Chelsea 0-1 Arsenal

James

Also, not sure if anybody else has mentioned it but why didn’t we put Zakaria on at all ? I think he had a decent game and at least he scored a goal and he also took at least a few steps in a forward direction !! Surely he would have been an alternative to Jorginho or RLC ?

I agree in part with the manager/driving instructor comparison — but if someone on the pitch consistently doesn’t carry out instructions surely you take him off ? Jorginho in particular drives me to distraction,he now plays most of the game with his back to the opposition goal,no wonder we never go forwards.

And I also agree to the Laylabelle point re Mendy. He scares the sh.t out of me on a regular basis with his distribution .He frequently rolls the ball to a defender who has two attackers bearing down on him and suddenly “panic stations”. I can’t believe he is told to do that, so it seems to his total lack of awareness 

12 minutes ago, Seymop said:

And I also agree to the Laylabelle point re Mendy. He scares the sh.t out of me on a regular basis with his distribution .He frequently rolls the ball to a defender who has two attackers bearing down on him and suddenly “panic stations”. I can’t believe he is told to do that, so it seems to his total lack of awareness 

Middle of the road keeper that's why- Problem with Mendy comes when he has to think

4 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

All started with not investing into the side after Conte won the league and we sold Matic for peanuts. 

Sarri started this transition to 'possession' football with Jorginho as the teachers pet and now we're stuck in no mans land.  Feels like any progress we made in those UCL games against AC Milan have been well and truly wiped out with both Reece & Fofana going down to bad injuries. 

If only July 1 was around the corner, we could look forward to a good transfer window and sell of the players that don't need/want to be here.   

Don't be surprised if we're in 10th place later on in the season, the only thing that can save us now (from real pain) is a magical potion which gets Reece & Kante fit for the 2nd half of the season.

Sorry but there's no excuses for this squad to be that far down.

It may be too flawed to challenge the title but top four should be minimum requirement.

3 hours ago, Seymop said:

I agree in part with the manager/driving instructor comparison — but if someone on the pitch consistently doesn’t carry out instructions surely you take him off ? Jorginho in particular drives me to distraction,he now plays most of the game with his back to the opposition goal,no wonder we never go forwards.

I do agree, but as bad as jorgi is half the time he's not on the pitch we look worse than when he is, jorgi for me isn't the problem, the problem is there is no one for jorgi to release our midfield is so stale and flat. The movement yesterday was non existent, unfortunately the only pass available was backwards. To me this points more to the fact potter has had no time to proper impose his style, because so far it's just game after game after game, feels like it's more prepping for the opposition than actual style of play training.

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Sorry but there's no excuses for this squad to be that far down.

It may be too flawed to challenge the title but top four should be minimum requirement.

Why? RLC mid table azi now mid table, Mendy mid table, puli ziyech broja jorgi mid table, auba past it, what aspect of our current squad shouts out top 4? 

Edited by YorkshireBlue

8 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Why? RLC mid table azi now mid table, Mendy mid table, puli ziyech broja jorgi mid table, auba past it, what aspect of our current squad shouts out top 4? 

We went through this the last time we lost Chilwell and Reece. If Newcastle and Spurs keep getting results, we will not finish top 4. The only reason we made it the last time was the other teams feel apart. 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Because Tuchel achieved it with this squad minus Gallagher, Broja, Forfana etc (all be it with Rudi) despite juggling 5 competitions, an injury/Covid crisis and one of the most unprecedented events to hit a football club, if not the.

Lampard achieved it despite losing Hazard alongside a transfer ban.

Sarri achieved it when we had next to no depth outside the first Xl and were on the first season of overhauling our playing style.

Even Conte while half arsing the job only narrowly missed out.

11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Because Tuchel achieved it with this squad minus Gallagher, Broja, Forfana etc (all be it with Rudi) despite juggling 5 competitions, an injury/Covid crisis and one of the most unprecedented events to hit a football club, if not the.

Lampard achieved it despite losing Hazard alongside a transfer ban.

Sarri achieved it when we had next to no depth outside the first Xl and were on the first season of overhauling our playing style.

Even Conte while half arsing the job only narrowly missed out.

That's all well and good but look at how the other teams around us have changed, far more factors come into play rather than because X Y X did it. Just think we are still to this day rocking the same midfield as when Conte was here.

Edited by YorkshireBlue

Not seen any other comments on Zakaria? Surely he did enough in the one game he played to come on as a sub against Arsenal, when the midfield we did play were just getting overrun ? 

16 minutes ago, Seymop said:

Not seen any other comments on Zakaria? Surely he did enough in the one game he played to come on as a sub against Arsenal, when the midfield we did play were just getting overrun ? 

The fact he wasn't even a used sub is also worrying. 

Jorginho was practically on his own considering Ruben and our attack felt like running away from the ball vs making themselves as options. Horrid display of management and execution. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Potter is mid table. These guys won the champions league , Mendy and jorg and puli were insane on that run 

2 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:Why? RLC mid table azi now mid table, Mendy mid table, puli ziyech broja jorgi mid table, auba past it, what aspect of our current squad shouts out top 4? 

Wouldn’t disagree. I would only put Thiago/ Mason/ Reece,Ben and Ngolo ( all injured) and perhaps Chalobah as a sub in my Top 4 team

1 hour ago, lucio said:

Potter is mid table. These guys won the champions league , Mendy and jorg and puli were insane on that run 

Lewis Hamilton is 7 time world champion but he ain't winning another any time soon shit changes players change teams change. 2 seasons ago nearly this team won the champions League, that shit needs to stop these players ain't good enough REGARDLESS of the manager, they didn't play for TT this season and not playing great for potter, yet potter is the bad guy and TT isn't get a grip and stop been blind to facts.

47 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Lewis Hamilton is 7 time world champion but he ain't winning another any time soon shit changes players change teams change. 2 seasons ago nearly this team won the champions League, that shit needs to stop these players ain't good enough REGARDLESS of the manager, they didn't play for TT this season and not playing great for potter, yet potter is the bad guy and TT isn't get a grip and stop been blind to facts.

They went 3-0 up away to Madrid last season , and deserved to go through if it wasn’t for errors. Not to mention almost winning 2 domestic cups vs a great Liverpool team. 
the idea that finishing mid table is justified because the team is mid table standard is just wrong. If potter finishes mid table it’s because he’s a bad manager , hopefully he won’t though

1 hour ago, lucio said:

They went 3-0 up away to Madrid last season , and deserved to go through if it wasn’t for errors. Not to mention almost winning 2 domestic cups vs a great Liverpool team. 
the idea that finishing mid table is justified because the team is mid table standard is just wrong. If potter finishes mid table it’s because he’s a bad manager , hopefully he won’t though

If the team is mid table standard then u finish accordingly 

13 hours ago, lucio said:

If Potter finishes mid-table it's because he was given an attack and midfield that just don't give a f*ck anymore.   Time for guys like Sterling & Pulisic & Havertz to start pulling their weight and scoring goals for the team.

The whole team right now screams mid-table.   No Kante, no Reece, Kovacic running at 50% fitness....

You take away 3 first team starters from the rest of the top 4 sides, they would probably look much worse as well.