Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

8 minutes ago, mkh said:

yes, Meslier is the most likely who is closest to the top

especially as the top 2 have HUGE release clauses

120m euros for Oblak (I am sure that will not be held up as do or die though)

and 100m euros for Giorgi Mamardashvili

😞

d4e576b9133d1d0b620e490bafa0e555.pngmamardashvili-1tv.jpg

9 minutes ago, DDA said:

When it comes to GKs why not use the lad we got from America?

I am not sure IF Slonina is ready at his age 

Date of birth    May 15, 2004 (age 18)

maybe he is, we need to find out before the summer

as what we have now is NOT acceptable

Kepa is oki (but so expensive) as a backup

and Mendy was a one season wonder and is now on the wrong side of 30 anyway and is not likely going to improve IMHO

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

for GKer

I have a shortness issue with David Raya

he is only 1.82m or 1.83m depending on when and where you look

that worries me

I hope in 3, 4 years Slonina is our number one

but no guarantees on that so.........

here are my 40 top keepers, in some semblance of order

Raya is on the list, just not that high

Jan Oblak  
Giorgi Mamardashvili
Illan Meslier 
Mike Maignan
Dominik Livakovic
Odysseas Vlachodimos
Emiliano Martínez
Matvey Safonov
Dean Henderson
Diogo Costa

Robert Sánchez 
David Raya   
Nick Pope  
Gregor Kobel
Unai Simón  
Alban Lafont  
Juan Musso 
Ugurcan Cakir 
André Onana  
Anatoliy Trubin
Justin Bijlow 
Maarten Vandevoordt
Alex Meret  
Guglielmo Vicario 
Alexander Nübel  
Predrag Rajković 
Marco Carnesecchi
Gavin Bazunu
Daniil Khudyakov
Bento  
Sam Johnstone  
Cleiton  
Etienne Green  
Lucas Chevalier 
Thomas Strakosha  
Brenno   
Andriy Lunin  
Yann Sommer
Mattia Perin
Gonçalo Ribeiro (17yo)

Raya is an absolute no for me. Not just bc he is tiny 

he is a yolo goalkeeper like Willy caballero. Capable of wc saves and of brutal errors every week. 
i remember some CC games from him where he was literally flying horizontally across the box all game and missed the ball every other time . He may have matured but he still has that madness inside him

plus he is a highly dependent on his volatile confidence just like Kepa. You don’t want that, it strikes panic into every defence. Kepa is a nice guy but you want an arrogant selfish obnoxious mf like Neuer or Courtois whose belief in themselves can not be shaken even by the most comical errors. Both left brutal nutmegs and own goals swiftly behind them to become the absolute best shortly later. When Kepa or Raya make a mistake it propels them into a vicious circle of self doubt, self destruction and even more howlers. 

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

Raya is an absolute no for me. Not just bc he is tiny 

he is a yolo goalkeeper like Willy caballero. Capable of wc saves and of brutal errors every week. 
i remember some CC games from him where he was literally flying horizontally across the box all game and missed the ball every other time . He may have matured but he still has that madness inside him

plus he is a highly dependent on his volatile confidence just like Kepa. You don’t want that, it strikes panic into every defence. Kepa is a nice guy but you want an arrogant selfish obnoxious mf like Neuer or Courtois whose belief in themselves can not be shaken even by the most comical errors. Both left brutal nutmegs and own goals swiftly behind them to become the absolute best shortly later. When Kepa or Raya make a mistake it propels them into a vicious circle of self doubt, self destruction and even more howlers. 

better stated than I did!

agree 100 per cent

Oblak has that same killer mentality

so does Ederson and ter Stegen and Alisson and Donnarumma

I see it in Mamardashvili and Meslier too

I so hope Slonina has it

CIES Football Observatory

n°407 - 01/02/2023

Weekly Post

Performance

Global rankings of best “take on” players

Issue 407 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post presents the players who have performed best in the area of take on over the past year on the basis of an exclusive index based on 100 taking into account the frequency of successful dribbles and crosses, playing time, as well as the sporting level of matches played. Ousmane Dembélé (Barcelona) tops the list among attacking players and João Cancelo (Bayern München) among defending ones.

Vinícius Júnior and Kevin De Bruyne round up the podium for offensive players. Seventh overall, Kylian Mbappé is the highest-ranked footballer among those who played primarily in the centre of the attack. Three players who have not yet turned 20 appear in the top 100: Jude Bellingham, Ângelo Gabriel (Santos FC) and Jamal Musiala. The evergreen Croatian Luka Modrić is the oldest player on the list, ahead of Salernitana’s Antonio Candreva.

Among defensive players, João Cancelo outranks Trent Alexander-Arnold and Javi Galan (Celta Vigo). Four players aged 23 or under are in the top ten: Pedro Porro (fourth), Reece James (eighth), Nuno Tavares (ninth) and Alphonso Davies (tenth). The French Malo Gusto and Quentin Merlin are the youngest footballers in the top 100, while Jesús Navas and the fresh América Mineiro recruit Nino Paraíba are the oldest.

For more information on the different areas of play considered by the CIES Football Observatory for the analysis of players’ technical performance (InStat/Hudl data), please refer to this Monthly Report .

Take on index ranking (01/02/2023)

At least 1,000 domestic league minutes during last 365 days. Data: InStat/Hudl.

a90f5c481ea8990404372f8d77ece446.png

snip

Edited by Vesper

The most underrated signing of the window was…

Miller: I’m going to get ahead of the game here and say Yasin Ayari, the 19-year-old Swedish midfielder signed by Brighton. Have I seen him play? No, obviously not, but I can only assume he’s going to be brilliant in a year or so. Beyond that, Weston McKennie to Leeds United could be handy and Bournemouth’s new forward Antoine Semenyo seems lively.

Anka: It’ll take until next season, but Malo Gusto is going to be one of the best right-backs in the Premier League and it is absurd Chelsea will be able to field either him or Reece James. English clubs should keep shopping at Lyon.

Sheldon: Carlos Alcaraz has caught my attention at Southampton. The midfielder, who cost an initial £12.3m, impressed on his debut against Everton. He is unlikely to get a lot of attention given their perilous position in the league, but his first outings suggest they have unearthed a very competent player at a relatively low price.

Alexander: Brighton have welcomed an 18-year-old Argentinian wonderkid, Facundo Buonanotte, so he’s bound to be attracting eager bids of £100m within a couple of years. But in the short term, Gustavo Scarpa at Forest looks like one to watch. Five shots and a chance created in his first 104 minutes of Premier League football = fun.

Describe this transfer window in a sentence…

Miller: If Brighton want to sell you a player, they will sell you that player, but if Brighton do not want to sell you a player, pack up your things and head home.

Anka: The Premier League is once again making payments using metal credits while the rest of Europe is scrambling with pocket change out of their savings jar.

Sheldon: Chelsea spending a fortune, handing out contracts that run into the 2030s and taking advantage of UEFA’s financial fair play rules regarding amortisation.

https://theathletic.com/4145730/2023/02/01/premier-league-million-january-transfer/

If January is supposed to be the month of frugality and financial restraint, nobody’s told the Premier League clubs.

On and on went the spending in this latest transfer window, as though what had been a record-breaking summer never ended.

The 2022-23 season has brought new levels of excess for English football’s top 20 clubs. After £1.9billion ($2.34bn) was collectively spent through last June, July, August and the first day of September, the opening month of the new year saw cheques written for another £815million. Deadline day alone saw deals struck for £275million.

The total spend of £2.7billion is a 47 per cent increase on the previous high of £1.86billion, for the 2018-19 season. Even as we grow increasingly numb to the soaring figures, they are no less extraordinary.

Just as the Premier League had never known a window like the summer of 2022, there was again a uniqueness to the business done in the last month. Some clubs held back, opting to keep their powder dry for the close-season, but the vast majority found reasons to buy in January.

Even allowing for Chelsea’s aggressive ambition — roughly a third of the month’s total spend came out of Stamford Bridge — the Premier League’s total gross outlay was £385million more than any other mid-season window and three times that of the same period last year. COVID-19 and the prudency it briefly enforced has begun to feel as distant a memory as the backpass rule being introduced.

0201_JanWindowSpend_Table-2.png

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

Warren Zaïre-Emery (16yo who is, from all I can see, a different planet level good MFer already)

Scored tonight for PSG. 

Mbappe missed 2 pens and went out injured in the first half. May miss Bayern. 

20 minutes ago, guddy69 said:

what went wrong these last 2 season

Huh?

2?

Last season was his best ever stats-wise in his career

he was our POTY

11 EPL goals, 13 overall and 16 assists, 10 in the EPL

Chelsea Player of the Year: 2020–21, 2021–22

95eb88caafa32528f7d029f091a73d91.png

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Didn't know Ziyech has so strong fan base. They are spamming every Chelsea post about Enzo on social media with #freeziyech

Morocco fans are super hardcore as we saw at the World Cup. And there are a LOT of Moroccan’s in Paris. 

They were desperate to see their hero Ziyech at PSG.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Morocco fans are super hardcore as we saw at the World Cup. And there are a LOT of Moroccan’s in Paris. 

Yeah, but it sounds like Chelsea kidnapped him and is holding him in the basement 😂

53 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Scored tonight for PSG. 

Mbappe missed 2 pens and went out injured in the first half. May miss Bayern. 

The only MFers (not counting AMFs)

on the planet I would take right now over Warren Zaïre-Emery, even at only 16yo

are only 5 in number

(we have one now in Enzo)

and also

Bellingham

Tchou

and the two Barca lads (who kinda are actually AMFs but I will call the CMFs)

Pedri and Gavi

and I am NOT sure on the 2 Barca lads, Zaïre-Emery may well end up better, time will tell on them (and Emery of course)

I am nor joking on how much I rate him, even at 16yo

Valverde is close btw (but sort of an AMF/winger too), and Kimmich is 28 in a few days, so nope, not enough peak years left in him

Bruno Guimarães or Barella? NOPE, Emery all the way

Foden is NOT a MFer (T-Markt finally removed Saka as a MFer, now they need to do the same with Foden) 

Saka is the best left footed winger not named Messi on the planet IMHO, I would take Saka over Salah now, and over Foden

after those listed, the drop off is huge atm

that is it

Edited by Vesper

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

If PSG were that desperate for him they should have bought him, they would have sent him back at the end of the season if they had loaned him