Paul Pogba

Madmax

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he isnt available/too expensive, I wouldnt mind getting Matuidi/Vidal/Koke. While Pogba is good player, he isnt the only one.

This is true but none of those players you mentioned have WC potential,

-Matuidi is a better version of Ramires, he marginally improves us at best.

-Vidal is exceptional would certainly make us formidable but what's his price? does he want to leave? Its one thing to say we like that player quite another to even dream about someone we haven't even remotely been linked to.

-Koke would cost upwards of 50m if his buyout is met. I for one don't think he's nowhere near that fee.

-Vidal is exceptional would certainly make us formidable but what's his price? does he want to leave? Its one thing to say we like that player quite another to even dream about someone we haven't even remotely been linked to.

-Koke would cost upwards of 50m if his buyout is met. I for one don't think he's nowhere near that fee.

Pogba isn't worth anywhere near his reported fee either.

Given the market? I'm not so sure its too far off.

What is his rumoured fee anyways? And I hope you don't subscribe to that ridiculous rumour that Barca put in a bid for 80 and got turned down....

Market dictates value, there just aren't that many players who tick the boxes Pogba does.

If DiMaria(LOL) is 64m or whatever and Luke Shaw is 30m (potential but a LB) then what price do you put on Pogba? Who else out on the market is an alternative? and no Koke isn't a direct replacement, you would have to rethink how you'd like to set up with him.

It depends what you want. Its not always about player but also about manager and how the player fits him. Bayern was dominant with Mandzukic who was pivotal point of their attack despite he isnt typical world class striker. For next season or two, only advantage of having Pogba is that he is young and will play on top for several years, while Vidal, Matuidi will slowly decline in 2-3 years. But even then if Pogba truly develops into what people expect, I dont think we will be able to keep him to see the best of him here anyway.

While I get what you mean, having Matuidi/Vidal etc would improve us imediately. And atm Pogba is no better than any of the three I mentioned. Even more, those three would arguably perform better in key games than Pogba right now.

We bought Makelele and Ballack when they were in their 30s and it seemed they are pass their best, but it worked brilliantly for us.

While Pogba has youth and potential, Matuidi (or similar players) have experience, leadership, mentality and imediate impact, that could be even more beneficial for us. Not to mention, they wouldnt stall RLC potential either.

Pogba is amazing talent, but if you ask me, buying him wont bring us to another level next season or extend chances to win CL. The fruits of his ability would be seen in later years, but next season or two, Matuidi, Vidal or even Koke would be a better fit for us IMO.

I would rather spend bit more money on top right wing rather CM.

To sum it up you're getting a player similar to Yaya Toure(one of the most dominant/unplayable figures in the modern era) at the age of 22. The fact that you think Alcantara is even anywhere near as valuable let alone 100 times better leads me to believe you haven't quite worked out in your head why everyone is after Paul's signature.

1. I think that your problem is thinking Yaya Toure is that good. Again and again he proved his disadvantages against different elite CMs. yaya in City was always lazy, and never managed to be the dominant playmaker City needed against the top teams in europe. He was unplayable and dominant in the PL, but mainly in the final 3rd. Calling him "one of the most dominant figures in the modern era" is something only a huge PL fanboy would say imo. As a CM, I would rate him way below Alonso, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Pirlo, Modric, Iniesta and even Vidal is not below him imo. His contirbution is lacking against great midfields, and i think Pogba could follow the same path if he doesnt improve his overall game.

2. Pogba so far doesnt even do what Yaya did in his best. He cant be dominant during games, and it seems like he doesnt really know what to do in high profile games, how to be dominant. He doesent have a plan, there isnt enough things he can do constantly during the game.

3. Thiago is a few steps further imo, he can be the heart of a team right away. he works, he's brilliantly smart, he passes, he dribbles, for me its not even a contest, Thiago can contirbute a lot more to a top team and he's way more mature, especially in high profile matches. If you put Pogba in a team where he'll be The Star, like idk... Tottehham, and let him play against WBA and Newcastle, he'll look more impressive than Thiago, but if you put Thiago in Barcelona, Bayern or Real, Thigo would smoothly fit in and contirbute. Pogba is more like a soloist imo, and its not always works in the top teams.

It depends what you want. Its not always about player but also about manager and how the player fits him. Bayern was dominant with Mandzukic who was pivotal point of their attack despite he isnt typical world class striker. For next season or two, only advantage of having Pogba is that he is young and will play on top for several years, while Vidal, Matuidi will slowly decline in 2-3 years. But even then if Pogba truly develops into what people expect, I dont think we will be able to keep him to see the best of him here anyway.

While I get what you mean, having Matuidi/Vidal etc would improve us imediately. And atm Pogba is no better than any of the three I mentioned. Even more, those three would arguably perform better in key games than Pogba right now.

We bought Makelele and Ballack when they were in their 30s and it seemed they are pass their best, but it worked brilliantly for us.

While Pogba has youth and potential, Matuidi (or similar players) have experience, leadership, mentality and imediate impact, that could be even more beneficial for us. Not to mention, they wouldnt stall RLC potential either.

Pogba is amazing talent, but if you ask me, buying him wont bring us to another level next season or extend chances to win CL. The fruits of his ability would be seen in later years, but next season or two, Matuidi, Vidal or even Koke would be a better fit for us IMO.

I would rather spend bit more money on top right wing rather CM.

I don't see it like that at all...

You think Matuidi has more influence in big games than Pogba? based on what his play against Monaco? It definitely can't be his play in the Champions league where he was never really a standout and bang average. I mean the fact that these are his best years and he's just a cog should tell you what type of player he is. And while I agree that certain managers covet certain players more than others, its hard to think of one manager who wouldn't love to have Pogba because he has the ability to be one of the more complete midfielders in the world. I'm mystified at the fact you guys don't see this... We are having this discussion about a 22yr old CM who hasn't even scratched the surface of his ability and is already considered one of the best at what he does. You can debate it all you want but CM is a position where there aren't a lot of sensational options. If given the proper instruction, Pogba can be any type of mid you'd like him to be. To put it short, he is tailor made for Jose Mourinho and his highly adaptable systems.

Age is more of a factor now than in the past since FFP makes it extremely difficult to buy a player who you know will only give you one contract. Take Vidal for instance, he's 28 and on top of his game right now, what fee would Juve accept to move him on? 35-40m? What wages will he be on? 120-175k? An amortized contract for each year would be £17,100,000m each year of that contract with likely no desire for the club to want to renew a deal once he hits 30.(one year contracts from that point on) and his declining physical tools. I don't know about you but 17m a year for Vidal is Torres bad! Great player but just not what we can afford for a one contract player.

Pogba on the other hand can likely sign 2-3 contracts! so if we sign him at 65m and give him 175k his amortized fee would be an incredibly high 22m a season.... However in two years time we can look to re-sign him and that number is halved to 11m and then in another two years if he is still a world beater we can re-sign him again and that number is miniscule. We can also have the option of selling him at any point for a lump sum. FFP has made it next to impossible to sign players in their prime to ridiculous contracts and long term deals. Only a small handful of clubs are capable and that doesn't inlcude PSG or City or to be quite honest with you, Chelsea. It would just throw us out of line in terms of trying to comply.

Pogba is an incredible talent, one that every club in the world would love to get their hands on because he is supremely talented and if his trajectory continues to go upwards as sharply as it is now I don't know how you can say with any certainty that he won't help us in the champions league, like we're miles off the pace now. You give Jose a player like Pogba and let him mould him into that player for us.

Who are these RW that are available? Pedro? If I hear Reus(who plays on the left and is injury prone) I'm gonna flip out.

Whoever decides to buy him will be getting him for the long haul. That's what they'll be paying for.

The comparisions to Yaya is probably the most fitting.

Both have immense technical abilities combined with phsyical ones as well. In Yaya's prime, he wasn't a lazy bastard as he is now, but he wasn't really a hard working cm in the likes of vidal, bastian, etc. Pogba is still young and the games I've seen from him he isn't a lazy bastard......yet

One thing about Pogba is that his potential is immense as in the best player in the world potential. He's potential reminds me of adriano. Should of been the world's best striker, but we all know what happened to him...

That being said, Pogba is worth the gamble and price tag. Guys like him aren't made everyday.

I'm pretty sure I read you saying Thiago Alcantara is 100 times better than Pogba... When I read that I almost choked on my beer in laughter. You don't know what we're getting in Pogba, its goals, athleticism, Power, pace, technique... To sum it up you're getting a player similar to Yaya Toure(one of the most dominant/unplayable figures in the modern era) at the age of 22. The fact that you think Alcantara is even anywhere near as valuable let alone 100 times better leads me to believe you haven't quite worked out in your head why everyone is after Paul's signature.

And its funny too because a couple of weeks ago you weren't saying anything close to that. What's changed your mind? The game against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu in the semis of the Champions league in the second league against the defending champs??? When this is his 2nd game in three days after a lengthy period out injured??? Really???

You guys kill me with laughter, seriously I LOVE THIS BOARD!

Regards

Hi friend!

No, yesterday's game does not change anything because yesterday Pogba has played after an injury without competition rhythm (despite that he has not done a bad game taking into account his recent injury).

I repeat again, Pogba is a spectacular player, the perfect prototype of a box to box, but for me he is not a creative player like Fabregas, Xavi Hernandez or Koke, which is just what we need, someone who can organize the pace of our game.

In fact Pogba can not play as a midfielder with a single companion because he needs two companions as Vidal and Pirlo to play comfortable. Fabregas can play in central midfield with Matic without needing anyone else.

Instead, Thiago Alcantara can have that role without problems. But he also has some problems like not having played 100 first division matches, injuries, certain anarchic aspects ....

Maybe say "a hundred times better than" was an exaggeration / mistake on my part, I admit, but personally I prefer Thiago Alcantara than Pogba. And I think the amounts of money being handled about Pogba's crazy, it seems that we are talking about Messi or Ronaldo. He is a global star with no doubt, but we can not mortgage our future by a single player.

Yaya Toure respect I can only say one thing. He had to leave Barcelona because they preferred to players like Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta than him. That does not mean that Yaya Toure was a bad player. It just means that Barcelona would prefer more creative players than perfect box to box. They are just different points of view.

Regards.

Whoever decides to buy him will be getting him for the long haul. That's what they'll be paying for.

That obviously goes without saying. Still not worth it at all. Pogba is a talent but I wouldn't like it if we spent anywhere the 70-80m fees being banded about.

My point basically was that you can't really go about screaming how Koke isn't worth his buyout clause (50m or whatever it is) but then turn a blind eye for the overvaluation Pogba has been getting.

Pogba is good player but he's not world class at all. I know he has lot of potential to be a world beater and has good physicality.. but seriously he's not worth 100m Euros...

I think we should give chance to Ruben Loftus Cheek who is also in similar mould to Pogba physicality wise and has good technique... I'm really looking forward to him next season. He could very well be our own Pogba.

Also... Different players but Thiago is definitely better than Pogba atm, not even questionable IMO.

In terms of creativity and impact on the game, pogba is nowhere near thiago.

Pogba has the advantage physically and skills, and long shots that's it. Passing, vision, creativity, dribbling, mobility, control of games, thiago floors pogba in all these aspects of the midfield.

Thiago would be among the top 5 best players of his current generation (22-26years) if he wasn't getting injured every damn time. There was a poster here before called NIKE who was a dick but if there's one thing I supported him on, it was the level of talent thiago has. I think he's better than any (22-26years) young midfielder in talent and on the same level of talent as Hazard and Neymar imo.

Also... Different players but Thiago is definitely better than Pogba atm, not even questionable IMO.

Lol. You guys are crazy. If you think Thiago is better than pogba. Entitled to your opinion but I really think you're wrong.

And I love how you say it with such assertion too.. "they're different players but he's definitely better" that make no sense btw.

When Thiago is fully fit he can boss midfield. Some of his 13/14 season games were amazing, literally Xavi mark on the midfield but with drive and tricks as well.

Talent wise Thiago is better than Pogba for me.

But it's irrevelant when he is so much injury prone. But I hope he leaves his injuries behind him, because he can be joy to watch.

Pogba has so much to learn yet. SO MUCH. He is not Mona Lisa of football now. If we go for buying potential world-beaters then go for Fekir. Why not anyone is suggesting in bidding 100m€ for him ?? This hype on Pogba is sick. One of WAGNH authors said that he would exchange Hazard for Pogba.

Would like Pogba though. But I hope this talk comes back to Earth where little over year ago Juventus demanded 40m€ for him.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You