Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Spot on here. Caicedo is essentially a poor man’s Kante. Covers a lot of ground, breaks up play, presses well. But he’s not classy on the ball and isn’t a string puller. He’s not going to keep the team ticking over and breaking lines with his passing. 

Caicedo is the type of midfielder we should eventually target in addition to Enzo in the next couple of windows once Kante and Jorginho leave. He’s the type you pair with Enzo in a midfield 2. 

I still stand by what I'm saying though..... Caicedo would be a great addition, rather than stay watching J5, Mount and whoever the fuck else starts in our dogshit midfield....

I honestly can't express how much of a gut wrenching feeling I am suffering from now that Enzo isn't coming..... I was literally pinning all our hopes of an uprising on this signing..... he is exactly what we needed to change the identity of our football... he was going to be the new dynamic, majestically passing heartbeat we have been desperately after for soo long. 

Fuck sake man.

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

I still stand by what I'm saying though..... Caicedo would be a great addition, rather than stay watching J5, Mount and whoever the fuck else starts in our dogshit midfield....

I honestly can't express how much of a gut wrenching feeling I am suffering from now that Enzo isn't coming..... I was literally pinning all our hopes of an uprising on this signing..... he is exactly what we needed to change the identity of our football... he was going to be the new dynamic, majestically passing heartbeat we have been desperately after for soo long. 

Fuck sake man.

It’s going to be Jorginho + Caicedo/Kovacic/Kante/Zakaria/Ruben. He adds onto the list of advanced ball winners/runners. 

Enzo is the perfect profile of player we desperately need and we are low balling and likely walking away. Feel sick tbh. 

4 minutes ago, DDA said:

Fuck sake man.

We will get Sangare and Alvarez.

The big, big problem is we are NOT getting Champions League football next season...

That is why it was soo fucking vitally important we got somebody like Enzo in before that becomes the inevitable reality.

Now when the season ends, we have no chance of getting such a talent once the other big boys who do have CL come wading in for his signature.

That's why this is beyond embarrassing for Todd.B. what the fuck is he thinking??? He doesn't understand that we look like an absolute shithow right now.... so we just have to overpay to stay relevant.

Edited by DDA

46 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

Hope so, this idiot is an absolute joke of a businessman. Basically killed everything Roman had done in all these years. Wonder how Roman feels watching this trash, probably angry and disappointed.

this is gaslighting

Roman left the club in a long term mess as well

years of shit decisions and also externalities (like his relationship with Putin getting him visa blocked by the home office and thus the new stadium was pulled) were already coming home to roost

1 hour ago, Superblue said:

I think what's important from that Ornstein video is that he is basically suggesting we have targets such as Enzo and if we can make a deal in January we will, and if we can't then we'll potentially return in the summer. 

I really hope this is the case and we don't end up buying for the sake of it this window. Whilst there will be mistakes and a learning and building process, I like a lot of what the new ownership are trying to put in place with regards to a football structure at the club with a more modern approach to scouting and recruitment. It's why I do believe with time, they could get something going here which is actually sustainable and doesn't require an owner to fund us year on year.

But if we blink and start bringing in players who are just going to add to the current problem (an example in my head would be Edson Alvarez) I'll be far from impressed.

But we already have started bringing in players that are adding to problems.

KK is here on a long contract and is on incredibly high wages (just found out about this). Cucurella is never going to be starting 11 material for a competitive team. Sterling also seems to be progressing towards a bust.

I get your point about owners having to scrutinize each incoming and paying only fair price. But that doesn't seem to be what they are doing based on evidence from the last window.

I've seen them go after highly rated targets like DeLigt only to get beaten to it by someone else. Similar to this one, we were all over the news because we were seemingly close to sealing the deal.

Like I said earlier on this thread, if they fail to secure this move after all the press hype, it will feel like they are doing this only to feed the hype machine and not really accomplish anything.

99da6b5970aa4f3fec32d4655b2f7400.png

Chaotic Chelsea must call a halt to scattergun strategy

Matt Law

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chaotic-Chelsea-must-call-a-halt-to-scattergun-strategy-42263102.html

At the start of September, Thomas Tuchel was introduced to Chelsea’s final signing of the summer transfer window. But for a split second, the club’s former head coach could not immediately put a name to the face.

Fortunately, Tuchel was able to identify Denis Zakaria quickly enough that the moment did not become embarrassing, but it served to underline the chaotic nature of Chelsea’s business. There is a certain irony in the fact that Tuchel was sacked a few days after Zakaria’s arrival, which he had no knowledge of until their introduction, for not being collaborative enough for the liking of Chelsea’s Todd Boehly-Clearlake Capital ownership.

Tuchel had been very much part of the rest of Chelsea’s business, identifying Raheem Sterling as his top target and helping the club to sign Carney Chukwuemeka by speaking personally to the midfielder, even though there was little prospect of the teen making an immediate impact in his team.

Zakaria, however, was signed on loan for the season with no input from Tuchel and it was not until November that the Switzerland international made his Chelsea debut, long after Tuchel had been replaced by Graham Potter.

Having previously only started in the Champions League and the Carabao Cup, Zakaria made his first Premier League appearances in Chelsea’s last two games.

As Chelsea prepare to welcome Manchester City tonight, it is clear that the chaos of the summer needs to be replaced by clear thinking if the Potter project is to prove successful.

The approach to the January window already appears to be somewhat scattergun, with a move for Monaco’s 21-year-old defender Benoit Badiashile quickly being arranged, which places a question mark against the long-term interest in Josko Gvardiol, over whom Chelsea held talks during the summer and since.

There is also the issue of what it means for the future of Levi Colwill, who is two years younger than Badiashile and is excelling on loan at Brighton, whom Chelsea trail by two points despite them taking Potter, his backroom staff, recruitment guru Paul Winstanley and wing-back Marc Cucurella from the club.

Boehly and his co-controlling partner Behdad Eghbali have spent time making inroads into the Jude Bellingham camp, and have been planning to take part in what promises to be a summer auction for the midfielder. Strong interest has also been retained in West Ham’s Declan Rice, a player Potter is known to admire, and yet Chelsea have now offered to pay more than £100m (€113.7m) for Enzo Fernandez, who enjoyed an excellent World Cup with Argentina but has made only 14 league appearances for Benfica.

At least there appears to be a succession plan of sorts for midfielders N’Golo Kante and Jorginho, who remain in talks over signing new contracts but are now both aged over 30 and arguably past their peaks.

Chelsea confirmed the final appointment of their new recruitment team, Christopher Vivell as technical director, just before Christmas and it is yet to be made clear how decisions are being arrived at.

Indeed, it is Boehly who is believed to have scheduled talks with Shakhtar Donetsk over winger Mykhailo Mudryk, who has agreed personal terms with Arsenal.

A deal has already been agreed for forward Christopher Nkunku to join in the summer, which begs the question over whether enough thought has gone into how Potter would be expected to incorporate the Frenchman, Sterling, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Kai Havertz and Mudryk, were he to join, into his plans.

Arsenal’s rise to the top of the league has given Chelsea food for thought over what can be achieved by sticking by a coach they believe in and assembling a talented young squad free of egos.

City, Liverpool and Arsenal have also provided examples of why sales will be just as important as new signings if Chelsea are to be successful. Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Mikel Arteta were all allowed to cull their squads, taking hits on players the club had previously invested heavily in.

Crucially, they were also given plenty of time and patience for their overhauls to be completed. Guardiola ended his first season in charge of City without a trophy and having completed his worst-ever run, failing to win in six games. Liverpool finished Klopp’s first season in charge in eighth place and did not win the league until he had been at the club almost five years. Arteta survived one of Arsenal’s worst-ever starts to a season and failure to qualify for the Champions League.

Any realistic hope of Chelsea finishing in the top four this season might be extinguished by City tonight, but it will take rational thinking, rather than chaos and desperation, to put them back on the same path as their opponents.

I'm a big Boehly skeptic - I don't think all the PR in the world will be able to hide his track record and the chaotic energy he has brought with him to two windows now. All this talk about 'data driven' signings but I have very little hope that this supergroup boardroom can build a squad.

Even with Vivell and Stewart joining, this chaotic market energy has remained. The Enzo deal could still get done but did they really not read the situation that Benfica have negotiating power even though there is a release clause? The longer this drags on, Benfica will only lock into their release clause stance.

Edited by Strike

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

99da6b5970aa4f3fec32d4655b2f7400.png

Chaotic Chelsea must call a halt to scattergun strategy

Matt Law

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chaotic-Chelsea-must-call-a-halt-to-scattergun-strategy-42263102.html

At the start of September, Thomas Tuchel was introduced to Chelsea’s final signing of the summer transfer window. But for a split second, the club’s former head coach could not immediately put a name to the face.

Fortunately, Tuchel was able to identify Denis Zakaria quickly enough that the moment did not become embarrassing, but it served to underline the chaotic nature of Chelsea’s business. There is a certain irony in the fact that Tuchel was sacked a few days after Zakaria’s arrival, which he had no knowledge of until their introduction, for not being collaborative enough for the liking of Chelsea’s Todd Boehly-Clearlake Capital ownership.

Tuchel had been very much part of the rest of Chelsea’s business, identifying Raheem Sterling as his top target and helping the club to sign Carney Chukwuemeka by speaking personally to the midfielder, even though there was little prospect of the teen making an immediate impact in his team.

Zakaria, however, was signed on loan for the season with no input from Tuchel and it was not until November that the Switzerland international made his Chelsea debut, long after Tuchel had been replaced by Graham Potter.

Having previously only started in the Champions League and the Carabao Cup, Zakaria made his first Premier League appearances in Chelsea’s last two games.

As Chelsea prepare to welcome Manchester City tonight, it is clear that the chaos of the summer needs to be replaced by clear thinking if the Potter project is to prove successful.

The approach to the January window already appears to be somewhat scattergun, with a move for Monaco’s 21-year-old defender Benoit Badiashile quickly being arranged, which places a question mark against the long-term interest in Josko Gvardiol, over whom Chelsea held talks during the summer and since.

There is also the issue of what it means for the future of Levi Colwill, who is two years younger than Badiashile and is excelling on loan at Brighton, whom Chelsea trail by two points despite them taking Potter, his backroom staff, recruitment guru Paul Winstanley and wing-back Marc Cucurella from the club.

Boehly and his co-controlling partner Behdad Eghbali have spent time making inroads into the Jude Bellingham camp, and have been planning to take part in what promises to be a summer auction for the midfielder. Strong interest has also been retained in West Ham’s Declan Rice, a player Potter is known to admire, and yet Chelsea have now offered to pay more than £100m (€113.7m) for Enzo Fernandez, who enjoyed an excellent World Cup with Argentina but has made only 14 league appearances for Benfica.

At least there appears to be a succession plan of sorts for midfielders N’Golo Kante and Jorginho, who remain in talks over signing new contracts but are now both aged over 30 and arguably past their peaks.

Chelsea confirmed the final appointment of their new recruitment team, Christopher Vivell as technical director, just before Christmas and it is yet to be made clear how decisions are being arrived at.

Indeed, it is Boehly who is believed to have scheduled talks with Shakhtar Donetsk over winger Mykhailo Mudryk, who has agreed personal terms with Arsenal.

A deal has already been agreed for forward Christopher Nkunku to join in the summer, which begs the question over whether enough thought has gone into how Potter would be expected to incorporate the Frenchman, Sterling, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Kai Havertz and Mudryk, were he to join, into his plans.

Arsenal’s rise to the top of the league has given Chelsea food for thought over what can be achieved by sticking by a coach they believe in and assembling a talented young squad free of egos.

City, Liverpool and Arsenal have also provided examples of why sales will be just as important as new signings if Chelsea are to be successful. Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp and Mikel Arteta were all allowed to cull their squads, taking hits on players the club had previously invested heavily in.

Crucially, they were also given plenty of time and patience for their overhauls to be completed. Guardiola ended his first season in charge of City without a trophy and having completed his worst-ever run, failing to win in six games. Liverpool finished Klopp’s first season in charge in eighth place and did not win the league until he had been at the club almost five years. Arteta survived one of Arsenal’s worst-ever starts to a season and failure to qualify for the Champions League.

Any realistic hope of Chelsea finishing in the top four this season might be extinguished by City tonight, but it will take rational thinking, rather than chaos and desperation, to put them back on the same path as their opponents.

I agree with Matt Law about the need for calm over chaos, but jeez, he's complaining about us potentially overpaying for Enzo, and not making a move for Rice. Come on.

Edited by Blue Armour

5 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

I agree Matt Law about the need for calm over chaos, but jeez, he's complaining about us potentially overpaying for Enzo, and not making a move for Rice. Come on.

English boomer thinking. Not surprised at all.

It is still a disaster waiting to happen - Declan Rice signed for 80-100m at the end of all this.

15 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

I agree Matt Law about the need for calm over chaos, but jeez, he's complaining about us potentially overpaying for Enzo, and not making a move for Rice. Come on.

that is a poor framing of what he wrote

he never complains about not making a move for Rice, and he is only saying (about the cost of Enzo) it is surprising given our strong historical interest in Rice