The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Exactly. Many think of racism in the 'narrower than Nazi' sense, being the pure biological racism. As. I stated before in an another thread there is a stipulation in the Convention of the United Nations that racism is ANY stereotyping based on race, color, decent, nationality or ethnicity. Also UK law defines it the same way: there is no distinction made between nationality and/or race (whatever that biological meaningless word means).

So yes, stereotyping a national or ethnic group (eg all Italians are x, Belgians are all x, French know nothing about x, the English are all x) is de facto racism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Honestly I think that's a bit off when you look at what was said.

It's a very English thing to mock people's nationalities. We call the Welsh sheep-shaggers and it's nothing but banter. Again, this particular mod has a blind spot for blokes just having a bit of banter - he can't take it, he can't judge it and that's not necessarily his fault but on a forum about an English club I think you have to allow for a bit of leeway with cultural differences.

A bit of leeway only goes so far. Me, I have abso-fucking-lutely had it with the fact that I have a 90% chance of being called a belgian biased fanboy from some ignorant asshole on here whenever I say something about a belgian player. It even goes so far I regularly refrain from posting on this forum in the players threads. I do NOT see people do this with the brazilians, nor with the english defending, say, Cahill.

I was referring to the belgian situation on here, which goes beyond banter and is intended to derogate the opinions of posters more than mere mocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Honestly I think that's a bit off when you look at what was said.

It's a very English thing to mock people's nationalities. We call the Welsh sheep-shaggers and it's nothing but banter. Again, this particular mod has a blind spot for blokes just having a bit of banter - he can't take it, he can't judge it and that's not necessarily his fault but on a forum about an English club I think you have to allow for a bit of leeway with cultural differences.

Well said! When all is said done this is an English club situated in England and I feel people should accept that piss taking is part of the English humour. As long as it isn't over the top I can't see why a bit of banter should be deemed unacceptable. People are just too sensitive it seems. Wether these people like it or not , football has and will always have insulting and piss taking banter involved. It's all part and parcel of the rivalry and it's competitive nature. That's not to say direct racist or personal abuse should be accepted on this forum or in general everyday life but calling someone a sheep shagger because they are Welsh or an Scottsman a jock wanker then that really is harmless in my opinion. Actually now I'm talking and thinking about it, it's a pretty thin line drawn to deem what is and what isn't acceptable. Fuck it forget what I said, no form of piss taking shoukd be acceptabele..haha! Err uh!

Well said! When all is said done this is an English club situated in England and I feel people should accept that piss taking is part of the English humour. As long as it isn't over the top I can't see why a bit of banter should be deemed unacceptable. People are just too sensitive it seems. Wether these people like it or not , football has and will always have insulting and piss taking banter involved. It's all part and parcel of the rivalry and it's competitive nature. That's not to say direct racist or personal abuse should be accepted on this forum or in general everyday life but calling someone a sheep shagger because they are Welsh or an Scottsman a jock wanker then that really is harmless in my opinion. Actually now I'm talking and thinking about it, it's a pretty thin line drawn to deem what is and what isn't acceptable. Fuck it forget what I said, no form of piss taking shoukd be acceptabele..haha! Err uh!

I think it's all about context. If you're sharing a laugh with a friend, or even a total stranger and he shares your sense of humor then it's all good and dandy. After all, this place is about having some fun. But if the receiver of this banter is genuinely offended, then'st it's not a joke anymore it's an insult. Fine margins, like you said.

Fuck, I'm drunk. Of course that's not news to you as I'm always drunk but I just felt like sharing that with all you nice people!

Got an important exam coming up tomorrow at the uni but I don't care, I'll get a good grade anyway. :P

Fuck, I'm drunk. Of course that's not news to you as I'm always drunk but I just felt like sharing that with all you nice people!

Got an important exam coming up tomorrow at the uni but I don't care, I'll get a good grade anyway. :P

Spike in disguise maybe? :Goober: