Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Just now, Reddish-Blue said:

Seems like that's what the club did...offered him bumper wages on a shorter deal? 

You would think even Gallagher would see the picture with so much younger talent around the team and on loan/development....that his minutes would come down in the next 2 seasons. 

A) we don't know the wage offer and how this compares to what he would get elsewhere. 

B ) they've not provided him with assurance by making the deal so short. 

Gallagher clearly wants long term commitment here, or the biggest deal elsewhere. He is perfectly right to feel that and more importantly gone about things in the right way - I.e. the way be played last season when the club kept trying to sell him. A lot of players down tools or take the easy money straight away. 

I would imagine he would be looking at it as "I can break into this team and play this year" which is exactly the mentality you've got to have as a top player.

If he chooses to leave then I'm happy for him, if he chooses to stay then I'm happy for him. He seems like a good guy and we lose a bit of our identity when guys like this leave the club. It is not his fault the style of play has moved away from the one he excels in.

1 minute ago, King Kante said:

A) we don't know the wage offer and how this compares to what he would get elsewhere. 

B ) they've not provided him with assurance by making the deal so short. 

Gallagher clearly wants long term commitment here, or the biggest deal elsewhere. He is perfectly right to feel that and more importantly gone about things in the right way - I.e. the way be played last season when the club kept trying to sell him. A lot of players down tools or take the easy money straight away. 

You get why the club was trying to sell him though, pure profit on the books, same as Mason, same as Maatsen and I'd be surprised if it's not the same for Chalobah and Broja (if anyone wants to buy him). 

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If the manager came in and told me “mate, you’re a great player and I like you but you’re not in my plans and I’m going a different direction,” I would be really sad and disappointed but then I’d seek out the best destination for myself straight away. Instead, he may just run his contract down and waste an entire season likely not playing at all? In his prime years?

I mean, yeah, from a financial POV it’s beneficial for him. But to waste an entire season being a bit part player who will probably only see action in the Conference League is silly. Especially if he wants to stay in the picture for the national team where his place is already tenuous. 

Has the manager told him that though? Haven’t been any reports of it anywhere. 

It is club driven 100%. Look at the last 18 months, January 2023 we accepted a £45-50m bid from Everton. Last season all the talk of Spurs, particularly in January and no new contract extension. Now conveniently Atletico are in for him for £34m after he turned down a contract extension which hasn’t been disclosed, a £50m Villa move to last month and then more recently a daft 2+1 contract extension.

I really doubt we offered him a 4 or 5 year deal before accepting that bid from Villa in June…. 

10 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

A bit different when the rest of the players are new signings and the club is only giving them 5+ year deals for accounting purposes. 

Being 24 and getting a 3 year deal is actually better for the player as they'll be a free agent at 26/27 (which in most cases is the start of your career peak, especially for midfielders).   He's not a top tier talent like Reece or Colwill.  

What are you on about? It is not very often you see anyone under the age of 25 signings a 2 year with option of another season deal. Because 1) clubs aren’t as ridiculous to make such offers to anyone below 30 they actually want and 2) players sign longer deals because they believe they are part of the short, medium and long term at football clubs.

In fact when has anybody seen something like that barring Mbappe’s weird deal, who was clearly wanting the move to Madrid and PSG wouldn’t play ball? It is a daft offer - no player in the right mind is accepting that, particularly if they want to remain at the club in the long term.

Forget Reece and Levi and their 6 and 7 year extensions, if the extension offer was say 4 years 100% he’d have signed it by now.

It is a play by the club either to recoup a larger fee if he wont leave this summer or to try and force him out. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Has the manager told him that though? Haven’t been any reports of it anywhere. 

It is club driven 100%. Look at the last 18 months, January 2023 we accepted a £45-50m bid from Everton. Last season all the talk of Spurs, particularly in January and no new contract extension. Now conveniently Atletico are in for him for £34m after he turned down a contract extension which hasn’t been disclosed, a £50m Villa move to last month and then more recently a daft 2+1 contract extension.

I really doubt we offered him a 4 or 5 year deal before accepting that bid from Villa in June…. 

What are you on about? It is not very often you see anyone under the age of 25 signings a 2 year with option of another season deal. Because 1) clubs aren’t as ridiculous to make such offers to anyone below 30 they actually want and 2) players sign longer deals because they believe they are part of the short, medium and long term at football clubs.

In fact when has anybody seen something like that barring Mbappe’s weird deal, who was clearly wanting the move to Madrid and PSG wouldn’t play ball? It is a daft offer - no player in the right mind is accepting that, particularly if they want to remain at the club in the long term.

Forget Reece and Levi and their 6 and 7 year extensions, if the extension offer was say 4 years 100% he’d have signed it by now.

It is a play by the club either to recoup a larger fee if he wont leave this summer or to try and force him out. 

I mean, it’s just kind of obvious looking at the personnel we have playing in these games so far that there isn’t really a place for him. With Lavia back and looking great so far and KDH knowing Maresca’s system that’s 2 players right there that he didn’t have to compete with for a place last season. 

If Caicedo, Enzo, Lavia, and KDH are all fit PLUS the fact that we’ll be playing with an inverted fullback in midfield as well, I don’t see how he gets on the pitch. And then there’s Carney, too. And media reports about wanting to use Palmer more centrally. And Maresca himself last night saying that Nkunku can play “in the pocket.” 

Every possible position Conor can play in is well stocked currently.

39 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Reports that we've accepted a bid from Villa for Lukaku. Don't believe for one minute that he will want to go there, so I wonder if Villa are just helping us out with our Napoli negotiations?

Even if we did he is not going to play for Villa. The english media bully him and he can't handle it that is why he would rather go play in Italy for every team in Serie A.

Also I don't know if anyone saw this but Leny Yoro out 3 months with a foot injury. 

Edited by bluesman2610

10 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Conor turned down a deal that would put him at the top of the new pay structure. We can stop pretending he wants to stay and is being bullied to leave. 

It was only a 3 year deal they could have offered 3+1 if they really wanted to show him that he was valued. IMHO that offer was provided to increase his sale value.

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

I mean, it’s just kind of obvious looking at the personnel we have playing in these games so far that there isn’t really a place for him. With Lavia back and looking great so far and KDH knowing Maresca’s system that’s 2 players right there that he didn’t have to compete with for a place last season. 

If Caicedo, Enzo, Lavia, and KDH are all fit PLUS the fact that we’ll be playing with an inverted fullback in midfield as well, I don’t see how he gets on the pitch. And then there’s Carney, too. And media reports about wanting to use Palmer more centrally. And Maresca himself last night saying that Nkunku can play “in the pocket.” 

Every possible position Conor can play in is well stocked currently.

It isn’t really. The same was said last year with Lavia, Moises, Ugochuwku, Enzo and Andrey Santos (who was some sort of generational talent who ended up loaned) all being here yet he played more minutes than every one of them. And even when he returned from his loan at Palace, whilst he maybe wasn’t quite as refined a player as he is now he managed to get some playing time. 

Lavia is really the only one out of the 3 games so far that has played the most minutes in midfield. To go from saying the “managers told him he has no place” to basing it off of minutes in 3 pre season games is a pretty big reach, more so considering he was at the Euros too and probably not long just returned.

For me, if he really didn’t have a place under the manager, he’d of left him out like he did with Trevor IMO which gives me the impression the manager wants a look at him up close to form his own opinion.

I mean if he is going to go to Atletico, best of luck to him. It is better go somewhere where you are shown respect and valued. But another case of the club under this new ownership doing their utmost to push an academy player out to balance the books because of careless spending. I don’t expect it to stop either whilst we continue buying half of South America.

And irrespective of if he stays or not, if you think Lavia, Moises, Enzo, KDH, Carney and Nkunku are all going to be rotated (not even considering Casadei, Santos, Ugochuwku) and play equal minutes in a team that plays a 3 man midfield primarily then I don’t know. Someone for sure is going to miss out on a lot of minutes.

Edited by OneMoSalah

11 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

But another case of the club under this new ownership doing their utmost to push an academy player out to balance the books because of careless spending

Not sure on this, he's been offered a contract even though he doesn't fit this style of play at all, yes he did well under poch but that's because poch's way of playing suited Connor.

14 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Not sure on this, he's been offered a contract even though he doesn't fit this style of play at all, yes he did well under poch but that's because poch's way of playing suited Connor.

Yes an undisclosed first contract offer in June weeks before we accepted a £50m bid for him from Villa (move which he rejected) and then a 2+1 year contract offer the second time round before we’ve accepted a £34m bid from Atletico without hesitation. I mean the guy is 24 not 31 fuck sake, a 2 year with option of another years deal? Really…?

Do people really think the first contract offer was as serious length wise also if he’s rejected it? Same as the 2+1 year one? People are neglecting that it is the length of the contract that is 99.9% of the issue here. 

I mean the club have inadvertently made a point in letting it be known that they made a good financial offer to Connor in line with the top earning midfielders in the squad and that they are willing to do what they can to help facilitate any move but that is only to try and save face after actively looking to push him out the door for the best part of 12 months.

If people cannot see that then they have fully bought in to the Clownlake circus and will never see them in a bad light. Same with Trevor.

I mean for me guys that are the level of the likes of Tosin, Disasi and KDH should be squad players here and in reality there is barely a difference between them, Connor and Trev. So if they pan out as squad players for the fees 2 of them cost. Needless.

Edited by OneMoSalah

8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yes an undisclosed first contract offer in June weeks before we accepted a £50m bid for him from Villa (move which he rejected) and then a 2+1 year contract offer the second time round before we’ve accepted a £34m bid from Atletico without hesitation. I mean the guy is 24 not 31 fuck sake, a 2 year with option of another years deal? Really…?

Do people really think the first contract offer was as serious length wise also if he’s rejected it? Same as the 2+1 year one? People are neglecting that it is the length of the contract that is 99.9% of the issue here. 

I mean the club have inadvertently made a point in letting it be known that they made a good financial offer to Connor in line with the top earning midfielders in the squad and that they are willing to do what they can to help facilitate any move but that is only to try and save face after actively looking to push him out the door for the best part of 12 months.

If people cannot see that then they have fully bought in to the Clownlake circus and will never see them in a bad light. Same with Trevor.

I mean for me guys that are the level of the likes of Tosin, Disasi and KDH should be squad players here and in reality there is barely a difference between them, Connor and Trev. So if they pan out as squad players for the fees 2 of them cost. Needless.

I for one am a Connor fan, but even I know he can't play this system, he's a work horse, obviously they will accept the bid otherwise they may loose him on a free next season, but they have also offered him a contract, to me that says look you have this move available to you or stay for another 3 years, balls in your court.

30 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

I for one am a Connor fan, but even I know he can't play this system, he's a work horse, obviously they will accept the bid otherwise they may loose him on a free next season, but they have also offered him a contract, to me that says look you have this move available to you or stay for another 3 years, balls in your court.

Yes and I think any player aged 24 being offered a 2 years guaranteed with option for 1 more year is not going to accept it because the duration speaks for itself 😂 

Either way the club will spin it in their favour but majority of us aren’t daft enough to see what they are doing with that offer. Was the same with the deal they offered Mason after he declined their original long term contract offer. Just trying to have more of a say in the price they can demand for the player.

Whilst it may be seem as good business the whole saga with Connor has been a circus. A real lack of respect to someone who was one of the only ones last year who actually knuckled down and contributed a lot throughout the season despite the constant talk of the club willingly wanting to offload him at every opportunity.

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yes and I think any player aged 24 being offered a 3 year contract is not going to accept it because the duration speaks or itself 😂 

Either way the club will spin it in their favour but majority of us aren’t daft enough to see what they are doing with that offer. 

Was the same with the daft deal they offered Mason after he declined their original contract offer. 

The contract they offered to Mount that he sat on was reported to be the same deal that Reece James accepted. Mount wanted more. He overplayed his value, or his father did, and the deal was taken away. It is not the same situation as Conor, nor are they the same players or value to the club.

3 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

The contract they offered to Mount that he sat on was reported to be the same deal that Reece James accepted. Mount wanted more. He overplayed his value, or his father did, and the deal was taken away. It is not the same situation as Conor, nor are they the same players or value to the club.

Yes agree with the first bit but after Mason rejected that deal they offered him a daft 1 year deal in February very much along the same lines as the last offer to Connor so they could demand more money for him come the summer when we were going to sell 👍 

Edited by OneMoSalah