Roman Abramovich Thread

2 hours ago, manpe said:

:dunno: Doesn't have a word about Abramovich.

I assume that this slant is that May, if she and Parliament go all out against Russia over the spy poisoning, etc, may do things like seize or freeze Abramovich's assets here in the UK, or revoke his residence permit, etc. Abramovich is thick as thieves with Putin for ages, so it could get ugly.

31 minutes ago, the wes said:

I know But the government can freeze his financial assets or take away Roman visa to live in the uk

This situation is quite strange. Granted, I'm not briefed on details, but I read a quote from May not long ago where she said that the poisoning was most likely organized by Russia (speculation? proven?). As far as I know the investigation is still ongoing? Yet UK's government has already convicted Russia and drawn up punishments really quickly. I also heard that near that town is some kind of center for chemical weapon research, is this true? On the surface, to a casual yet critical observer like me, this case sounds strange.

Question to UK politics experts on here: Would your prime minister have anything to gain by fucking off Russians?

Just another billionaire who happened to care about the progress of the club throughout. Fresh change is probably required to get Chelsea on the right start after 11-12 years of not knowing what the hell the club's vision really is.

Still have no clue today.

Look at the bigger picture the reason that English football is so massive is indirectly because of Abramovich. Do you think the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Brighton would be in the top tier of football on the budgets and crowds they used to have?. Since 2003 yes Chelsea were the club who got given the golden goose so to speak but the TV deals and rewards have benefitted every other club who have found themselves in the Premier League. Man City being the obvious one but Spurs before 2003 were a mid table club now there a force and moving into a 60,000 stadium would that have happened before Roman came would it fuck.

There have been some real shitheads who have bought football clubs since and have ruined them but the blame there is firmly at the F.A's door with their fit and proper persons rule. I can't believe there are fans saying stupid things like get Roman out and get the Arabs in no wait actually I can because they had never heard of Chelsea till 15 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 0:58 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

“There is history the way Tolstoy imagined it, as a great, slow-moving weather system in which even tsars and generals are just leaves before the storm. And there is history the way Hollywood imagines it, as a single story line in which the right move by the tsar or the wrong move by the general changes everything. Most of us, deep down, are probably Hollywood people. We like to invent “what if” scenarios--what if x had never happened, what if y had happened instead?--because we like to believe that individual decisions make a difference: that, if not for x, or if only there had been y, history might have plunged forever down a completely different path. Since we are agents, we have an interest in the efficacy of agency.” Louis Menand

I am grateful what Roman, managers and players have done but when I think about our fans, the buzzing atmosphere at the bridge, the history and the location of this club I feel so optimistic about Chelsea.

Conte has done that, Roman will appoint this, that player missed that chance makes a difference today but in the long term the storm is still very strong and our rivals seem like leaves to me. 

On 3/18/2018 at 0:10 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

Look at the bigger picture the reason that English football is so massive is indirectly because of Abramovich.

To a marginal extent only.

It is more true to say that Roman is in English football because it was already big before he arrived. More true, but not wholly so because we must also factor in that Football Association rules and national legislation make it easier for overseas owners to buy in to our clubs than is the case in some other countries. Premier League revenue growth was already well underway before Roman arrived. My own view is that the long standing international popularity of England's top division, which predates the Premier League, is more to do with the emotional attachment people felt towards Man Utd after Munich, the fact that the1966 World Cup was the first to be televised with anything even approaching modern standards, that outside of the World Cup, The FA Cup Final was the only show-piece football occasion people saw around the world, that Liverpool's dominance during the 70's & early 80's made them a worldwide fascination, that the cultural ties between Britain and some of the world's biggest markets were strong, and most importantly there was a gap to be filled. Like The Beatles, English football was the right product at the right time.

On 3/18/2018 at 0:10 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

Do you think the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Brighton would be in the top tier of football on the budgets and crowds they used to have?

I don't see why not since it's all relative. Without the huge revenue injections they would certainly have had lesser budgets but so too would the teams they were competing with. In any case, during their rise to the top tier, they have regularly outperformed clubs with bigger resources than they could call on. Let's remember that many clubs have made the same climb before the Premier League came into being, including teams with even fewer resources than those you mention.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 0:41 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

To a marginal extent only.

It is more true to say that Roman is in English football because it was already big before he arrived. More true, but not wholly so because we must also factor in that Football Association rules and national legislation make it easier for overseas owners to buy in to our clubs than is the case in some other countries. Premier League revenue growth was already well underway before Roman arrived. My own view is that the long standing international popularity of England's top division, which predates the Premier League, is more to do with the emotional attachment people felt towards Man Utd after Munich, the fact that the1966 World Cup was the first to be televised with anything even approaching modern standards, that outside of the World Cup, The FA Cup Final was the only show-piece football occasion people saw around the world, that Liverpool's dominance during the 70's & early 80's made them a worldwide fascination, that the cultural ties between Britain and some of the world's biggest markets were strong, and most importantly there was a gap to be filled. Like The Beatles, English football was the right product at the right time.

I don't see why not since it's all relative. Without the huge revenue injections they would certainly have had lesser budgets but so too would the teams they were competing with. In any case, during their rise to the top tier, they have regularly outperformed clubs with bigger resources than they could call on. Let's remember that many clubs have made the same climb before the Premier League came into being, including teams with even fewer resources than those you mention.

Football was big before Roman arrived but it went massive after he arrived the TV deals got bigger every year apart from the last one. Your stating the obvious in a lot of your points about the cup final and Munich etc. Teams like Brighton were more or less fucked after the Goldstone Ground closed they would never have built a new ground if there wasn't loads of money in the Premiership. Smaller clubs have made it to the top but staying there is the main problem the top six will stay as it is indefinitely Everton and Leicester like this year will be next and the rest are frankly also rans who could be involved in a relegation battle every year.

54 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Football was big before Roman arrived but it went massive after he arrived the TV deals got bigger every year apart from the last one. Your stating the obvious in a lot of your points about the cup final and Munich etc. Teams like Brighton were more or less fucked after the Goldstone Ground closed they would never have built a new ground if there wasn't loads of money in the Premiership. Smaller clubs have made it to the top but staying there is the main problem the top six will stay as it is indefinitely Everton and Leicester like this year will be next and the rest are frankly also rans who could be involved in a relegation battle every year.

Hello Iggy,

You’re suggesting that, because of Roman, the Premier League is much richer than it would have been without him. As I said in my first reply, I think that if this is true at all it is true to a marginal extent only. The factors I mentioned, along with the growth of pay TV, played a much, much bigger role.

I see no evidence that Premier League revenues would be noticeably lower had Roman not bought Chelsea. Of course Chelsea might not be a power in the league if he hadn’t, but that’s a different conversation.

My point re Brighton is that they earned their place in the Premier League and since they didn’t benefit from a greater revenue boost to get them there than any other team did, they would have been just as likely to make it even if revenues were lower. In any case, as above, I don’t think the revenue would be significantly different if there had been no Roman.