m and not get a massive increase in salary. If we were to sign him it would be his last 'big' contract in football considering his age so it would be more than what he's on now. Why not invest that money into a younger player that could be here for the next 6+ years?

I really doubt it'd be a cut-price deal when you factor in his salary. Makelele was great but we were desperate for instant success then and money didn't matter then (no FFP). I'd like to think we're thinking long-term now and a soon to be 32 year old player on big wages doesn't fit into that scenario for me.

I doubt he was on 100k p/w at Liverpool in the first place. The point I was making was to buy Xabi until say Josh had played more football and was capable of playing in the first team. Hes not ready, why buy another younger player when we already have Josh, Nate, Romeu, De Bruyne and Oscar who could all potentially play as a CM for at least 10 years?

When you have Xabi Alonso you have many players in one. An anchorman, a normal defensive midfielder, and then there's the playmaker in him. Playmakers typically get better with age like a fine wine. (See Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes). Alonso may have had more stamina in his Liverpool days, but he's a leader now with damn good decision-making and incredible vision.

Same thing they said about Pirlo when we nearly signed him...

First, Pirlo is in a completely different class to Xabi. Second, the reason Pirlo's performances dropped for Milan before he left was because he was forced to play out of position. Xabi's performances have been sub-par in the exact same position he will be playing here.

Xabi Alonso is totally passed his time, I am against this simply for the fact in 1-2 years time we will be looking for another CM/DLP.

Whereas if we go for Moutinho or Modric, we would have ourselves a long term CM!

First, Pirlo is in a completely different class to Xabi. Second, the reason Pirlo's performances dropped for Milan before he left was because he was forced to play out of position. Xabi's performances have been sub-par in the exact same position he will be playing here.

Xabi Alonso is totally passed his time, I am against this simply for the fact in 1-2 years time we will be looking for another CM/DLP.

Whereas if we go for Moutinho or Modric, we would have ourselves a long term CM!

Well, I disagree to be honest. I think he'd be a good signing given a decent price, sometimes you need a change of scenery in order for you to get back on top.

I'm not saying he's the only option we should look at, but I wouldn't complain about his signing, IMO he's still one of the best in his position and can give us 3/4 years of top level play. I'd be happy with either him, Modric or Moutinho.

Do people honestly think there is even a slight chance Xabi would join us? lol

Are you suggesting he wouldn't because of his Liverpool association or?

We've seen Torres and Rafa Benitez, who were both more important to Liverpool, join us. Why wouldn't Xabi?

Are you suggesting he wouldn't because of his Liverpool association or?

We've seen Torres and Rafa Benitez, who were both more important to Liverpool, join us. Why wouldn't Xabi?

1. He is 31

2. Lampards contract extention.

I doubt he was on 100k p/w at Liverpool in the first place. The point I was making was to buy Xabi until say Josh had played more football and was capable of playing in the first team. Hes not ready, why buy another younger player when we already have Josh, Nate, Romeu, De Bruyne and Oscar who could all potentially play as a CM for at least 10 years?

Josh Mceachran will end up as a squad player for Chelsea. Signing Xabi won't affect Josh.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You