8. Enzo Fernandez

ZAPHOD2319

1 hour ago, ChrissWTF said:

You will address him as Mr. President !!!

Never.

Number 1: I am not an American, so that fat fucking lying bag of tiny white-rage dicks was never my president and never will be.

Number 2: In terms of the inner core essence of Trump, it is as if someone took everything that was bad about America, everything that is bad about humanity, scraped it up off the floor and out of the gutter, wrapped it all up in an old rancid sausage casing, and then taught it to make noises with its pseudo face.

Getting out of hand now...

French-Argentine racism controversy pushes presidents Emmanuel Macron and Javier Milei to have emergency meeting in Paris after Chelsea star Enzo Fernandez shared chant online

Argentine President Javier Milei flew to meet French President Emmanuel Macron at the ongoing Paris Olympics after tensions escalated between their countries over the Argentine soccer team's derogatory post-match chants about French players.

Argentina's Enzo Fernandez shared a short clip from the team's Copa America victory celebrations in Miami earlier this month. The footage shows triumphant Argentine players chanting a song considered racist toward French players of African heritage. 

'They play for France but their parents are from Angola,' the refrain goes, with some transphobic slurs mixed in.

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Dressing room divide before a ball is kicked, some will bury the hatchet and crack on, others won't be and that is where the problems will be

As Mikel said in a recent podcast, winning will change things. If we have a bad start & Enzo is ever present, our season could be over before we know it.

4 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Club consider the situation closed.

Still not convinced this will be last we hear of it and does anyone else think that this is a bit of a weak punishment?

Would expect him to be put on some sort of anti racism awareness/education course (is that even the right word) plus fined heavy as well.

But a donation is a donation and if this is it “settled” in the squad I suppose we will see. Racism tends to not be dealt with as easily. FIFA should throw the book at him and Argentina though so cannot be any moaning from our side if things end up much more severe. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, DH1988 said:

Long balls were very good, where from? Deep. Shock. Not bloody #10!! No one doubts the talent but it's game 1 and he's already throwing his hands up because others aren't pressing with him.

A good few of times v City when he’s pressing it was either too soon or too late. Or he’s dragging himself out of the teams shape to go press, which I get the enthusiasm but have to be smart, go at the right time etc. But 100% he’s not a 10 and sooner Maresca learns that the better. 

His attitude and body language has concerned me for a while, particularly last season. No doubt talented but £106m you expect a lot more and should really play a lot more consistently.

He has probably had smoke blown up his arse in the whole charm offensive to get him here, has the 8 year deal, the number 8 shirt, likely been told how the club see him as a key cog for the present and future but he needs to seriously perform. And Maresca has to be bold enough to leave him out if he doesn’t. 

Throwing his arms about shit is pretty petty from a 23 year old who hasn’t achieved anything for the club as of yet. Yes demand more from others and yourself but do it in the right way. Hate seeing this in football. Irritates the fucking life out of me. 

15 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

A good few of times v City when he’s pressing it was either too soon or too late. Or he’s dragging himself out of the teams shape to go press, which I get the enthusiasm but have to be smart, go at the right time etc. But 100% he’s not a 10 and sooner Maresca learns that the better. 

His attitude and body language has concerned me for a while, particularly last season. No doubt talented but £106m you expect a lot more and should really play a lot more consistently.

He has probably had smoke blown up his arse in the whole charm offensive to get him here, has the 8 year deal, the number 8 shirt, likely been told how the club see him as a key cog for the present and future but he needs to seriously perform. And Maresca has to be bold enough to leave him out if he doesn’t. 

Throwing his arms about shit is pretty petty from a 23 year old who hasn’t achieved anything for the club as of yet. Yes demand more from others and yourself but do it in the right way. Hate seeing this in football. Irritates the fucking life out of me. 

It's odd because all I want to see as a baseline is someone running their socks off like any fan would given a chance at donning the shirt, which he did vs City but you're completely right he took the shape out, allowed the midfield bypass and Im thinking to myself buddy you aren't fooling anyone here running around like a chicken when you aren't supposed to be at that time. Lavia and Caicedo often didn't have any options due him not being in the one touch range which lead to us going backwards. 

It's one game, blah blah blah, the difference is we've seen enough of Enzo further forward to know it doesn't work, similarly he gets breezed past being deeper but pings balls everywhere, it's definitely a conundrum. No one doubts his ability, remember the Liverpool game last year? Unreal individual performance, but I'm not sure he fits us, £100m+ problem.

Rewatching  the extended highlights, I noticed how many poor controls he had. Esp in the city box on 3 instances when an easy pass pinged 5m off him only for him to go to ground under minimal contact when chasing after it. He really was never an elite player technically but his presence is just annoying with his wannabe leader antics. Embarrassing. Quickly becoming the Sterling of midfielders. We know he can do better as soon as Maresca stops playing him out of position. 

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Rewatching  the extended highlights, I noticed how many poor controls he had. Esp in the city box on 3 instances when an easy pass pinged 5m off him only for him to go to ground under minimal contact when chasing after it. He really was never an elite player technically but his presence is just annoying with his wannabe leader antics. Embarrassing. Quickly becoming the Sterling of midfielders. We know he can do better as soon as Maresca stops playing him out of position. 

Not sure what position gives you a better first touch tbh

15 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Simply is not suited at all for this role that numerous managers have now tried him in. As far as his technical ability I disagree. Remember that performance he had against Liverpool last season in particular? He ran the game and danced through their midfield over and over again. He was amazing playing deeper then. But for whatever reason managers keep experimenting with him high up the pitch. Even during this latest Copa America the Argentina manager initially played him high up, it didn’t work there either, and then he moved deeper and was better.

Perhaps they’re afraid of him getting breezed past defensively when he’s deep? Idk, but with both Caicedo and Lavia that’s less of a concern for me. For me, if Enzo plays against the very biggest teams he HAS to play deep or not at all. 

25 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Not sure what position gives you a better first touch tbh

Haha good point but you have to see it in context. When he is making a run into the box closely marked  like vs city he has less time and more pressure to make a proper connection. A lose control will be an instant turnover . I don’t think he always miscontrols these kind of balls but he is more likely to when in a more advanced position which he is less experienced at at the top level.
When he receives the ball deeper in midfield he does not necessarily need to touch it towards goal but has more options to divert it away from the opponent. Plus a pass in midfield is more likely to be a straightforward ball without much spin. The flat crosses he miscontrolled vs city were fizzed in.