Jump to content

🇧🇷 20. Joao Pedro


ZAPHOD2319
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 6 months later...

Its good for us. He can finally get some rest and come back stronger next season.

If he were in brazil's squad and had a good world cup, barça would be much more interested in him.

Btw, Palmer probably will be left of england squad and finally had a proper rest.

Edited by Mário César
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mário César said:

Its good for us. He can finally get some rest and come back stronger next season.

If he were in brazil's squad and had a good world cup, barça would be much more interested in him.

Btw, Palmer probably will be left of england squad and finally had a proper rest.

I don't think Palmer is going to the WC, I honestly think he will take Foden instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carlo just wanted the rest of the football world to walk around like him with a raised eye brow. Seriously though,bizarre squad selection choices.

Could be positive for us.JP getting rest and then a pre-season with Xabi,channel his frustration into positivity for next season and beyond.

Could be negative as he may think the season the club had cost him this WC.but Barcelona are just browsing Harrods on dole money budget. So not bothered about them actually taking him,just maybe unsettling him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joao Pedro’s Brazil World Cup absence is a shock. But it will be to Chelsea’s benefit

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/7290028/2026/05/19/joao-pedro-Chelsea-brazil-world-cup-analysis/

GettyImages-2275303100-scaled-e177917669

Who would have thought Carlo Ancelotti could be the bearer of such bad news for a top Chelsea striker?

The former Chelsea manager provided quite the surprise on Monday evening by leaving Joao Pedro out of the Brazil squad for this summer’s World Cup.

Few saw this coming. Not least Joao Pedro’s extended family, who filmed themselves gathered around to watch Brazil’s squad announcement… only to be disappointed when his name was not read out.

As The Athletic revealed last week, representing Brazil has been the forward’s dream since he was a teenager. After scoring an impressive 20 goals in all competitions for a struggling Chelsea side — which has recently seen him named the Chelsea supporters’ men’s player of the season — and having featured in the last Brazil squad, it looked like he would surely make the cut.

Perhaps he lost out to sentiment or just pure reputation. Neymar, 34, was among the attackers picked instead.

“Of course, we are sad for Joao Pedro,” said Ancelotti, as reported by MSN. “For the season he had in Europe, he probably deserved to be on this list, but unfortunately, with all possible awareness and respect, we chose another player. I feel very sorry for Joao Pedro and all the others (left out).”

Ancelotti, who won the double of Premier League and FA Cup with Chelsea in 2010, tried to provide the consolation that Joao Pedro will have “the opportunity to be part of the next World Cup”. But four years is going to feel a long way away right now.

Admittedly, Joao Pedro has not scored in the eight caps he has won for Brazil so far. Five of those have come under Ancelotti this season, so that will not have helped his cause.

Yet anyone who saw his overhead kick against Nottingham Forest or that incredible shot with his left foot at Napoli, to give just two examples of his talent in front of goal, will be mystified at the snub.

The big winners in this are Chelsea and their new manager, Xabi Alonso. Instead of adding to his workload with highly pressurised games in intense heat, Joao Pedro will be getting some welcome mental and physical rest instead.

It means the 24-year-old will get to enjoy a proper break. That is all the more important given his summer vacation was cut short last year by signing for Chelsea from Brighton and Hove Albion and helping them win the Club World Cup.

Alonso officially starts at Chelsea on July 1, and Joao Pedro will be able to begin working with him on the first day of pre-season training soon after. Such time is precious. Chelsea’s World Cup call-ups will be playing catch-up when they report for duty because their holiday will have to be fitted in after their country’s participation in the tournament is over.

Joao Pedro will only be human if he is feeling rather crushed right now. But such setbacks can also be a positive in motivating to get even better.

Posting on his official Instagram account within hours of Ancelotti’s squad announcement, Joao Pedro is clearly taking the professional approach. “I tried to give my best at all times,” he wrote. “Unfortunately, it wasn’t possible to fulfil this dream of representing my country in a World Cup, but I remain calm and focused, as I always try to be.

“Joys and frustrations are part of football. I wish good luck to everyone who is there, and I will be just another fan cheering for them to bring the sixth title (World Cup) home.”

Should Brazil disappoint, Joao Pedro’s omission will come under even more scrutiny. Chelsea may come to reflect on it, though, as a blessing in disguise.

Simon Johnson has spent the majority of his career as a sports reporter since 2000 covering Chelsea, firstly for Hayters, then the London Evening Standard and finally The Athletic for the past six years. This included going to every game home and away as the west London club secured the Champions League in 2012. He also reported on the England national team between 2008-19 and been a regular contributor to talkSPORT radio station for over a decade.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • 0 members are here!

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...