The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

you make these sweeping statements ...then when challenged say this isnt the place to discuss them ,,,,that is PRICELESS

I'd love to discuss it here, but I'm not going to derail the Lukaku thread for it. Go ahead...

@DDA,

I'd love to discuss it here. Go ahead...

your main mistake ,,, to suggest someone doesnt know much about a sport because of their nationality IS NOT RACIST ///

I would suggest you know very little about Cricket ,,Rugby or Curling ...when I say that I am not being racist I am making what I think is a reasonable premise based on where you live and your nationality

Well insulting someone because of their nationality is kind of the definition of racism.

Anyway, this not the place for this discussion.

I just asked him to not make posts like that.

I for one can't be bothered with that discussion but I will say that the word 'racist' is over used and wrongly directed in a society that treds on egg shells because of the idiots who enforce the politically correct moral high ground!

your main mistake ,,, to suggest someone doesnt know much about a sport because of their nationality IS NOT RACIST ///

I would suggest you know very little about Cricket ,,Rugby or Curling ...when I say that I am not being racist I am making what I think is a reasonable premise based on where you live and your nationality

Suggesting it while we're having this discussion is not racist (a bit of a stereotype, but not racist) because I've never said I know and don't know about cricket. But disrespecting someone's footballing opinion that is being expressed on a football forum through clear footballing knowledge just because of their nationality is racist. It's not as bad as insulting someone personally for his skin color, but it is a form of racism.

NO you didnt you gave him a verbal warning

I didn't give him an official warning, I just gave a warning through that post as in the next time he does it he'll get an actual warning.

I for one can't be bothered with that discussion but I will say that the word 'racist' is over used and wrongly directed in a society that treds on egg shells because of the idiots who enforce the politically correct moral high ground!

I cannot relate to your political issues in England and in any case they don't apply here. There are different forms of racism. This isn't the same as insulting someone because of their religion or skin color but it is a form of racism because there is no other word for it. In Arabic we have a different word, but in English, if there is one, I'm unaware of it. Call it whatever you want, it was discrimination and insulting someone's opinion just because of their nationality and it is not welcomed on a multicultural community like TC.

I didn't give him an official warning, I just gave a warning through that post as in the next time he does it he'll get an actual warning.

I cannot relate to your political issues in England and in any case they don't apply here. There are different forms of racism. This isn't the same as insulting someone because of their religion or skin color but it is a form of racism because there is no other word for it. In Arabic we have a different word, but in English, if there is one, I'm unaware of it. Call it whatever you want, it was discrimination and insulting someone's opinion just because of their nationality and it is not welcomed on a multicultural community like TC.

so is a verbal warning a warning or not a warning ,,or am I acting with cuntishness again ???

so is a verbal warning a warning or not a warning ,,or am I acting with cuntishness again ???

I did not give him an official warning because we very rarely give one out on the first offence unless it is something big. If I did, you'd be able to see that he has warning points and a post would be automatically made in the Announcement section.

I have no idea why you care so much, though.

NO you didnt you gave him a verbal warning

Exactly. Many think of racism in the 'narrower than Nazi' sense, being the pure biological racism. As. I stated before in an another thread there is a stipulation in the Convention of the United Nations that racism is ANY stereotyping based on race, color, decent, nationality or ethnicity. Also UK law defines it the same way: there is no distinction made between nationality and/or race (whatever that biological meaningless word means).

So yes, stereotyping a national or ethnic group (eg all Italians are x, Belgians are all x, French know nothing about x, the English are all x) is de facto racism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly. Many think of racism in the 'narrower than Nazi' sense, being the pure biological racism. As. I stated before in an another thread there is a stipulation in the Convention of the United Nations that racism is ANY stereotyping based on race, color, decent, nationality or ethnicity. Also UK law defines it the same way: there is no distinction made between nationality and/or race (whatever that biological meaningless word means).

So yes, stereotyping a national or ethnic group (eg all Italians are x, Belgians are all x, French know nothing about x, the English are all x) is de facto racism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Honestly I think that's a bit off when you look at what was said.

It's a very English thing to mock people's nationalities. We call the Welsh sheep-shaggers and it's nothing but banter. Again, this particular mod has a blind spot for blokes just having a bit of banter - he can't take it, he can't judge it and that's not necessarily his fault but on a forum about an English club I think you have to allow for a bit of leeway with cultural differences.