Stamford Bridge Thread

7 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I have not seen any solid links aside from The Mail and Mirror saying that the new stadium might be at Earl's Court. How would game attending fans feel about a large stadium at Earl's Court or a small to medium stadium at Stamford Bridge?

I don't get down to watch Chelsea often, but for me personally it wouldn't make any difference. I get the bus to Earl's Court and walk to the Bridge from there. Earl's Court is about 10-15 minute walk away from Stamford Bridge so it's hardly a move that would put people out. If moving was the only option available, I think most people would pick that as the ideal place to move purely from the proximity to where the Bridge is.

I think it would actually be the more logical option to trying to renovate Stamford Bridge which is fraught with problems to redevelop. The issues involved I think would end up resulting in a redevelopment costing nearly as much as a brand new stadium anyway. Certainly from the owners perspective, I could see a new stadium that can be built from the ground up to be far more attractive and that option would also allow us to build a stadium whilst continuing to play at Stamford Bridge until it's ready.

I think the biggest issue is for the CPO it goes beyond Stamford Bridge, it's having an element of control on the club as a whole to ensure there's no threat to what we see the club to be. Giving that up I'm not sure would be on the table. The only way this would have legs is if Clearlake/Boehly can placate by offering some form of binding assurances at their end with regards to the club.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11550913/Chelsea-make-offer-acquire-crucial-50m-site-Stamford-Bridge.html

Chelsea make an offer to acquire a £50m plot of land next to Stamford Bridge as owner Todd Boehly steps up his £1bn effort to revamp their stadium

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11550913/Chelsea-make-offer-acquire-crucial-50m-site-Stamford-Bridge.html

Chelsea make an offer to acquire a £50m plot of land next to Stamford Bridge as owner Todd Boehly steps up his £1bn effort to revamp their stadium

I want to see pics of what they are planning on doing.

This one at a time, stand-by-stand approach will take forever and it also may end up looking like shit if not done the right way.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Chelsea-stamford-bridge-redevelopment-wembley-28940841

EXCLUSIVE: 

Chelsea could face FIVE years at Wembley during huge redevelopment of Stamford Bridge

Edited by NikkiCFC

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Chelsea-stamford-bridge-redevelopment-wembley-28940841

EXCLUSIVE: 

Chelsea could face FIVE years at Wembley during huge redevelopment of Stamford Bridge

It could take the club up to ten years if they rebuilt the stadium “stand by stand” while supporters have been warned that it could take as much as 18 months to clear up the demolition site.

Chelsea could yet find an alternative site but none of the proposals put forward during the Roman Abramovich era are still on the table and the new owners are starting afresh.

No decision can be made without the permission of the Chelsea Pitch Owners who are effectively freeholders of the current Stamford Bridge site.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

What is pitch owners stand about new stadium? Are they holding us back? Can Boehly potentially build a new stadium on other place and let them do whatever they want with SB? 

The club is contractually bound to continue using SB as home ground

34 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

So they are holding us back. 

Not necessarily, plans can go to the CPO for members to vote on. If the location wasn't far from SB and still in West London, it'd likely get approved. 

Theoretically, Boehly could just move the stadium without consent from the CPO, but he'd also have to rename the club as the CPO own the name Chelsea FC. 

I think it's important to remember the history and reasoning behind the CPO before we start slinging mud at them. 

On 14/11/2022 at 16:16, Superblue said:

I don't get down to watch Chelsea often, but for me personally it wouldn't make any difference. I get the bus to Earl's Court and walk to the Bridge from there. Earl's Court is about 10-15 minute walk away from Stamford Bridge so it's hardly a move that would put people out. If moving was the only option available, I think most people would pick that as the ideal place to move purely from the proximity to where the Bridge is.

I think it would actually be the more logical option to trying to renovate Stamford Bridge which is fraught with problems to redevelop. The issues involved I think would end up resulting in a redevelopment costing nearly as much as a brand new stadium anyway. Certainly from the owners perspective, I could see a new stadium that can be built from the ground up to be far more attractive and that option would also allow us to build a stadium whilst continuing to play at Stamford Bridge until it's ready.

I think the biggest issue is for the CPO it goes beyond Stamford Bridge, it's having an element of control on the club as a whole to ensure there's no threat to what we see the club to be. Giving that up I'm not sure would be on the table. The only way this would have legs is if Clearlake/Boehly can placate by offering some form of binding assurances at their end with regards to the club.

There is at least one person among forum regulars who actively prefers to see a new stadium away from Stamford Bridge. Me.

You have listed most of the reasons I would give so I would add just one point; renovating Stamford Bridge would cost more than building a new stadium. In part this is because of the challenges of the SB site you've referred to, in part the costs related to the disruptions of playing and locating company offices elsewhere, and most of all because the costs of building elsewhere would be offset, if not outright covered, by the eventual sale or redevelopment of the Stamford Bridge site. (I expect Clearlake would want to develop the site themselves.)

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

34 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

There is at least one person among forum regulars who actively prefers to see a new stadium away from Stamford Bridge. Me.

You have listed most of the reasons I would give so I would add just one point; renovating Stamford Bridge would cost more than building a new stadium. In part this is because of the challenges of the SB site you've listed, in part the costs related to the disruptions of playing and locating company offices elsewhere, and most of all because the costs of building elsewhere would be offset, if not outright covered, by the eventual sale or redevelopment of the Stamford Bridge site. (I expect Clearlake would want to develop the site themselves.)

Completely agree. When the talk of renovating an existing stadium is somewhere around the billion pound mark, it's just not economically feasible. As you've pointed out, other teams have helped offset a chunk of the costs of a new stadium with some form of redevelopment or sale of the old site. In our situation, this is even more significant given where Stamford Bridge sits.

The issue simply is in what situation will the CPO agree to this? I completely understand the reluctance in what is quite a delicate situation, and with what the club had to go through in recent months will have only strengthened that resolve that the hold over the Bridge is justified to retain some power within the club.

I'm not sure legally the positioning, but could there be a situation where the new ownership could agree to switch the CPO leasehold over to a new site, to allow the move? That might potentially help, but in all honesty I think there's too many people who's minds are made up that they don't want to move from the Bridge.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

PR distraction from on field crisis ? oooh look over there !!

I could use a distraction. It is amazing in the worst way how weak our attack is with the quality of players on the field. I think gameday is becoming an anxiety ridden dose of depression every week. 

34 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I could use a distraction. It is amazing in the worst way how weak our attack is with the quality of players on the field. I think gameday is becoming an anxiety ridden dose of depression every week. 

Feel your pain, but we will turn the corner For me it's becoming less interesting - but thinking that this pool of players could produce sublime football with leaders on the pitch and the right coach