Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I have read several times that the owners have two different transfer budgets. One for the senior team and one for the developmental players. They better buy a few more clubs to move these kids on. The U21 team can only be so big.

7 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Vinicius Junior 'signs new contract with Real Madrid until 2027 which includes €1bn release clause' | Daily Mail Online

I know the source is meh, but I've read for a number of weeks that he was going to sign a new contract, and he took Hazard's number recently. I imagine it's one of those three midfielders you mentioned.

I said Vini Jr for two reasons.

Number one. Both he and Mbappe only like to play LWer. They both dislike RW a lot, and neither likes to play CF either, so it's very hard to shoehorn them into the same lineup. Its the same issue Mbappe had at PSG with Neymar. If either Mbappe or Vini Jr was a RWer who prefered the right, and then you add in Håland there soon, you have a top 3 or so all-time (maybe best ever) front 3. But the double LWer conundrum prevents this. It is a shame actually, as I love all 3 players, unlike the last 'greatest ever front 3' candiate, which of course was Neymar, Suarez, and Pessi, all 3 if whom I dislike to one level or another (although I respect their play, especially Pessi as he fiinally manned up and won a WC, which you have to do to be considered the GOAT, which will fuck Håland likely, as Norway likely cannot ever win the WC.

An aside: IF Håland DID lead Norway to the WC, and maybe the Euros as well, and IF he does end up with 800, 900, or especially 1,000 top-flight goals, and multiple (at least 4 or 5 or more) CLs and world club cups and at least 4 or 5  Ballon d'Ors, he would be the GOAT for me, finally displacing Pele and Maradona and now Pessi, who are my top 3 all time, easily. If Maldini had won a WC (he should have accepted a spot on the 2006 Italy squad, and also he had dreadfully shite luck in 1994 with the Roberto Baggio pen miss), he would be in that mix for GOAT, as I think he edges Beckenbauer (my 5th greatest) for 4th greatest player ever). I really was hoping France had won v the argies, as I would have loved too aee Mbappe have a chance at 4 straight WC's, which, if he also keeps up his play for 15 plus total years or so, puts him in the GOAT mix too. 3 out of 4 WCs still might do it, but 4 would be unbreakable and tbh, he might have tried for 5 straight (at 35 yo).

Number two. The INSANE level of racism and hatred Vini Jr faces in Spain. He is the most racially abused and attacked athete on the planet atm. It really is madness. I know some here downplay racism, and I myself, as a black female, do not elevate it to the degree it is the biggest problem in my life at all (it just isn’t, but that's just me, I have had a VERY non typical upbringing that many of my fellow PoC did not), BUT the constant verbal, mental, physical abuse and non stop threats (including death threats of a very credible nature, confirmed by the Spanish national authorities) that young bloke is subjected too is tragically, inhumanly CRAY. He says he wakes up each day and wonders if today is the day he is seriously injured or killed. That is no way to live. It's fucking WRONG. It's way FUCKED.

Edited by Vesper

6 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Aren’t you the one for whom every pöayer with „less than 2 seasons under 30 y.o.“ is old for every position except goalie?😂

esp for a pace reliant player like him. Not a fan, don’t think his goal return screams 20 goals per season in PL either but if Poch really wants him he should be granted one wish but none more. 

Not for a cheap, non main buy. Not at all.

I do not normally deal with targeting for players I do not see as long term additions, but I am very open to low cost verteran add-ins IF they are of a certain mould, whuch Dybala deffo is. I just do not bring those types up much.

We have so much youth that an older player who has only two or 3 years left in the tank will hardly be a massive roadblock, and may damn well aid us in the here and now for a cheap price. Look at Thiago. Look at Citeh with a soon (this coming season in spring) to be 30yo (almost same age as Dybala, 5 months younger) Kova. And Dybala will cost 20m less or so, plus a lower wage.

53 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I said Vini Jr for two reasons.

Number one. Both he and Mbappe only like to play LWer. They both dislike RW a lot, and neither likes to play CF either, so it's very hard to shoehorn them into the same lineup. Its the same issue Mbappe had at PSG with Neymar. If either Mbappe or Vini Jr was a RWer who prefered the right, and then you add in Håland there soon, you have a top 3 or so all-time (maybe best ever) front 3. But the double LWer conundrum prevents this. It is a shame actually, as I love all 3 players, unlike the last 'greatest ever front 3' candiate, which of course was Neymar, Suarez, and Pessi, all 3 if whom I dislike to one level or another (although I respect their play, especially Pessi as he fiinally manned up and won a WC, which you have to do to be considered the GOAT, which will fuck Håland likely, as Norway likely cannot ever win the WC.

An aside: IF Håland DID lead Norway to the WC, and maybe the Euros as well, and IF he does end up with 800, 900, or especially 1,000 top-flight goals, and multiple (at least 4 or 5 or more) CLs and world club cups and at least 4 or 5  Ballon d'Ors, he would be the GOAT for me, finally displacing Pele and Maradona and now Pessi, who are my top 3 all time, easily. If Maldini had won a WC (he should have accepted a spot on the 2006 Italy squad, and also he had dreadfully shite luck in 1994 with the Roberto Baggio pen miss), he would be in that mix for GOAT, as I think he edges Beckenbauer (my 5th greatest) for 4th greatest player ever). I really was hoping France had won v the argies, as I would have loved too aee Mbappe have a chance at 4 straight WC's, which, if he also keeps up his play for 15 plus total years or so, puts him in the GOAT mix too. 3 out of 4 WCs still might do it, but 4 would be unbreakable and tbh, he might have tried for 5 straight (at 35 yo).

Number two. The INSANE level of racism and hatred Vini Jr faces in Spain. He is the most racially abused and attacked athete on the planet atm. It really is madness. I know some here downplay racism, and I myself, as a black female, do not elevate it to the degree it is the biggest problem in my life at all (it just isn’t, but that's just me, I have had a VERY non typical upbringing that many of my fellow PoC did not), BUT the constant verbal, mental, physical abuse and non stop threats (including death threats of a very credible nature, confirmed by the Spanish national authorities) that young bloke is subjected too is tragically, inhumanly CRAY. He says he wakes up each day and wonders if today is the day he is seriously injured or killed. That is no way to live. It's fucking WRONG. It's way FUCKED.

This Mbappe saga is getting tiresome now. Will he, won't he, can they afford him, etc. 

The second point is awful on so many levels. It honestly feels like Spanish and Italian FA's don't care in the slightest and will only start doing so when those being subject to such disgusting behaviour boycott games affecting them, where it really hurts.

4 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Dunno if already discussed, this thread is crazy fast, but rumor section on BBC (yeah I know) says Bernardo Silva may be avail for a reasonable fee.

As someone who thinks he's overrated, I still think he is an excellent player, so a move for him would evidently make sense esp given our gaping hole on the right wing.

I rate Bernardo and he certainly would help is creatively and he is a left-footer who can play RW

unpopular opinion (perhaps)

IF Citeh lose both Gündoğan and Bernardo and do not adequately replace them, it will deffo sting, maybe hard

those two were massive keys to that team last year

Kova is not not a goal scorer, nor really an assists machine

if Mahrez (who turns 33yo this season) has a similar drop-off that he had from 2021/22 to 2022/23 and then you remove Bernardo, they are down to only two great wingers (and only 3 overall, counting Mahrez) and both Grealish and Foden prefer the LW. Pep will simply have to (if they buy no RWer and Mahrez does continue to deteriorate) likely force Foden to play on the RW, (I see no reason why the lad insists on the LW, as he is a left footer and should make a great RWer)

they REALLY (if they buy no one to replace Bernardo) need Cole Palmer, the youth to step up (big plus, he is a left footer and can perhaps fill in at RW) BUT they are tlking about loaning him out

they also (as I have said for ages) have real fullback issues (they are for sure dumping Cancelo, and Walker is both ageing and likely leaving)

if they do not get Gvardiol and they lose Laporte, then the fill-in fullbacks (the erstwhile CBs Ake and Akanji) will forced to play CB enough that they (at least one) cannot be considered a full-time FB. 

If Ake is not the LB, then they are down to the dire Sergio Gómez, and if Walker and Cancelo leave, then Citeh had best hope the 18yo Rico Lewis is indeed the real deal, as their only other RB option is the CB Akanji.

If Cancelo and Walker leave, and they do not pull Gvardiol (or another CB) and add no fullbacks and Laporte also leaves (another IF: they do not use the young, non topflight-proven Taylor Harwood-Bellis at CB, they loan him out again or sell him) 

then this is their entire set of defensive backs:

CB Rúben Dias 
CB Nathan Aké  (often was the starting LB)
CB John Stones (and often played in a hybrid DMF/sweeper role, as Kalvin Phillips was a major bust and Máximo Perrone, the Argie youth, was not ready. perhaps this is where Kova goes)
CB Manuel Akanji (often was the starting RB)

LB Sergio Gómez  (shite IMHO)
RB Rico Lewis  only 18yo (and small, 1.69m, and vulnerable in the air)

Yan Couto (RB) is back from loan but he is so not top quality (was not even remotely a full timer at the meh Girona) and is a dwarf

3 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Bernardo has mentioned that he'd be open to move to Benfica/Barcelona, think he was offered a good deal to go to Saudi League as well...

yes, I can so see him going to the Saudis for insane cash

12 minutes ago, Vesper said:

yes, I can so see him going to the Saudis for insane cash

He turned down a move there already. Weeks ago. Can see him waiting for Barca or PSG as opposed to Saudi’s. Or even again staying another season at City if one of those 2 don’t come up as he wanted to leave last summer also.

21 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I rate Bernardo and he certainly would help is creatively and he is a left-footer who can play RW

IF Citeh lose both Gündoğan and Bernardo and do not adequately replace them, it will deffo sting, maybe hard

if Mahrez (who turns 33yo this season) has a similar drop-off that he had from 2021/22 to 2022/23 and then you remove Bernardo, they are down to only two great wingers (and only 3 overall, counting Mahrez) and both Grealish and Foden prefer the LW. Pep will simply have to (if they buy no RWer and Mahrez does continue to deteriorate) likely force Foden to play on the RW, (I see no reason why the lad insists on the LW, as he is a left footer and should make a great RWer)

they REALLY (if they buy no one to replace Bernardo) need Cole Palmer, the youth to step up (big plus, he is a left footer and can perhaps fill in at RW) BUT they are tlking about loaning him out

they also (as I have said for ages) have real fullback issues (they are for sure dumping Cancelo, and Walker is both ageing and likely leaving)

if they do not get Gvardiol and they lose Laporte, then the fill-in fullbacks (the erstwhile CBs Ake and Akanji) will forced to play CB enough that they (at least one) cannot be considered a full-time FB. 

If Ake is not the LB, then they are down to the dire Sergio Gómez, and if Walker and Cancelo leave, then Citeh had best hope the 18yo Rico Lewis is indeed the real deal, as their only other RB option is the CB Akanji.

If Cancelo and Walker leave, and they do not pull Gvardiol (or another CB) and add no fullbacks and Laporte also leaves (another IF: they do not use the young, non topflight-proven Taylor Harwood-Bellis at CB, they loan him out again or sell him) 

CB Rúben Dias 
CB John Stones (and often played in a hybrid DMF/sweeper role, as Kalvin Phillips was a major bust and Máximo Perrone, the Argie youth, was not ready. perhaps this is where Kova goes)

Yan Couto (RB) is back from loan but he is so not top quality (was not even remotely a full timer at the meh Girona) and is a dwarf

Which makes all the more bizarre, if reports are right, that they are willing to let Bernardo go. He's 28 and looks pretty energetic when on the pitch.

I think I see it--which is the reason I don't rate him as a key player (for me City has 2 of those and that's it)--he struggles in certain types of games. I agree he's good enough esp in the PL, so he'd fit right in that right wing just fine.

They may have something lined up which we don't know about.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

CB Rúben Dias 

Looking at that new Pep formation 3241 or 3223 doesn't look like he needs full backs. 

Chelsea set to complete the signing of leftback Ishé Samuels-Smith from Everton

https://theathletic.com/4668807/2023/07/05/Chelsea-samuels-smith-everton/

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - APRIL 15: Ishe Samuels-Smith of Everton before the Premier League match between Everton FC and Fulham FC at Goodison Park on April 15, 2023 in Liverpool, England #JFT97. (Photo by Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)

Chelsea are set to complete the signing of Ishe Samuels-Smith from Everton for a fee close to £4m.

The 17-year-old defender has agreed a three-year deal with the London club.

The highly-rated teenager featured prominently for Everton’s youth sides this season and was named on the first team bench for the 4-1 Carabao Cup defeat to Bournemouth on November 22 as well as the 3-1 defeat to Fulham on April 15.

Samuels-Smith, who was born in Manchester, first began to represent Everton as a nine-year-old and featured for the under-18 and under-21 sides this campaign.

He has also represented England at Under-15, Under-16, and Under-17 level, and was the only Englishman named in the UEFA team of the tournament at the UEFA under-17 European Championships earlier this summer.

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

No signings, a thinner squad and the wait for investment drags on - the state of play at Everton

Samuels-Smith has a twin brother, Odin, who also plays for Everton.

fbb93b4723b53fc45cfd75b8af24319b.png

Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City chasing Everton's 17-year-old  wonderkid Ishe Samuels-Smith| All Football

Everton Training Session

Everton FC v Fulham FC - Premier League

Edited by Vesper

44 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Please Todd get this done now.

AC Milan have made an improved $24m (£18.9m) for Chelsea and United States winger Christian Pulisic, 24. (Mail)

Last year of his contract too. Need to sell