Chelsea 1 - 1 RB Salzburg

ZAPHOD2319

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/live/article-11194257/Graham-Potter-press-conference-LIVE.html

Graham Potter opens up on the 'whirlwind' of taking over at Chelsea as he holds his first press conference since replacing Thomas Tuchel... and admits he's never even BEEN to a Champions League game ahead of his debut tomorrow night.

19 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Potter plays 352

Don't be surprised if he abandons the the 3-5-2 now that he is at a stronger team.  When he was at Osterund, he explained that he used a three back line up because his team was not strong enough to compete in a more direct 4-3-3 type line up used by other teams in Sweden's top tier.  At Brighton, he faced a similar talent gap, and thus favored the 3 back line up.  But even there, he ran many different formations depending on the circumstance.  He has run 4-2-3-1 on several occasions; even a 4-2-1-2-1.  So it appears that, unlike TT, he is not wedded to the formation believing it is somehow inherently superior (despite all objective evidence to the contrary). Rather, he appears to look for what best suits the team.  Given that the roster is now heavy with wings and defenders, I suspect that 4-2-3-1 could be in the works, with either Havertz or Mount playing the center offensive mid. 

28 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Jorginho will unfortunately be the mainstay for Potter. 

I'd expect so with our lack of ball-playing CM's. One of the reasons I mentioned the prospect of signing Mac Allister. 

46 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I'd expect so with our lack of ball-playing CM's. One of the reasons I mentioned the prospect of signing Mac Allister. 

Isn’t macallister more of a no 10 tho? I always thought he was overrated and only gets rated bc he fits potter but as long as we have potter it could work 

would hate to see Jorginho featuring heavily still. He will remain a liability under any manager

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Isn’t macallister more of a no 10 tho? I always thought he was overrated and only gets rated bc he fits potter but as long as we have potter it could work 

would hate to see Jorginho featuring heavily still. He will remain a liability under any manager

Always thought Mount would be Potter's Mac Allister. 

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

Always thought Mount would be Potter's Mac Allister. 

Mount seems like Mourinho’s Dele Ali atm tho

honestly I dislike the idea of signing one system one coach players just as much as you he next guy. Modern football is as much about pace and athleticism as it is about tactics,  ball playing ability etc these days. You can’t have too many free riders on your team who can’t run at pace with and without the ball. 

50 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

He can play in both positions quite comfortably. We just need to permanently dislodge Jorgi from the starting XI and, eventually, sell him to a side in Italy.

Just to point out, my interest in him as a possible signee was present prior to Potter even joining.