Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

It's actually not a coping mechanism, he's not worth 120 million yet. 

That depends upon whether we keep our existing midfield trio (Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic) or not. 

I'm more curious as to whether you actually believe splashing 120 million on a single player (who hasn't actually proven anything at club level) will somehow elevate Chelsea back into the top 4 fight?

We have significant holes and issues all over the squad.  You look at GK, question marks over Mendy & Kepa.  You look at RB, Azpi is well and truly cooked and teams will continue to target him on that flank.  You look at midfield, we need a new Kante.     You look at the attacking roles, we need a clean out.  

Right now our squad is no better than 8th place and if you honestly believe a combination of Auba, Havertz, Pulisic & Ziyech will somehow get us to 6th place in the league, the best thing to do would be: wake up from your dream. 

You will convince yourself he was worth it next season when City or United get him if not now.

Also last I know a combination of Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech finished Top 4 back to back. 

6 minutes ago, TheHulk said:

You will convince yourself he was worth it next season when City or United get him if not now.

Also last I know a combination of Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech finished Top 4 back to back. 

It beggars belief people still think these same players who also won the Champions league and Super cup are suddenly bad players? With the right coaching these players are some of the best in the PL.

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

It's actually not a coping mechanism, he's not worth 120 million yet. 

That depends upon whether we keep our existing midfield trio (Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic) or not. 

I'm more curious as to whether you actually believe splashing 120 million on a single player (who hasn't actually proven anything at club level) will somehow elevate Chelsea back into the top 4 fight?

We have significant holes and issues all over the squad.  You look at GK, question marks over Mendy & Kepa.  You look at RB, Azpi is well and truly cooked and teams will continue to target him on that flank.  You look at midfield, we need a new Kante.     You look at the attacking roles, we need a clean out.  

Right now our squad is no better than 8th place and if you honestly believe a combination of Auba, Havertz, Pulisic & Ziyech will somehow get us to 6th place in the league, the best thing to do would be: wake up from your dream. 

Its been clear for more than a year that we have to upgrade in midfield. It is an area of the squad we haven't invested in since 2018 when Jorgi and Kova were signed. If we're spending heavy on any position right now, it has to be CM.

I don't see people suggesting alternatives to Enzo. Rice is quoted at 80m and he is an inferior player, especially when he'll be in a bigger team with more of the ball. Have read Moises Caicedo quoted at 70m.

3 minutes ago, didi007 said:

It beggars belief people still think these same players who also won the Champions league and Super cup are suddenly bad players? With the right coaching these players are some of the best in the PL.

Fans coming up with all kind of excuses to shield Potter for being poor. This squad isn't great and injuries also didn't help the situation but even so we should be better than Brighton. Under Tuchel we were creating chances each match, this season under Potter we have 3 times as less big chances compared to last season.

41 minutes ago, didi007 said:

In fairness we've limped into the Champions League spots the last 2 seasons.

We caught a bounce off Tuchel coming in and even then proceeded to try to throw it away and needed other teams to do us a favour on the final day because we couldn't do it ourselves.

Then last season we were fortunate we started the season so strongly like we have regularly done in the past because from December onwards the season completely nosedived and we barely clung on to top 4. 

If we're all being honest with ourselves this run of form has been coming and arguably is just carrying on since last December. Not sure of the stats but the second half of last season under Tuchel probably has us in about 8th-10th position in the league too.

All of them offer the same problem - great on their day but their day comes once every 4 or 5 games, or a patch of form every 3 or 4 months. They're not helped by the midfield issues and our full backs being crocked more often than not for the last year but even in Tuchel's first 12 months here they were all like that then too. The consistency and mentality of the group as a whole is a massive problem.

4 hours ago, Strike said:

I am curious about one thing with all those saying Enzo at 100m was way too much - What would be your midfield signing(s) ?

yep, everyone's a critic yet repeatedly I have asked numerous other posters who they would go for (and not just about Enzo either) in terms of players we are not linked with and/or are blowing off and................

Crickets-chirping GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Enzo deal absolutely has the feel that he’s going to end up at a PL rival and haunt us for years to come now. My guess is either Liverpool or United.

So unless we somehow rebuild the bridge with Benfica and pay the release clause this month this could be one of the worst mistakes we’ve ever made. And after the angry reaction from their coach and last night’s defiant celebration from Enzo himself I’m guessing this is 100% dead forever. 

That quote from last week that I’m not sure was accurate or not from the Benfica President really annoyed me and stuck out because it’s sadly where we find ourselves now. That Enzo should wait until the summer for “a more organized and higher level club” or something like that. Normally, a move from Benfica to Chelsea would be considered a massive step up but we’re in such a mess now that other clubs view us as a place to avoid.

2 hours ago, Antonio8 said:

Felix can play also as number 9

He can, but he's not great at it.

And there in lies the problem. Multiple players who can play multiple positions but none of them can play the role they're best at, Mount and Havertz especially.

14 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yeah, giving 30m signing fee to 18 years old who achieved nothing so far is very smart. I can already see how his career will go. 

140 goals in less than 2 full season's worth of minutes as a 12yo to 15yo playing against 15yos (a few) and mostly 16, 17yos up to to 23yos

this is his first run of games as a TWELVE YEAR OLD, playing against mostly 16, 17yos (a smaller amount of 15yos in the mix too) in 80 minute games (so almost a full games less worth of minutes basically over the ones where he played the full 80):

24 goals, 5 assists in 12 games (939 minutes played), as a 12 year old playing against mostly 4 to 5 year older players

d1762d2d7cf012c648bfec75219c89b1.png

he turned 13 on Nov 20, 2017

also

he is the youngest goalscorer in Bundesliga history (you can't play in it until you turn 16)

he scored 3 goals in 4 and a half games worth of minutes then

6e6fcb1de198efef1b63f108c3ffbac1.png310e508011913e7d1a175f62f4819a57.png

Edited by Vesper