Wayne Rooney

J.F.

Essien was poor at his distribution but his presence would of been better than someone like Yossi/Marin IMO.

Alright sending out Lukaku on loan for development but not when you start a season with just two forwards and trying to challenge of every front, that was crazy.

This is another point that I was going to expand upon later, but we got very lucky this season in a game of chicken. We had to give players like Lukaku, De Bruyne and Chalobah experience because we hadn't done a good enough job developing players in the past so we did it all in one go (25 players out on loan this season?).

I don't think anyone will ever admit it at the club, but I think this season was a write-off from the start. Call it transition if you want but they stuck with Robbie when they knew they wanted Pep in the summer, and they cut costs EVERYWHERE. Essien's loan, Meireles sale, the lack of investment in January....so long as we got top four then that was enough.

Fortunately it paid off but it was a dangerous game to play and now we're in a very strong position going into next season.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another point that I was going to expand upon later, but we got very lucky this season in a game of chicken. We had to give players like Lukaku, De Bruyne and Chalobah experience because we hadn't done a good enough job developing players in the past so we did it all in one go (25 players out on loan this season?).

I don't think anyone will ever admit it at the club, but I think this season was a write-off from the start. Call it transition if you want but they stuck with Robbie when they knew they wanted Pep in the summer, and they cut costs EVERYWHERE. Essien's loan, Meireles sale, the lack of investment in January....so long as we got top four then that was enough.

Fortunately it paid off but it was a dangerous game to play and now we're in a very strong position going into next season.

Agreed, we got some what lucky and looks as thought we have crossed the line. But if, if Jose comes in we need to address some very weak areas in this team and squad. The right signings are needed 100% and the right sales are also needed.

The foundations of getting fourth are now solidly laid, get Jose, get the right signings and BOOM we will be good to go.

I think they're very similar players who can do very similar things in our team. I actually think Lukaku might have a bit more versatility but broadly speaking they're big guys who like to play on the last man but also use their strength to bring other players into the game.

Benteke is someone who can bully defenders and can be unplayable on his day, Lukaku's hold up play is still very raw when he gets the ball with his back to goal he likes to lay if off as soon as he can so he spin and run in behind, Benteke is much more of a presence up front, when he gets the ball he can hold it up very comfortably and is much better at linking play, Lukaku to me will never be 'Drogba like', i like how Lukaku plays though because he has power and pace and is difficult to stop when he gets going but Benteke for me has so much more potential than any other player to be the next Drogba.

I see them as different types of players both are still developing though and me personally i would love to have both in our squad!

Benteke is someone who can bully defenders and can be unplayable on his day, Lukaku's hold up play is still very raw when he gets the ball with his back to goal he likes to lay if off as soon as he can so he spin and run in behind, Benteke is much more of a presence up front, hwen he gets the ball he can hold it up very comfortably and is much better at linking play, Lukaku to me will never be 'Drogba like', i like how Lukaku plays though because he has power and pace and is difficult to stop when he gets going but Benteke for me has so much more potential than any other player to be the next Drogba.

I see them as different types of players both are still developing though and me personally i would love to have both in our squad!

Fair enough...you can never have too many Belgians. :D

Ultimately what made Drogba Drogba was his will to win - that's what a lot of people see in Rooney. Big-game players who get goals in CL Finals and the last minute of derbies. If either Lukaku or Benteke has that then they're set (I actually love Lukaku's dedication to being a footballer - Drogbaesque).

Agreed, we got some what lucky and looks as thought we have crossed the line. But if, if Jose comes in we need to address some very weak areas in this team and squad. The right signings are needed 100% and the right sales are also needed.

The foundations of getting fourth are now solidly laid, get Jose, get the right signings and BOOM we will be good to go.

In a rough season, we've unearthed real gems like Hazard, Azpi (getting a full-back who can stick around for a few years is always a good sign) and even Luiz whilst Mata and Rami have stepped up. Next season is the most open league for years and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of bookies made us favourites if we get Jose.

On another point, I think I've thought of a post that could turn every single member on here against me....it involves which number shirt Rooney would get if we did sign him. :Goober::Goober:

On another point, I think I've thought of a post that could turn every single member on here against me....it involves which number shirt Rooney would get if we did sign him.

Please not No#25! :cry:

Please not No#25! :cry:

No. I actually think No.25 would be more acceptable than him getting....No.8 :o:o

But this is getting way, way, way ahead of ourselves. The good thing is that I think the market for Rooney might be quite small, especially if he wants to keep his family in this country and he wants to be around players like Cole and Terry.

He can have 9...

More chance of going to the moon than getting 10.

He is still favourite to go somewhere else according to the bookies... Bayern Munich atm. We are around 3/1.

It does seem as though Lewandowski and Rooney are destined for either Bayern or us....although United could scupper either one of those deals.

9 is possible....15 maybe? Drog's old number about to be vacated by Malouda.

(I actually love Lukaku's dedication to being a footballer - Drogbaesque).

I agree! I think he gets that from his dad, and that is the main reason why he will be a huge success at Chelsea.

In terms of Rooney's will to win though i just haven't seen that from him much at all this season it makes me wonder if he still has it in him.

I understand he is not having his best moments at United but for people to say he has lost it IMO is crazy. He still has a few years left in him. He has not been prolific as other seasons but last season got over 30 club goals. Still a quality player. RVP went through 10 games where he was not performing. Does that mean he lost it? No, because I can guarantee Rooney will be back with goals galore wherever he is next season.

He is not just a goalscorer but he creates brilliantly as well. But because of a few rifts and games where he has looked off colour people are saying he is past it? I don't understand. I am sure he will prove people wrong next season. He has had his injuries and problems this season but I generally feel Rooney would be a top acquisition here. If he wants a move here and is unsettled at United, great, we should welcome a striker of his caliber here. His goalscoring record against us is tremendous as well. IMO he is one striker who is able to pass, score and play well in other positions. Top player.

The question is has he proved himself in the PL? Yes? Is he better than what we have right now? I would definitely say yes.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You