Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Just now, Mário César said:

so what do you think about selling gallagher?

If it is true that Poch really wants him / rates him (and not part of a bit of clever marketing to increase his value) then we should not unless its "fuck you money" e.g. £60m+

Just now, Pizy said:

The only case for letting Maatsen go is that for some reason Poch doesn’t think he’s a LB or LWB. Why, I have no idea. 

I think the main and only case is that Maatsen has refused to sign a contract so far?

As expected. It all comes back to he's got to sign or agree to be sold. Very sensible stance from the club tbf. Think we as fans were taking it for granted Maatsen was just going to sign and it must be some minor negotiation still going on - guess not based on this.

Not overly bothered about Maatsen in all honesty.

Decent player, from the academy yes but it is obvious Chilwell is first choice and theres no way he’s displacing him when he’s fully fit.

Cucurella was the best thing since sliced bread when we signed him, like Mudryk was, like Ziyech was, like Cole Palmer is etc etc so to see the contempt after a bad season (he was far from the only one) shows how fickle football really is. Fully expect him to be much better this season but Maatsen is maybe more profitable as of now and doesn’t seem keen on staying so whats the issue?

I would say a deal be it a loan with a £31.5m obligation and sell on fee or straight up £31.5m is outstanding for us. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

So if he doesn’t sign an extension but refuses to leave then what? We freeze him out for the rest of the year until he walks for free and fucks us out of tens of millions? Doesn’t seem like we’ve played this well unless he suddenly agrees a new deal.

From what I’ve seen so far, I’d keep Conor, said it before that he’s improved from where he was, what’s wrong with that? We seem to give others patience? You can look back through my posts where I lambast him during the Tuchel stint etc as well, so I haven’t always had this stance. Every good team needs their squad members and who is to say he wouldn’t be content? Why are people so readily willing to take £45m? If it was us, we’d be quoted £70m+ 

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Cucurella was the best thing since sliced bread when we signed him

said no one ever that I recall

I threw a strop when we bought him, especially for £118m! (salary plus transfer fee)

I had a history too

I said NO when we were linked to him when he was in La Liga ate Batca and then Getafe

If you take CuCu's fee, and add in what we got for Hall and could well get for Maatsen

that's £130m!

enough to buy Davies or Mendes (by FAR the 2 best LBs on the planet atm) and likely have 40m or 50m quid left over

🤬

Edited by Vesper

I like Conor,but...

Isn't really that flexible positionally,isn't that great at one position,has 2 years left and unlikely to be in our longterm plans.

He's good enough to be in our squad for this season,but see him being buried in our squad in the next year or so by which time we probably aren't gonna get as much as we can get for him now.

Wouldn't want to give anything nice to Spurs,but if we do and he has a decent career with them like i expect he would,doesnt mean it would be a mistake to have sold him.we should always buy,keep or sell players for what they can offer us.

Just now, DH1988 said:

From what I’ve seen so far, I’d keep Conor, said it before that he’s improved from where he was, what’s wrong with that? We seem to give others patience? You can look back through my posts where I lambast him during the Tuchel stint etc as well, so I haven’t always had this stance. Every good team needs their squad members and who is to say he wouldn’t be content? Why are people so readily willing to take £45m? If it was us, we’d be quoted £70m+ 

I would tend to agree re keeping him, he offers a different profile in midfield.

Our central midfield options are probably more defensively minded now with guys like Lavia, Caicedo, Ugochukwu - who yes they aren’t just defensive midfielders but they aren’t hugely creative or offensively minded.

Enzo is carrying that burden, having Connor around who can kind of do that role but with less quality, it makes sense. 

Just now, Vesper said:

said no one ever that I recall

I threw a strop when we bought him, especially for £118m! (salary plus transfer fee)

I had a history too

I said NO when we were linked to him when he was in La Liga ate Batca and then Getafe

If you take CuCu's fee, and add in what we got for Hall and could well get for Maatsen

that's £130m!

enough to buy Davies or Mendes (by FAR the 2 best LBs on the planet atm) and likely have 40m or perhaps more quid left over

🤬

Yes as you keep mentioning but there was a lot of people very excited by his signing. A lot of people. And tbf, you could see why as a back up/competition, it made sense. Just the fee that was excessive but thats been us under Boehly since day 1. 

To completely give up on him after 12 months is crazy. He is a decent enough player but never a £60 odd million player. But Caicedo was never a £115m player - yet we paid it. Enzo was never a £105m player - yet we paid it. Mudryk was never a £70 odd m player - again we paid it.  

There is a pattern here, we sign players for vastly OTT fees. That doesn’t help them necessarily and it doesn’t help us if they underperform but thats what happens when you throw money at everything.