Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

speaking of Arsenal Citeh, and fullbacks who were CBs

I can see the exact same thing happening with Calafiori that is happening with Gvardiol

he will play a lot at LB I am sure, as they are loaded at CB and sort of weak at LB (well were, lol)

BUT

like Gvardiol, I deffo see Calafiori as more of a CB than a fullback

although both will likely (like Alaba) be great no matter where they play

Arse also has yet another CB who was thrust into LB, in Jakub Kiwior, and apparently are willing to sell him (which is strange, as I think he was looked more than decent when he has played either at CB or LB) especially now that they have Calafiori

Kiwior was almost always a CB at Spezia, other than a brief stint at DMF that was forced by injuries to others.

Oleksandr Zinchenko is overrated as a LB and Arse are not that happy with him either, as he is very weak defensively (which is why Pep sold him)

13 hours ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

Should just sell him to them at a dirt cheap price but with a high percentage sell on,just incase he does a CHO.

I think the deal is fine. Ipswich aren't as bad as some of the promoted teams last year and there is a chance of further point reductions for other teams. For sure, the odds say they will go down but there is a chance they stay up. 

33 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Not disagreeing with the sensible takes, but reminder that defenders are also very dependent on what happens in front of them; completely exposed CBs without the necessary support early look good.

Also, why not have a Chelsea transfer per season? It's hard to search in this huge thread.

ask the admins about the thread issue

I just use 'search' all the time and can find most of the info I need

plus (and this is only me) I can recall my posts on a historic basis (if I was eith slating a potential buy, or if, as is my want here, I was making a list of targets that I myself rated)

I have deffo gotten much better in terms of spotting talent than I was 6 and half years ago, when I joined

some (certainly not all) of my oldest reccos were a bit cringe, eeeeek

not so much the past several years, when I really started to dig deeper

27 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I think the deal is fine. Ipswich aren't as bad as some of the promoted teams last year and there is a chance of further point reductions for other teams. For sure, the odds say they will go down but there is a chance they stay up. 

I think there are 4 teams who are (IMHO) clearly the worst in the EPL this year

in order from worst to the best of the bottom:

20 Ipswich

19 Leicester

18 Everton (so hope they go down, finally)

17 Southampton

I think the 3 relegated come from there

after them, there are 3 others who could, in theory, perhaps go down:

16 Bournemouth

15 Fulham

14 Brentford (if they lose Toney and do not remotely replace him)

I do not see Wolves (13) or Forest (12) going down

and for sure none of the other 11

all the bottom 12 order is subject to revision if some giant buys and/or sales kick on

Edited by Vesper

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

20 Ipswich

19 Leicester

17 Southampton

16 Bournemouth

15 Fulham

all the bottom 12 order is subject to revision if some giant buys and/or sales kick on

Not really sure about Fulham, but otherwise it sounds about right. Brentford is still both losing and signing players, so need to wait and see until the window shuts.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

He plays CB for the Croatian SR team, played mostly CB at Leipzig and before that, Dinamo Zagreb, and I assume, once Pep fucks off after this season (let's hope he does, lol) that he will eventually shift back into a primary CB role

Pep's system is pretty unique in that he can use CB's as FB's to a greater degree than most others, as he has shown with Ake and Akanji as well

at least that is my take on things after watching it for many years now

the one high quality CB who has perma switched to FB that I can recall is Ben Whote as Arse's RB

I do not at all see him going back to CB (and unlike Gvardiol, White always seemed a bit on the light side for an EPL CB anyway, but perfect for an EPL fullback)

Lucas Hernández always struck me as more of a fullback than a CB

and Alaba, who is a great CB now (at least for years before his injury) was the best LB in the world for a good spell

all 3 of those are not the rock solid, bigger build that Gvardiol has

they all 'look' like fullbacks, versus Gvardiol 'looking' like a CB to my eye

Yes, Gvardíol was playing centre back for Leipzig when I became aware of him. When I posted my left back theory on here there was some pushback. One poster in particular, not you, ridiculed the idea as silly, pointing out that Gvardíol had never played left back in his life. I replied that I didn't care because he had perfect attributes for a left back. Turns out I did a better job of convincing Pep than I did of convincing that poster. Who knew the City boss was a member of TalkChelsea? 🙂

As you know CFCW recently parted company with Katarina Svitkova. I'm convinced this was for non football reasons and said so in a CFCW chat group. Someone replied that she was no great loss because she had been a bit part player anyway. My response was that if I was picking the team she would be way more than that. The same goes for JG. As long as Pep is following my suggestions, he will remain a left back. 🙂🙂

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

Burnley and Chelsea have signed all documents for Bashir Humphreys deal.

Exclusive details of the deal: £12m fixed fee, £2.7m add-ons and there will be also undisclosed sell-on clause.

Humphreys, new Burnley player. Here we go and story confirmed. 🤝🏻

(Fabrizio Romano)

They are very good at selling Winstanley and Stewart👌

20 minutes ago, mkh said:

Exclusive details of the deal: £12m fixed fee, £2.7m add-ons and there will be also undisclosed sell-on clause.

(Fabrizio Romano)

Wow. That is a good deal for us. 

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

20 Ipswich

19 Leicester

17 Southampton

16 Bournemouth

15 Fulham

I think Brentford may be in a bit of trouble this year as they were pretty bad in the second half of last year and when it comes to teams in the mid-to-bottom sections of the league, form can quite easily carry over. Apart from that, I largely agree. However, I do think it will be tighter this year than last. 

On 19/08/2024 at 19:44, YorkshireBlue said:

Stop smoking weed for a second! For the left we now have mudryk, Neto and looks like Felix as well, nkunku can play there also! Wtf do we need sterling for exactly? 

Someone has to clean out the toilets at Cobham

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

as a noob you have no clue

I, for instance, was extremely unhappy with every one, plus Koulibaly

I remained neutral on the freebie Tosin, but I had doubts, and so far he looks far from good enough

I lost my shit especially over Fofana and Disasi, especially Wesley (search it, I said he has the potential to be one of out worst buys ever)

I HAVE been a big Colwill fangirl, but ffs, he is hardly playing up to standard I expected him to as well

I do not recall anyone here who was super happy with any of the CB buys

same for GKers

so you fail right there trying to erect some framing to try and slate us with

Don't bother with him Vesp, just block him, he’s a fucking troll.

54 minutes ago, mkh said:

(Fabrizio Romano)

Good money. Hopefully a sell on clause, would like to see some buybacks to be fair. 

Good. We are indeed doing some decent deals but always under the radar as the big mishits catch all the headlines. At least getting more than a tribunal fee for players with no perspective and bringing down the wage bill is sth we have to give them credit for. 

Taking on a very benevolent angle Clownlake do not underperform the average top clubs transfer strategy by that much when ignoring the big ones. 
Fofana, Sterling, Mudryk, Enzo, Caicedo were spectacularly terrible signing in terms of quality (relative to the alternatives) and the combined 1bn outlay (fee+wages) and will cripple the club for years to come. But when looking around, every club has made similar miscalculations. Not even talking about Barca or Manure a few years back but even smart clubs like Bayern who sold their 2 most expensive CBs ever for cents on the dollar, PSG who signed up a generation of the most promising talents to win nothing and tanking their values or losing them for free. 

What causes the most hate from within and outside the club tho is the sheer quantity of expensive young player signings and the contract lengths. Bc this is so contrary to the standard approach of all other top clubs 7,8 untouchables, 6 contenders, 5 useful squad players, only 3-5 y contracts, balanced age profile that it makes clownlake look like smug buffoons. For some who have been in the game for ages it probably feels like a slap in the face to see so much money spent in a different approach so it’s fun and easy to ridicule the dumb Americans. But we don’t know if there is any substance to those sanctions and transfer ban rumours. In fact if we were to be hit with a multi year window ban it will come in quite handy to have 2 full squads sitting on long contracts. Not saying it will happen but we should not dismiss it altogether. 

Interestingly enough the smartest business has been done by the skint Italian sides who have been impressive in Europe as well. Nothing to trouble real/city but you could argue snapping up the churn from other clubs wasteful transfer policies for peanuts has got the Milan teams quite balanced squads. Others like Atalanta or Napoli had no choice but to patiently develop players over years. If there is one page we could take from their book it is to limit excessive outlays. It’s not the financial burden alone but also the mental pressure on player and teams when you make a 100m+ signing. It’s no coincidence big money signings have a terrible success rate. Esp here the mid range signings have historically been the best at any level. Lampard, Kante, Kovacic, Essien, hazard, Cech, Gusto, Palmer etc all were signed on decent but not excessive fees at that time. 

For the record, I still condemn most of what clownlake have done to this club but I refuse to give up hope. If they just stopped making these wild random big money signings and concentrate on the little smart deals  we see every once in a while we might still have a chance to win something again in the near future. 

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

Palace want £75m for Guéhi

Inter wanted £77m for Bastoni

Barca wanted around £85m for Ronald Araujo

26d8999846ff5f6a814a28f4e5836538.png

add in Bremer and Gvardiol (when he goes back to CB from LB)

and you have the only 7 truly WC, under 30yo CBs (atm and IMHO) on the planet, (with Micky van de Ven, another one of my targets back in the day, perhaps getting there soon)

Guéhi is a very good, solid CB but nowhere near that level of value for that price

75m would mean us actually paying 60m really.plus could then sell them one or both of Disasi or Trev.(looks like they would need 2) I do think the main reason we won't sign him tho is because we already had him.even though wasnt sold on their watch they don't appear to want to re-sign players previously sold.if we were still under Roman he'd have probably bought him already.

1 minute ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

I do think the main reason we won't sign him tho is because we already had him.even though wasnt sold on their watch they don't appear to want to re-sign players previously sold

I admit I am guilty of this at times, lolol

no so much for Felix, as he was just a loan the last time, and I do rate him to a point

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

That post i made was before the 30m clause was disclosed.