BlueLion.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne-Bridge.jpg

Building Bridges

18th Apr 2011, In Articles, by Alex Hinsley

I haven't a clue why, but the fiasco surrounding John Terry and Wayne Bridge has ironically done little more than tarnish the image of the latter – despite him doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Forgive me for reigniting a bonfire that had been reduced to mere embers, but with Bridge more than likely to start on Saturday for West Ham at Stamford Bridge, it is almost guaranteed that the ex-Chelsea man will receive a mixed reception.

In the wake of the media shitstorm that surrounded the Hammers full-back after an alleged affair between Terry and the mother of Bridge's children, our Captain Fantastic was stripped of the captaincy (with England's World Cup hopes inadvertently killed in the same moment) and Bridge retired from the international scene.

The subsequent battle between Terry and Bridge in Manchester City's stunning 4-2 win at the Bridge last term began with the Handshake That Wasn't and City's first win away at Chelsea since God knows when, with Carlo Ancelotti's side's title chances taking a massive hit. Quite strikingly, however, Bridge was booed. May I ask – what for?

More than twelve months on and Bridge is a forgotten man at Eastlands – he has since been shipped out to West Ham to rejoin former Chelsea team-mates Carlton Cole and Scott Parker, as well as ex-Blues manager Avram Grant. Exchanging European contention for a relegation scrap is not an ideal swap in anyone's book, but it has at least seen Bridgey return to the consistent form he displayed on a regular basis throughout his Stamford Bridge career.

Always reliable, Bridge was a man who even captained the Blues on three occasions and his consistent displays endeared him to Chelsea supporters. He was consistent in the early stages of his West Ham career – consistently woeful and looking like a man who had barely kicked a ball for months – but over the last eight weeks or so he has become a defensive stalwart as well as an attacking outlet for Grant's strugglers, and is now a much-appreciated man at Upton Park.

And so he should be.

Let us not forget, that besides all of the 'Team Terry and Team Bridge' bullshit spawned by the pathetic excuse at journalism that some people call The Sun's sports section (I, on the other hand, consider the whole publication a waste of ink and paper), Bridge is a cult hero at Stamford Bridge. Songs of that goal at Highbury are still sung by our away following and a man who played 173 times for the club can surely only be remembered fondly?

Effort and commitment is the name of the game when it comes to assessing Wayne Bridge. I vividly recall the moment Chelsea fans wrote the young man's Blues career off as soon as we signed Ashley Cole. I remember it with such clarity because I was one such critic. However, a stunning show of form throughout 2006/07 saw the left-back role rotated between England's two best full-backs, but through the fact Bridgey started both the Carling and FA Cup finals, it is pretty clear his stock was high with Jose Mourinho as well as the Blues faithful.

A consummate professional, some people may remember Bridge playing as a striker in a 1-1 draw with Wycombe Wanderers in the Carling Cup semi final. He scored a superb goal that evening as well, and got knocked out cold for his troubles. It was a moment which underlined his weight in gold – though his Chelsea career had never really seen him secure a regular place.

A run of games throughout his début season saw him net three goals – yes, that one included – and that run continued into the Mourinho era and was only ended by an utterly horrendous challenge by Alan Shearer in an FA Cup fifth round tie. The signing of Asier del Horno the following summer, and then Cole's transfer from Arsenal the season after that meant his place was never set in concrete from that point onwards.

But did Bridge ever complain? Not once. Take note, William Gallas. Such professionalism and loyalty is something that must be in the water at Cobham. You see exactly the same sort of attitude in Paulo Ferreira, and in the now-departed Juliano Belletti as well. Maybe its a full-back thing?

Bridge may never have been appreciated in the same way as the other members of Chelsea's deteriorating English contingent, but he should still receive a generous round of applause on Saturday as if the Handshake That Wasn't fiasco had never happened.

The fact his name is met by a mixture of cheers and jeers confuses me. What exactly did Wayne do wrong? His reaction was neither undignified nor over-the-top. I don't think I'd want to talk to my supposed 'best friend' after such accusations, and unlike that despicable wankstain Craig Bellamy, Bridge kept his opinions to himself at full-time. As I said earlier – the ultimate professional.

Legend is a much overused word these days and even so it would be perhaps a little extreme to offer Bridgey such an exalted title. Nevertheless, for a man who has played almost 40 times for his country and made nearly 400 career club appearances, a bit of appreciation for Bridge wouldn't go amiss. Bridge spent the best part of six seasons with Chelsea and won all there is to be won in English football with the club. Surely that deserves a polite round of applause and at worst the odd ironic boo for wearing such a disgusting shirt?

Man City game last season was ridiculous, I was embarrassed to be in the company of those morons.

Our fans weren't any better.

Hope I don't see more insults thrown at Wayne Bridge again.. Follow follow follow, there were only 2minutes to go..

LDN, you've just consigned him to another goalless game :lol:

In all honesty I don't care whether he scores or not, because we'll see the real Torres next term. This is his 'bedding in' period and after a full pre-season we'll start to see him slowly-but-surely come into his own.

I will upload it for you as soon as i get home from the game!

Thanks mate :) I really hate missing our matches. I think I've missed 1 only this season, against Newcastle in the Carling Cup blue%20scalf.gif

Send me a private message with a link, I'm scared I'll be able to see the result if I search the forum B)