Paulo Ferreira - what a servant

Milan

Paulo Ferreira remains optimistic that he can finish his playing career at Chelsea despite not being a regular in the team.

The former Portugal international joined the Blues from Porto in 2004 and is approaching 200 appearances for the Premier League champions.

However, he has been in and out of Carlo Ancelotti's side this season and has not featured since the FA Cup exit at the hands of Everton last month.

He has a further two years remaining on his contract and the 32-year-old has no plans to play for another club.

Ferreira said: "I have been seven years here at Chelsea and it is the club where I have spent most time.

"My family are happy here, so let's see if I can finish playing here as well."

When he eventually does retire, Ferreira plans to establish an academy in Estoril in his native Portugal.

"I have in my mind to open an academy back home in my village," he said.

"I want to be involved in helping kids play football and to teach them what I have learned."

skysports.com

What a brilliant servant he is, such a professional attitude. You simply cannot hate him or something like that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah just read this , Paulo has been great he never complains does his bit when needed and was a integral part to our back to back championship success, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the back room staff in the future , but obviously he has his own plans with his academy.

One of the true processionals at our club who rarely gets the praise he deserves.

Yeah just read this , Paulo has been great he never complains does his bit when needed and was a integral part to our back to back championship success, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the back room staff in the future , but obviously he has his own plans with his academy.

One of the true processionals at our club who rarely gets the praise he deserves.

He already is! Translating for David Luiz :D

Legend, no doubt about that.

Thats what I like about Paulo. He never gets a game a lot, yet he never complains and he does his bit. He's not as good as he used to be (no disrespect) and I think he knows that, unlike Scholes and Giggs. Yet, as you say, what a legend!

No disrespect but he was never one of the best fullbacks imo BUT his commitment and loyalty more than makes up for that ten times over.

Saying that as a 3rd choice RB is there many better?

Football isn't life or death for him. It's Clear he's a genuinely good human being too.

Yes I agree he is committed and seems a decent bloke. However are we all missing the fact here he that he is apparently on £60k a week and is the worst player in our squad??. Of course he wants to see out his contract on that as he will only get about £10k max with a move. He also said he has plans after football, so is obvioulsly saving up for that...

Paulo is just an all-round good guy. I remember him staying for two hours after a game to sign autographs outside Stamford Bridge in 2008. Absolutely wonderful to see, he posed for photographs too, which was nice of him. He comes across as being very thankful for his gift, but at the same time I think he approaches the game in a realistic sort of way, which isn't life or death, as TX rightly points out. He was at one point one of Europe's best right backs, and I do think if he was any other Premier League team, he would probably be first choice. He is reliable and never complains about life. Great attitude, great man, great player.

Legend.

He's too young to be talking about retirement. As much as I'd love to see him here for the next 4-5 years he should be playing football. I'd love to see him join our coaching staff in a few years but I guess that goes for most CFC players.

He was fantastic in his first two seasons at the club. He became more of a squad player after that but his effort and commitment is incredible. We can all agree he is one of the good guys.

I do think he might be off sooner rather than later. We can only have a certain amount of foreign players in the squad and Ferreira is fast becoming surplus to requirements.

Great man. I have always liked Ferreira for his personality and behaviour. His loyalty to the club has made me like him even more.

He's not a great footballer, but he's not crap either. He's won 3 League titles in his English footballing career, something that Steven Gerrard never will. :)