Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, blahblahblah said:

CHO is the only one on that list who has never truly justified his talent. Rest all have and they have for a significant time, making massive names for themselves. 

Just to make a point, Puli was balling in FL's first season. His hammy during the fa cup final and while being through on goal can be taken as a turning point in his career, but in that covid year, he was lighting up the league. 

As for Kai, Werner and ziyech, we are using the 4 months with FL as saying they were not what we thought they were, but a season before Werner had scored 30 goals or so, ziyech was balling with ajax and Kai had 2 20 goal seasons with Leverkusen. 

I think the main objective for TT would have been to find a system to get the best out of them. And that's why i raise the point of him failing to integrate these players. 

Fine, even if you want to argue that they are not as good as we thought, but replacing them with auba and gordon. That has GOT to be mental and criminal man. That is what really makes it insane. 

I would love to be proven wrong. I will be happy to be proven wrong and be ridiculed (even more) on here with being called a troll and what not. But i don't see it happening. Hence my take on TT. 

I have to disagree with Pulisic. He had a period post covid lockdown where he was superb, easily our best player and arguably the biggest factor in the team to push us to top 4. But he's been here for over 3 years now across two managers and that 8-10 game period is the only sustained bit of form he has managed to hold up. At present, it can't be seen as anything more than a run of form or hot streak as opposed to that is his actual level. Plenty of players have had similar periods in their career, not just at Chelsea and then petered back down to a level or two below that and I can't help but feel that Pulisic might fall into that category. This is someone who didn't really put up that impressive numbers in the Bundesliga which it seems most players do these days (and you'd assume he'd thrive in that environment where far more teams play a higher line and more open style of football than you get over here). The number of muscular injuries he suffered earlier on may have had an impact too as he looks nowhere near as explosive anymore and can be bullied far too easily off the ball now.

I don't think Tuchel can be completely absolved of blame because he does have to try and find a way to make it work and there does have to be question marks over the players we're looking to bring in. Ultimately Tuchel will fall on his sword if one or two come in and aren't a success, in a similar way that he must take responsibility for Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucurella if they don't work out.

But I do believe also that the players we've bought aren't what we thought they would be and that goes far beyond this crop of attackers. Our signings over the last decade or so have been incredibly hit and miss and I think bigger question marks need to be asked of the scouting and recruitment at the club which has had a far longer period across multiple managers of shitting the bed. I read a report the other day that suggested the new ownership were astounded at how little data is used and stored at the club under the previous regime, and that Tuchel has been using an outside source himself for data analysis. I'll always be eternally grateful to Roman who took this club places I thought I'd never see it reach, but for a while it had felt that the club had run stale and not looking to evolve, we were just going back to a well which had been kind to us for a long time but the water had long dried up. If the above is true, you have to question the analytics being driven on some of these signings we've made. It feels like we've just gone for the most part with the current flavour of the month at the time with little thought of how they might excel in our club, our system, our league.

Werner is a perfect case in point. I was really stoked about him joining because you just look at the simple stats of his goal scoring and watch a couple of YouTube videos and think this guy is going to bang goals for a team that lacks them. But it didn't take long to unravel with him and when you watch a few more videos of his all round game in the Bundesliga you realise how technically limited he is if he doesn't get the space and high lines he was afforded in Germany. Data analytics is there for a reason and its now a crucial part of many teams scouting and recruitment processes. With Werner I'm sure it would have identified these potential issues with being able to replicate what he's achieved in Germany. On reflection I struggle to believe that we 'beat' Liverpool for him at the time. I think there was interest from Liverpool but ultimately they didn't pursue it, and ended up signing Jota for not dissimilar money that summer. There has been plenty of rumours doing the rounds of players Klopp has wanted, and being talked around to a different player from the scouting and data departments at Liverpool and if this is indeed true, then you have to believe that Werner is another case of this.

35 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I have to disagree with Pulisic. He had a period post covid lockdown where he was superb, easily our best player and arguably the biggest factor in the team to push us to top 4. But he's been here for over 3 years now across two managers and that 8-10 game period is the only sustained bit of form he has managed to hold up. At present, it can't be seen as anything more than a run of form or hot streak as opposed to that is his actual level. Plenty of players have had similar periods in their career, not just at Chelsea and then petered back down to a level or two below that and I can't help but feel that Pulisic might fall into that category. This is someone who didn't really put up that impressive numbers in the Bundesliga which it seems most players do these days (and you'd assume he'd thrive in that environment where far more teams play a higher line and more open style of football than you get over here). The number of muscular injuries he suffered earlier on may have had an impact too as he looks nowhere near as explosive anymore and can be bullied far too easily off the ball now.

I don't think Tuchel can be completely absolved of blame because he does have to try and find a way to make it work and there does have to be question marks over the players we're looking to bring in. Ultimately Tuchel will fall on his sword if one or two come in and aren't a success, in a similar way that he must take responsibility for Sterling, Koulibaly and Cucurella if they don't work out.

But I do believe also that the players we've bought aren't what we thought they would be and that goes far beyond this crop of attackers. Our signings over the last decade or so have been incredibly hit and miss and I think bigger question marks need to be asked of the scouting and recruitment at the club which has had a far longer period across multiple managers of shitting the bed. I read a report the other day that suggested the new ownership were astounded at how little data is used and stored at the club under the previous regime, and that Tuchel has been using an outside source himself for data analysis. I'll always be eternally grateful to Roman who took this club places I thought I'd never see it reach, but for a while it had felt that the club had run stale and not looking to evolve, we were just going back to a well which had been kind to us for a long time but the water had long dried up. If the above is true, you have to question the analytics being driven on some of these signings we've made. It feels like we've just gone for the most part with the current flavour of the month at the time with little thought of how they might excel in our club, our system, our league.

Werner is a perfect case in point. I was really stoked about him joining because you just look at the simple stats of his goal scoring and watch a couple of YouTube videos and think this guy is going to bang goals for a team that lacks them. But it didn't take long to unravel with him and when you watch a few more videos of his all round game in the Bundesliga you realise how technically limited he is if he doesn't get the space and high lines he was afforded in Germany. Data analytics is there for a reason and its now a crucial part of many teams scouting and recruitment processes. With Werner I'm sure it would have identified these potential issues with being able to replicate what he's achieved in Germany. On reflection I struggle to believe that we 'beat' Liverpool for him at the time. I think there was interest from Liverpool but ultimately they didn't pursue it, and ended up signing Jota for not dissimilar money that summer. There has been plenty of rumours doing the rounds of players Klopp has wanted, and being talked around to a different player from the scouting and data departments at Liverpool and if this is indeed true, then you have to believe that Werner is another case of this.

Honestly a very well written and thought out post. 

Don't disagree with much. 

Look, our previous regime WAS a lot of hit and miss. We had a fair share of bakayokos, drinkwaters, baba rahmans, Barkleys etc. No doubt. But there were some transfer which looked wrong from the offset (bakayoko), where you could see his lack of technical ability being a hindrance in a very fast paced league like the PL. I don't think a lot of us (or the footballing world), ever thought that our list of attackers would not pan out in such a way. Werner was indeed very close to Liverpool before we came in. That was not a smoke screen. The hype Kai had was definitely not something which i make up. I feel Puli had the talent and did show it, but like you said, injuries were a massive deterrent. All in all, i feel, this was a talented (not perfect), but very talented group of players. Just an year ago, our attacking options were touted as one of our biggest strengths.

Also i worry far more right now with some of our rumored buys. Some of the players that we are rumored to be close to, should not even be in conversation for this club. 

Edited by blahblahblah

I just can’t get the potential price of Anthony Gordon out of my head. Every time the thought crosses my mind I just shake my head and think “my god…”

I think he’s got the attributes to be very useful in our team, but what an absolutely massive embarrassment it will be (for Tuchel and the club) if he is a bust. It will be a Kepa level situation.

1 hour ago, xPetrCechx said:

The big question is if he’s good enough.

Fofana will be good enough im pretty sure. Gordon unlikely , he’s the kinda guy you might give a chance to if he’s from your academy or a free agent. No one should be making him a marquee signing 

3 hours ago, DDA said:

At this moment in time and thinking about it, for quite some time before, yes, I do believe that all the players mentioned are not as good as the footballing World once thought they were. 

Lukaku was showing all the signs of being  a complete donkey at Man U.

Werner wasn't cutting it before TT came in and you could make an argument that his bucket full of missed chances were partially the reason we dropped points under Frank and led to his eventual sacking. 

Ziyech and Puli were both proving to be flash in the pan players under Frank.

CHO has not been the same since his injury. Facto.

So what about Sterling, 3 games in he seems to be suffering from the same thing. 

12 minutes ago, blahblahblah said:

Honestly a very well written and thought out post. 

Don't disagree with much. 

Look, our previous regime WAS a lot of hit and miss. We had a fair share of bakayokos, drinkwaters, baba rahmans, Barkleys etc. No doubt. But there were some transfer which looked wrong from the offset (bakayoko), where you could see his lack of technical ability being a hindrance in a very fast paced league like the PL. I don't think a lot of us (or the footballing world), ever thought that our list of attackers would not pan out in such a way. Werner was indeed very close to Liverpool before we came in. That was not a smoke screen. The hype Kai had was definitely not something which i make up. I feel Puli had the talent and did show it, but like you said, injuries were a massive deterrent. All in all, i feel, this was a talented (not perfect), but very talented group of players. Just an year ago, our attacking options were touted as one of our biggest strengths.

Also i worry far more right now with some of our rumored buys. Some of the players that we are rumored to be close to, should not even be in conversation for this club. 

The biggest problem is that you can have as much talent as you want in a team and all individually there are arguments for what some of the players can possibly be, but it feels there was no real plan in our recruitment and how these players might mesh together into a cohesive unit.

Ultimately this goes hand in hand with the flip-flop nature of managerial appointments we've had because it's not just a conveyor belt of managers, but there's been no plan seemingly with their appointments either. We'll see in the future, but I believe when its time for Klopp and Pep to go that Liverpool and City won't rip up what has been built there but look to bring in a manager with similar values, philosophies, etc in the hope that it'll sync well with the squad they are inheriting. For years now, we've had an imbalanced squad bought under a multitude of different managers with different styles and formations and our attack is no different in this regard. 

At the very least now having someone that has been here for longer than a cup of coffee and a bit more stroke around the place like Tuchel seems to currently have, we are starting to move players on who should have been moved on years ago. That's not a process that is going to just take this summer, and there's a good possibility some players like Barkley just sit on the last year of their contracts here but I believe by next summer we'll have largely rid ourselves of a bloated squad and streamlined it. 

I don't see all of these links happening before the window closes, and I don't think the club should panic. It's a much shortened period before the January window with the World Cup in December. There's plenty of time to revisit moves for Fofana and Gordon if the club still wish to pursue them, but we should definitely be standing our ground with regards to bids on these players rather than just accepting the inevitable and agreeing to the seller club demands because the window is closing. 

If Tuchel is genuinely getting the backing from the new ownership and being given an extension, he has to buy into a longer term plan of thinking and that may involve waiting for certain players and as a result having to make do with what he has currently. Liverpool did the same with Van Dijk, City didn't panic buy last summer when they couldn't get Kane. We have to start operating in the same way. As an example, IF Rice is the one the club and Tuchel want for the midfield then wait for him instead of deviating away and picking up someone inferior because they're available now. We've done that far too many times before, just as recently as Lukaku last summer, and it never ends well.

I actually quite like parts of Anthony Gordon's game and I do see the potential there whereby he could become a very good player in the future and with young, flair players like that it's sometimes difficult to assess their ceiling right now but he certainly has the mentality and work rate to go far. The problem is the price being quoted stops it being a buy where you're taking a chance on what he can become, and instead you're having to assess what he is right now and he isn't a £60m player currently. 

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The biggest problem is that you can have as much talent as you want in a team and all individually there are arguments for what some of the players can possibly be, but it feels there was no real plan in our recruitment and how these players might mesh together into a cohesive unit.

Ultimately this goes hand in hand with the flip-flop nature of managerial appointments we've had because it's not just a conveyor belt of managers, but there's been no plan seemingly with their appointments either. We'll see in the future, but I believe when its time for Klopp and Pep to go that Liverpool and City won't rip up what has been built there but look to bring in a manager with similar values, philosophies, etc in the hope that it'll sync well with the squad they are inheriting. For years now, we've had an imbalanced squad bought under a multitude of different managers with different styles and formations and our attack is no different in this regard. 

At the very least now having someone that has been here for longer than a cup of coffee and a bit more stroke around the place like Tuchel seems to currently have, we are starting to move players on who should have been moved on years ago. That's not a process that is going to just take this summer, and there's a good possibility some players like Barkley just sit on the last year of their contracts here but I believe by next summer we'll have largely rid ourselves of a bloated squad and streamlined it. 

I don't see all of these links happening before the window closes, and I don't think the club should panic. It's a much shortened period before the January window with the World Cup in December. There's plenty of time to revisit moves for Fofana and Gordon if the club still wish to pursue them, but we should definitely be standing our ground with regards to bids on these players rather than just accepting the inevitable and agreeing to the seller club demands because the window is closing. 

If Tuchel is genuinely getting the backing from the new ownership and being given an extension, he has to buy into a longer term plan of thinking and that may involve waiting for certain players and as a result having to make do with what he has currently. Liverpool did the same with Van Dijk, City didn't panic buy last summer when they couldn't get Kane. We have to start operating in the same way. As an example, IF Rice is the one the club and Tuchel want for the midfield then wait for him instead of deviating away and picking up someone inferior because they're available now. We've done that far too many times before, just as recently as Lukaku last summer, and it never ends well.

I actually quite like parts of Anthony Gordon's game and I do see the potential there whereby he could become a very good player in the future and with young, flair players like that it's sometimes difficult to assess their ceiling right now but he certainly has the mentality and work rate to go far. The problem is the price being quoted stops it being a buy where you're taking a chance on what he can become, and instead you're having to assess what he is right now and he isn't a £60m player currently. 

Isnt gordon like 19? 60m for a 19 year old comming from a side that just survived relegation, it's absolutely absurd!

Can we not hijack the Antony deal with some kind of Ziyech barter and get him for around 60mn pounds instead of Gordon.

Gordon is huge gamble even at 35-40mn (Let alone 60mn) which may or may not pay off. Antony is more experienced and more likely to be successful.

Edited by shrenshah

31 minutes ago, shrenshah said:

Can we not hijack the Antony deal with some kind of Ziyech barter and get him for around 60mn pounds instead of Gordon.

Gordon is huge gamble even at 35-40mn (Let alone 60mn) which may or may not pay off. Antony is more experienced and more likely to be successful.

Antony is going to be a massively expensive flop I think. He’s nowhere close to a €90m player. Ziyech was even better for Ajax than him and look how he turned out in the PL. It’s quite easy for a very solid player to look like a beast when you’re basically playing for the Bayern Munich of the Dutch league. 

All of their recent stars that have moved on to bigger clubs have either flopped or not come close to living up to their hype. Van de Beek, De Jong, De Ligt, Ziyech. All players who looked like superstars for Ajax but have been average after leaving. Or worse in DVB’s case. Antony will be no different.