Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Also I don't understand why would another left footer be a problem like people are making it to be. 

Vidic-Ferdinand

Terry-Carvalho

Nesta-Stam

All right footers. And among best pairings in history. 

Two lefties can also play together. Italy did it with Calafiori himself and Bastoni. 

Indeed.and i don't think these lefties are so one footed like a defensive version of Sturridge,Leao etc...

29 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I'm unsure why there's some who believe Calafiori would be overkill. A great player for a reasonable price who can either play at CB or LB, a position we've been struggling to fill since AC retired.  

Because we’ve already got 2 left footed CB’s and two natural LB’s. Who is getting perma benched if we sign Calafiori? Badiashile, I assume? How are we going to sell him for any decent fee after he’s been rotting on our bench for 6 months or more? Bench Colwill who looks like the ideal Maresca CB?

If we were playing a 3 CB system again I’d be all for having as much quality depth as possible. But in a back 4 when we’ve already got 4 solid options for the LCB/LB roles I think buying yet another one of them is too much. If we suddenly sell Badiashile or Chilly then fair play, bring in Calafiori.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Because we’ve already got 2 left footed CB’s and two natural LB’s. Who is getting perma benched if we sign Calafiori? Badiashile, I assume? How are we going to sell him for any decent fee after he’s been rotting on our bench for 6 months or more? Bench Colwill who looks like the ideal Maresca CB?

If we were playing a 3 CB system again I’d be all for having as much quality depth as possible. But in a back 4 when we’ve already got 4 solid options for the LCB/LB roles I think buying yet another one of them is too much. If we suddenly sell Badiashile or Chilly then fair play, bring in Calafiori.

I don't know who, but a number of defenders will be sold from here until the end of the window. I'd imagine there will be plenty of suitors in Italy.

If there's one thing the current board won't do, it's buy first team players without deals already lined up. 

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I don't know who, but a number of defenders will be sold from here until the end of the window. I'd imagine there will be plenty of suitors in Italy.

If there's one thing the current board won't do, it's buy first team players without deals already lined up. 

I think Trev will go but he wasn’t going to be competing on the left side anyways. I feel like by the time we could find a buyer for Badiashile or Chilly, Calafiori will be long gone.

15 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Because we’ve already got 2 left footed CB’s and two natural LB’s.

one who is semi dross (Badi) one who is unproven (Levi) and a LB who is always injured (Chilly)

nothing changes those facts atm

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

one who is semi dross (Badi) one who is unproven (Levi) and a LB who is always injured (Chilly)

nothing changes those facts atm

And Calafiori has had one breakout season for a small Italian club. Not like he automatically starts over the guys we have.

Anyways, if we were to sign him I won’t be mad or anything. Just confused as to how Maresca deploys him.

39 minutes ago, Pizy said:

And Calafiori has had one breakout season for a small Italian club. Not like he automatically starts over the guys we have.

Anyways, if we were to sign him I won’t be mad or anything. Just confused as to how Maresca deploys him.

yes, but you have to act quickly when you spot talent like that; he's got skill on the ball that makes those special CBs, and it appears the personality to back it. I'd definitely be all over that.
e.g. he will never become available once he moves to Madrid.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I think Trev will go but he wasn’t going to be competing on the left side anyways. I feel like by the time we could find a buyer for Badiashile or Chilly, Calafiori will be long gone.

Bologna's chairman has said it's unlikely he'll go to Juve, so it's a free-for-all in the EPL. There really aren't that many options, tbh. 

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Honest question, did you watch Bologna at all last season (finished in a CL place, btw)?

Edited by LAM09

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

And Colwill did the same at Brighton and people were losing their mind also. Its an endless cycle. And the exact same situation barring the player in question isn’t on our books.

Calafiori does look a potentially brilliant CB in the making, seen enough Bologna games whilst keeping an eye on how Lewis Ferguson was getting on there. If we could shift Badiashile, I think it would be a very clever move. Very mobile, comfortable on the ball, reads the game well.

Juventus have appointed Thiago Motta who managed him at Bologna and apparently, he has already said yes to personal terms over a move there so I would say his future will be decided quickly either way, particularly with Italy out of the Euros now.

I know there is questions over how Juventus approached Motta and the relationships a bit patchy but if they have the money and the player wants to make that move specifically, then it’ll happen.

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I think he and Levi would soon be the go-to paring in a back 4, and add-in Tosin if a back 5

I am good with Tosin and Cala in back 4 too

and if/when Chilwell gets injured again, Cala is a great LB back-up option to CuCu

footedness is not THAT huge of an issue

Calafiori and Bastoni are both lefties and yet paired well for Italy

2 hours ago, whats happening said:

it started few years ago and im always confused how we have to buy a certain player because of his stronger foot

it matters a lot for 2 positions, fullback/wingback and winger

below that CB, to a point

the rest not so much at all

52 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Bologna's chairman has said it's unlikely he'll go to Juve, so it's a free-for-all in the EPL. There really aren't that many options, tbh. 

Honest question, did you watch Bologna at all last season (finished in a CL place, btw)?

Never even heard of him up until a few weeks ago. All I know is that he exploded onto the scene this past season.

42 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

strong statement from me

and I mean it, as I can no longer sit and watch the attempted gaslighting/false slating:

People who shit on players in a Big 5 league mainly (or to a large degree) because they play for a non 'top 15 or 20 in the world club' (ie a 'big club') are clueless and do not understand football talent. Full fucking stop.

I have seen this bollocks for years here, and the old board/scouts did it with WC players like Camavinga, Tchou, Nicolò Barella (pre Inter), William Saliba, Victor Osimhen (prenapoli) Gabriel Magalhães, Rodri (pre AM), etc

28 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Never even heard of him up until a few weeks ago. All I know is that he exploded onto the scene this past season.

neither of which are valid reasons against him, nr is the fact he plays for Bologna (in the CL now btw)

and also btw

Never even heard of him up until a few weeks ago

2f6b66adb6c7dec1c098c770b6e65c94.png

Edited by Vesper

10 hours ago, Vesper said:

he was easily their best player in a 97 point season with a +48 GD

I am not ecstastic over buying him, I would prefer the ones I listed above, espevially Pablo Barrios from AM (pic below), but I am ok with Dewsbury-Hall

it is silly to call him Drinkwater 2.0, as some are doing

People knock him saying he was playing in the Championship but it is more beneficial he's had a year playing against low-block, small teams with Leicester because that's what it is going to be with Chelsea for a lot of the games in the Premier League. 

It is much better than signing a 'Premier League experienced' mid who's been playing counter attacking football with Brentford or Nottingham Forest. 

6 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I'm unsure why there's some who believe Calafiori would be overkill. A great player for a reasonable price who can either play at CB or LB, a position we've been struggling to fill since AC retired.  

Mainly that we have enough options + back Levi Colwill - Can take off the kid gloves with him soon I feel. He's a good CB even though Poch system didn't exactly show him to be.