Blackpool 1-3 Chelsea

James

untitled2-140-x-140.jpg

High as a Kuyt

6th Mar 2011, In Articles, by Alex Hinsley

It's been a superb weekend for Chelsea supporters - and not even a single ball has been kicked by the Premier League champions, who visit Bloomfield Road on Monday evening.

A draw for Arsenal and a 3-1 loss for Manchester United means that the champions can close the gap on their title rivals with victory over Blackpool tomorrow - and coupled with the fact that Tottenham could only draw with Wolves, and things look rather rosy from a blue complexion.

Dirk Kuyt netted a hat-trick as Liverpool beat Manchester United 3-1 at Anfield - effectively opening the title door to Carlo Ancelotti's charges, who can close the gap to a mere six points between themselves and first place should they win their games in hand. First up is Blackpool at Bloomfield Road, before a home game against Birmingham.

A combination of magnificent goalkeeping and some admittedly woeful refereeing saw Arsenal held at the Emirates by Sunderland; a result which further sweetens the weekend's footballing action - Chelsea will now be further buoyed by the fact only Manchester City won out of their potential title rivals and fellow Champions League contenders.

And that win for City came only as a result of poor goalkeeping by the usually-reliable Ali al-Habsi as he allowed David Silva's shot to squirm into the net.

This weekend was full of positives for Chelsea supporters.

United's frailties - again exposed by a dogged Liverpool performance that was amongst the best team displays seen at Anfield in some time - indicates their route to a 19th first division title will not be as easy as many anticipated, and three defeats out of four on the road highlight the fact Sir Alex's unit are currently paling in comparison to the unbeaten world-beaters we were acquainted with a little over a month ago.

Meanwhile, draws for the North London giants - Arsenal and Spurs - could not come at a better time for Carlo Ancelotti's side. Whilst Arsenal were denied blatant penalty calls and had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out for offside, Spurs conceded an 87th-minute equaliser in an enthralling game at Molineux which ended 3-3. As a die-hard Blues fan, that could make three points tomorrow all the more sweeter.

And with City struggling to beat Wigan at the City of Manchester Stadium, a Chelsea side that has recorded impressive wins over FC Copenhagen and United over the course of the last two weeks represents the only semblance of form and momentum that can be boasted by any of the title contenders.

The Premier League trophy may be just out of reach of John Terry and company. I maintain the title was realistically lost in December, though Liverpool can claim the triumph of hammering home the final nail in early February - but the fact of the matter is that premature talk of finishing outside the top four should be abandoned immediately.

That talk - largely emerging around the middle of our worst run of form for some 16 years - can largely be attributed to Chelsea fans believing that feeling sorry for themselves suddenly counts as pragmatic thinking.

Instead, such is the fickleness of the football fan, that only the most pessimistic of Chelsea supporters would doubt their side's chances of finishing in the top four - and with Spurs demonstrating such enigmatic form and Arsenal continuing to make us laugh, who would bet against us at least securing third place with a degree of comfort and a handful of points to spare as well?

Second place is a realistic target for this side - who, let us not forget, already can start planning for the UEFA Champions' League quarter finals - meaning that those people dismissing this season as a failure can quite easily be identified as spoilt glory-hunters.

And mathematically speaking, nothing is to say we can't win the title. Go to Old Trafford in May and win in a potential title decider, and then hope and pray that both Arsenal and United continue to demonstrate the nerves that usually come in to play as the contenders reach the home straight, then imagine Tottenham beat Arsenal at White Hart Lane and West Ham away once again is a bogey fixture for United...

...then try and tell me we're out of it.

Okay, perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

At the end of the day (which, according to most footballers, is when everything in the sport seems to happen...), this season is certainly shaping up to be a lot better than most people expected.

So when you've finished healing the bruised egos and licking the wounds inflicted by home defeats at the hands of Sunderland and Liverpool, perhaps you might join the band of carefree Chelsea supporters that still have faith in this team.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for a win with a good/great performance tomorrow but I'll take any kind of win now.

:cfc:

Same here.

Actually I'll be livid if we get anything less than 3 points. We've developed a habit of throwing away games after great results but we cannot afford it now.

If we fuck this up Ashley should start shooting everyone.

Thanks for nothing Sky Sports for moving this game!

Anyways,this is our chance to close the gap after Man U and the Goons slipping up at the weekend and a chance to breathe down Citeh's necks ahead of our meet on the 20th.

I fancy a 3-0 Chelsea win and Torres finally breaking his duck for the Blues!.

According to the Daily Mail, out team will be :

Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Essien - Lampard

Kalou ---------------- Malouda

Torres - Drogba

According to the Guardian :

Cech

Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Terry - Cole

Essien - Lampard

Ramires ----------------- Zhirkov

Torres - Drogba

Accordind to Skysports :

Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Essien - Lampard

Ramires ------------- Malouda

Torres - Drogba

So, once again, no turn over. And I really hope that our lineup will be the one given by the Guardian... I would be pissed off if Malouda features on the starting XI...

[quote name='killamanjaro' timestamp='1299497959' post='188158'

According to the Guardian :

Cech

Bosingwa - Ivanovic - Terry - Cole

Essien - Lampard

Ramires ----------------- Zhirkov

Torres - Drogba

This one is the best imo.

I am for the line-up predicted by Skysports, my only change would be Zhirkov in place of Malouda. I think Malouda's been given a solid run and number of games and it is time to give the amount to Yuri as well. I am sure he will be hungry and poised to perform himself. Which is exactly what we could profit from.

Can't wait for the kick-off. An early goal and we should be fine.