Chelsea 1 - 1 RB Salzburg

ZAPHOD2319

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

We should also keep in mind this was Salzburg. One of the worst teams we will face all seasons. Their combined market value is pretty much the same as Bournemouth’s, the worst team in PL. 

and they were missing like 4 starters. 

Will say it again, a lot of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Underperforming is one thing but some of them clearly aren’t that bothered and it shows.

Only one game for GP but I am struggling to see what more he can really squeeze out of players like Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Loftus-Cheek that Tuchel couldn’t. It is clear they aren’t going to be players we can rely on this season. Auba isn’t going to get goals with the service we seen tonight. Our attack needed at least another top level wide forward and although we got Aubamayang this summer, we are still going to be short up top solely relying on him and Sterling to get the goals. 

I am also baffled GP said that the effort and application was there tonight, we didn’t really play with any more urgency on or off the ball than we have done at any point this season. I hope he’s going to be a bit sterner behind the scenes with some of them. 

16 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

We should also keep in mind this was Salzburg. One of the worst teams we will face all seasons. Their combined market value is pretty much the same as Bournemouth’s, the worst team in PL. 

The supposed market value of a side means nothing. Particularly when you don’t do the basics against them well as a team ie winning headers, duels, running/pressing etc. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

18 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Will say it again, a lot of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Underperforming is one thing but some of them clearly aren’t that bothered and it shows.

Only one game for GP but I am struggling to see what more he can really squeeze out of players like Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Loftus-Cheek that Tuchel couldn’t. It is clear they aren’t going to be players we can rely on this season. Auba isn’t going to get goals with the service we seen tonight. Our attack needed at least another top level wide forward and although we got Aubamayang this summer, we are still going to be short up top solely relying on him and Sterling to get the goals. 

I am also baffled GP said that the effort and application was there tonight, we didn’t really play with any more urgency on or off the ball than we have done at any point this season. I hope he’s going to be a bit sterner behind the scenes with some of them. 

The supposed market value of a side means nothing. Particularly when you don’t do the basics against them well as a team ie winning headers, duels, running/pressing etc. 

I agree. The market value is flattering Salzburg a lot when they are missing starters and also given the fact that German and Austrian players are usually overrated as tm is  mostly operated by Germans and Austrians 

i was just using it as means to show that Salzburg are a team we should make light work of not just playing ok, creating chances etc. the majority of the players are done. Not physically but mentally. It is normal for TT teams to burn out mentally after a few years but usually not this soon. So far GP has not had the time to rejuvenate them but this today  has not exactly given hope he even can. I’m not blaming him for not making an instant impact but the lineup he put out today was an absolute disaster, he hardly could have picked a worse team. 
we should also not put too much hope in Auba . He is just a tragic, finished player and will hardly score any goals for us.

If he’s going to go with a lone striker it has to be Broja. Dude makes darting runs and actually has a physical presence about him. Let the young kid play. 

Auba just isn’t that guy anymore, think Auba can help as a super sub or playing next to someone. 

5 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

What the hell happened over the summer?

We lost Abramovich?

Face it. 

There are a lot of questions about the current Chelsea. Its no surprise that we failed so miserably to attract first choice targets.

There will be doubts about the clubs ambition, with the new regime taking over. Its absolutely imperative we finish in the top 4 in their first season to show that we still have the same edge.

And this is why I did not want the added doubt of Potter replacing Tuchel, especially so soon.. It just adds to the list uncertainties.

4 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

I genuinely believe we finish second in this group, new man needs time to get the ideas across and build confidence, far to early to be pressing panic buttons

Despite the current state of the team, I agree. If we win at least one of the legs against Milan, and at least draw the other one, I would fancy our chances to finish second.

3 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Despite the current state of the team, I agree. If we win at least one of the legs against Milan, and at least draw the other one, I would fancy our chances to finish second.

Results in both games against Milan? I'm not confident.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Results in both games against Milan? I'm not confident.

Based on current form I agree. 

More than the turgid attack I'm concerned about our inability to keep clean sheets. I think today the oddball combination of Silva and Azpi in the center let Potter down.

Just hoping he finds a better solution for the next game.

But hey, Kante's back next month probably. So he might end up masking our deficiencies again.

Edited by Blue Armour

Agree with earlier comments re the quality of our summer signings. I guess we will never know the full  reasons why we didn’t get one first choice over the line. It’s too early to judge Potter but a lot going on leaves me baffled.  No place last night for Either of our new centre halves one of which we paid a fortune for , no place for Zakaria but we turn to Loftus Cheek again (!!), Auba is a complete waste of space. Why did we sign these guys —answer PANIC !!

5 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

We lost Abramovich?

Face it. 

There are a lot of questions about the current Chelsea. Its no surprise that we failed so miserably to attract first choice targets.

There will be doubts about the clubs ambition, with the new regime taking over. Its absolutely imperative we finish in the top 4 in their first season to show that we still have the same edge.

And this is why I did not want the added doubt of Potter replacing Tuchel, especially so soon.. It just adds to the list uncertainties.

We fucked up MASSIVELY under Roman and Marina (and our pisswig scouting department) by not buying Tchou plus either Vlahovic or Osimhen in summer 2021 and instead buying that piece of shite Lukaku)

and not fucking renewing Rudiger and just giving him his £10m signing bonus or whatever

and that is just the tip of the iceberg

Boehly has not been across the board stellar, but he was tossed into a nightmare situ

we also will start to stabilise when we get a proper DoF and also finish binning the trash on the team

above all else, we are in the mud because MANY of our key and/or biggest players have went to utter shit or are injured or always were shit:

Havertz

Mount

Kante (injured)

Mendy

Jorginho

Azpi (he is well fucking spent, I am enraged he is still here and being relied upon, ZERO reason we did not buy Joakim Mæhle, FFS)

no Rudiger and KK looks a semi bust SO FAR (dog knows he needs to come good)

Ziyech

Pulisic

Gallagher

that is a HUGE amount to all be playing like shit at once

the new wild cards who can help sort this IF they integrate in and start to play well are

Wesley Fofana (I am really worried that he is still not at all 100% recovered, and it may take until next season for hm to start to resume his ascent)
Kalidou Koulibaly (so needs to step up, thsi has potential to be the worst Boehly buy so far, unless Fofana utterly shits out long term)
Denis Zakaria (thank fuck he is only on a loan with an option, but also I so hope he turns out to be the monster he used to be, pre injury ... wtf is up with us buying players coming off insane injuries???!!????)
Carney Chukwuemeka (I really want to see what this lad can do, he COULD be a revelation and the (or at least one of) shot we need) 
Armando Broja  (really pissed he missed that sitter tonight, GRRRRRR)
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Potter needs to focus on him like a laser and get him up to speed and over his butthirt about Tuchel, plus he needs time to heal physically and mentally, he just was beaten badly and nearly murdered ffs, along with his family)

Gabriel Slonina (in January, but not sure at all if he is ready, it is a HUGE ask for an 18yo GK, who was just 17yo still 4 months and one day ago)

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

We fucked up MASSIVELY under Roman and Marina (and our pisswig scouting department) by not buying Tchou plus either Vlahovic or Osimhen in summer 2021 and instead buying that piece of shite Lukaku)

and not fucking renewing Rudiger and just giving him his £10m signing bonus or whatever

and that is just the tip of the iceberg

Boehly has not been across the board stellar, but he was tossed into a nightmare situ

we also will start to stabilise when we get a proper DoF and also finish binning the trash on the team

above all else, we are in the mud because MANY of our key and/or biggest players have went to utter shit or are injured or always were shit:

Havertz

Mount

Kante (injured)

Mendy

Jorginho

Azpi (he is well fucking spent, I am enraged he is still here and being relied upon, ZERO reason we did not buy Joakim Mæhle, FFS)

no Rudiger and KK looks a semi bust SO FAR (dog knows he needs to come good)

Ziyech

Pulisic

Gallagher

that is a HUGE amount to all be playing like shit at once

the new wild cards who can help sort this IF they integrate in and start to play well are

Wesley Fofana (I am really worried that he is still not at all 100% recovered, and it may take until next season for hm to start to resume his ascent)
Kalidou Koulibaly (so needs to step up, thsi has potential to be the worst Boehly buy so far, unless Fofana utterly shits out long term)
Denis Zakaria (thank fuck he is only on a loan with an option, but also I so hope he turns out to be the monster he used to be, pre injury ... wtf is up with us buying players coming off insane injuries???!!????)
Carney Chukwuemeka (I really want to see what this lad can do, he COULD be a revelation and the (or at least one of) shot we need) 
Armando Broja  (really pissed he missed that sitter tonight, GRRRRRR)
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Potter needs to focus on him like a laser and get him up to speed and over his butthirt about Tuchel, plus he needs time to heal physically and mentally, he just was beaten badly and nearly murdered ffs, along with his family)

Gabriel Slonina (in January, but not sure at all if he is ready, it is a HUGE ask for an 18yo GK, who was just 17yo still 4 months and one day ago)

Yes the previous regime has a lot to answer for. Still can't get over how we let both Rudiger's and Christensens contract run down like that.

And I really hope a new DOF and a couple of transfer windows can fix the mess we are in currently, but I fear we'll be in an even bigger mess if we fail to finish top 4 this season. If this window has been any indication, we will find it even harder to attract talent.

If we fail to win the next league game and the next CL game, I'll be almost ready to write this season off. At that point its going to be a massive ask of Potter to steady the ship.

And yes, Koulibaly is looking to be the biggest dud so far. But to be fair, not too many people thought he would be this horrendous.

Ideally, I would have liked to sign Skriniar, and kept Koulibaly for rotation. For Silva. But 37 year old Silva seems far superior, FFS. Instead of solidifying the back line and linking well with Mendy he's gone kamikaze. 

I still hope his nerves settle and he can regain his reputation as a commanding CB., but for now the signs don't look. And agree about your assessment about Fofana.

Physically Chalobah is better than both, but he still has mistakes in him.