Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

IF we get Enzo, that surely closes the door on Bellingham and also on any effort to try and pull de Jong from Barca

then it is down, IMHO, to buying either Rice or Caicedo, two entirely different types of players

Caicedo, (along with the crazy hard to pull Barella), are the two closest things atm to Kante

Rice is a trad DMF cruncher, and he seems to have dropped off, as West Ham have went to shit

ffa8a95d78047d89fbd5db97e664575d.png

35 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Chelsea to discuss personal terms with Enzo Fernandez after agreeing to pay huge release clause for Argentina star

https://www.lfclive.net/news/Chelsea-to-discuss-personal-terms-with-Enzo-Fernandez-after-agreeing-to-pay-huge-release-clause-for-Argentina-star-1163862

Chelsea will enter personal talks with Enzo Fernandez after agreeing to pay Benfica's huge release clause in their bid to sign him in January. Chelsea however appear to have blown their rivals out of the water, agreeing to pay the midfielder's €120million release clause. According to The Sun, Chelsea have met with both Benfica president Rui Costa and super-agent Jorge Mendes, with the Blues confirming they will have no issue in meeting that huge release clause. It now leaves Chelsea free to open talks with the player and his representatives as they seek to agree personal terms.

We aren't getting him.

Was to good to be true.

1 hour ago, TheHulk said:

We aren't getting him.

Was to good to be true.

that is why we are offering over the release clause, so we can stagger it out

and that tweeter name drops Romano all the time and when you go look, Romano never has said exactly what that tweeter claims he said

Edited by Vesper

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2012/7/30/3204610/on-Chelsea-fc-ffp-and-amortization-of-transfer-fees

Today we're going to look specifically at transfer fees and how they'll be accounted for under FFP. The rule as designed by UEFA allows clubs 2 alternatives in how to report transfer fees. The first method would be to simply record all transfer fees as expenses, which is the easiest way to report figures. When you buy a player, you would simply record the fee as a 1 time expense. When you sell a player, the fee would be a 1 time credit. Loss or profit would become a simple matter of subtracting sales from purchases and looking at the total. After the jump I've laid out what Chelsea's first 3 year monitoring period would look like using that specific method.

Two things to note here. First, all figures displayed are in millions and have been rounded. Second, I don't have access to the specifics of all sales and purchases, so these figures reflect the most educated estimates we have. The data may be off by a few million pounds in either direction, but overall you get a pretty good idea of where we stand by looking at the chart below.

sCDGEIJ.png

The expensing method has it's good and bad points, but my guess is that basically nobody will show their accounting using this method. Writing off transfer fees as a 1 time expense creates wild variances in profit and loss. While this method would allow for quick fixes to large losses by selling players, it would also make it very difficult to consistently break even. Clubs using this method would likely show seasons of large profit and large loss at varying points of their accounting, and that would seem to make consistent compliance with FFP far more difficult. Because of that fact, I think it's safe to assume that Chelsea and every other club out there will take the other option that UEFA is offering, amortizing transfer costs*.

*Clubs can't swap between methods from 1 season to the next, they have to report using the same methods every season.

By amortizing transfer fees, UEFA is allowing clubs to spread the cost of the purchase over the life of the contract. As a simple example, a player purchased for £10 million and signed to a 5 year deal would have his transfer fee spread out over the 5 years he was under contract. That's £2 million per year, nice and simple.

What happens if a player extends though? We'll use the above £10 million player as our example again. That player finishes the second year of his contract with the club, and the club and player reach an agreement that extends the contract for 2 more seasons. At that point we take the £6 million that has yet to be accounted for in the books ( £4 million has already been accounted for in years 1 and 2) and split that up over the 5 years the players is now contracted to the club. This player will now cost £1.2 million against FFP for the remainder of his contract. If he extends again, you'd simply repeat that process using whatever amount is yet to be accounted for.

Below you can find the chart of how Chelsea's transfer spending would look under the amortization method of FFP accounting. You'll note that both Ramires and David Luiz extended this season, and their transfer costs counted against the books this year have dropped accordingly.

1F6rXt5.png

That looks a lot better, no? Using the amortization method of accounting, there is basically no chance that Chelsea fail to comply during the initial accounting periods of FFP. I've used exactly the same figures for transfer fees, but simply broken them down over the life of the contract. Using the amortization method, Chelsea are showing about £163 million less that they've spent in transfer fees for the first accounting period. This brings up an interesting dilemma though, as how do we account for player sales using this method.

First, there are 2 types of player sales. Academy products don't have transfer fees to account for, so they are very easy to show. Simply take whatever you received for the player in question and add it to your income. Players signed prior to 2010 are being accounted using this method as well, although there likely won't be significant fees from those players going forward.

What if we sold a guy that counts against FFP though? What do you do with the portion of their transfer fee still to be accounted for? It's fairly simple actually, but it does take a little math. Let's use Yossi Benayoun in this example, as he's likely to be sold this summer anyway. Let's say we sell Yossi for £1 million. We had Yossi on the books for £2 million this season. We'd take that total, subtract the £1 million from the sale, and Yossi would cost £1 million against the books this season.

So what if the player we sell is not in the last year of their deal? For this example we'll look at Fernando Torres. Torres through his first season and a half has seen £13.5 million go against the books. He's got 4 years and £36.5 million left to account for. Let's say we manged to sell Torres for £20 million tomorrow. How would we account for that? Well, we'd take all of the £36.5 million still owed to Torres, subtract the £20 million we just got for him, and record the £16.5 million as a 1 time loss for the 2012/13 season. Torres would never again count against the FFP books, we'd take the 1 time hit and move on.

This math would work for profits as well. If we take the same player (Torres) and sell him for the same £50 million we initially paid for him, the accounting works the same. We'd take the £36.5 million still needing to be accounted for on the books, subtract the £50 million we just sold the player for, and put the resulting £13.5 million in profit towards 2012/13. It's a 1 time profit, and Torres would disappear from the books entirely after the 2012/13 season.

This method of accounting for player sales helps to highlight the genius of what Chelsea are currently doing. We've spent a lot of money thus far this summer, no question about it. But using a player for 4-5 seasons and then selling him at a high point of his value is going to cut out a massive portion of our amortized transfer spending. Buying assets with resale value will literally allow Chelsea to continue spending on the transfer market in the future, buying guys like Luka Modric, Hulk, and Cavani just won't. Selling just 1 or 2 players for £15 million apiece can fund a pretty massive spending spree in the short term, as the sale of Yuri Zhirkov is enough to offset this season's amortized hit of every single player we've bought in the last 2 transfer windows combined. Buying young and selling off the surplus later will help Chelsea remain compliant, as it's actually a sustainable model.

Edited by Vesper

Chelsea new boy wants to be next Didier Drogba as Graham Potter adds to incredible pool

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1714777/Chelsea-transfer-news-next-Didier-Drogba-Graham-Potter

Chelsea’s new signing David Datro Fofana has already stated his admiration for Blues icon Didier Drogba and could become part of Graham Potter’s youth revolution amid a flurry of young talent recently joining the club. The Ivory Coast striker will move to Chelsea in January from Norwegian side Molde for an £8million fee, following a knee injury that ruled Armando Broja out for the season.

The 20-year-old previously revealed that he idolised Drogba growing up, and will be proud to have the chance to follow in his footsteps. "Chelsea have been my favourite club since I was little,” Fofana told Norwegian outlet TV2. “Drogba played there, so they have always been my club. So it’s my dream.”

The youngster is one of several irons Chelsea have had in the fire since co-owner and acting sporting director Todd Boehly joined the club in terms of the transfer market. Outside of the big-money signings of Raheem Sterling, Marc Cucurella, Wesley Fofana and Kalidou Koulibaly, a young core may be building and shows a lot of promise for the future.

Chelsea in advanced talks to sign David Datro Fofana from Molde - The  Athletic

Fofana joins Broja as the young striker options at the club, even though the Albanian’s ACL injury has ruled him out for the remainder of the season. Potter has already ousted Edouard Mendy in favour of Kepa Arrizabalaga as the Blues’ number one, as the ex-Brighton coach wants his goalkeeper to be more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Though Potter only joined after the summer transfer window as he replaced the outgoing Thomas Tuchel, he will be impressed with the young core of defensive talent at the club. With Reece James he has a right-back that his side can build around for the next 10 years, and Fofana joined as one of the brightest centre-back talents in Europe.

Trevoh Chalobah started the last seven Premier League games in a row before the World Cup break at just 23, and the club will also have an eye on the progress that starlet Levi Colwill is making on loan at Brighton.

Chelsea moved to secure some of the midfielders within the league that have the most potential, as Carney Chukwuemeka and Omari Hutchinson joined from Aston Villa and Arsenal respectively and Blues fans will not have to wait long to see them regularly involved in the team, as both were on the bench for the 2-0 win over Bournemouth on Tuesday.

They could form an exciting midfield trio with Conor Gallagher in the future, who is fighting for his spot in the team after impressing on loan at Crystal Palace last season.

He earned a call-up to the senior England team under Gareth Southgate as proof that the future at Stamford Bridge could be very bright under Potter, who has a proven track record of developing young talent.

Edited by Vesper

5 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

How did they get him so cheap?

£50m (counting the add-ons) is not really 'cheap' IMHO

it seems a fair price

he is coming from the Dutch farmer league, home of the flops ofttimes

I rate him, but not sky high atm (could change)

he was wasn't really one of my 'must have if possible' wingers

Kylian Mbappé (pipe dream)
Rafael Leão
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia
Federico Chiesa (if fully recovers)
Ousmane Dembélé 
Moussa Diaby 
Leroy Sané

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

£50m (counting the add-ons) is not really 'cheap' IMHO

it seems a fair price

he is coming from the Dutch farmer league, home of the flops ofttimes

I rate him, but not sky high atm (could change)

he was wasn't really one of my 'must have if possible' wingers

Kylian Mbappé (pipe dream)
Rafael Leão
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia
Federico Chiesa (if fully recovers)
Ousmane Dembélé 
Moussa Diaby 
Leroy Sané

Every winger that you listed would cost more than 50 million...

I'll be very surprised if Diaby is still at Leverkusen next season, seems destined to play in the Premier League. 

It’s really impossible to determine where things actually are regarding Enzo at this point. Some fairly reliable journalists saying we are actively pursuing him and others saying we like him but haven’t moved yet. If we indeed do want him badly enough I would hope we don’t piss around in the wind trying to negotiate a lower and lower fee knowing that Benfica want the release clause or nothing. If he’s our #1 choice then pay the money.

I want Enzo more than anyone... easily my favourite midfielder at the moment but if it does prevent us from investing in other areas of the squad, is this a wise move. I just hope we don't breach FFP rules again too... you know they hold no bars when it comexto Chelsea.

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

I want Enzo more than anyone... easily my favourite midfielder at the moment but if it does prevent us from investing in other areas of the squad, is this a wise move. I just hope we don't breach FFP rules again too... you know they hold no bars when it comexto Chelsea.

Unless we think we have an immediate (next season) chance of winning the title then yes. We delayed fixing the pivot to sign Hazard.