Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Have to say, I kind of pre-judged Onana as being one of those crazy ass African keepers who can save the impoosible but messes up the basics. Watching his highlights he looks asif he can do the basics quite well... but I can't see how he handles corners neither can I find anything on Cakir in that department. For me, I am soo sick of seeing our GKs struggle to catch a ball from a set peice. Guess we were spoiled with Cech and Courtois.

I have a freind who's an Ajax fan and he strongly believes if he comes to the PL he'll be second only to Alisson.

Could be him wearing red and white tinted glasses but he also said he thinks Tagliafico would struggle in the PL so I imagine he actually believes it.

Onana is a superb goalkeeper. Good positioning, strong hands, moves well and an absolute monster when when coming off the line. Obviously he isn't without flaws as he's a bit suspect when handling the ball and a few other things but he's a top club quality keeper.

3 minutes ago, ulsterchelsea said:

In fairness to him I couldn't care less about off field antics. I want him to put the ball in the net

But some times the shenanigans that players do off the pitch can be telling about their mentality and in Jovic's case, he clearly hasn't done much to impress Zidane this season.

8 minutes ago, ulsterchelsea said:

In fairness to him I couldn't care less about off field antics. I want him to put the ball in the net

Off the field issues are something the clubs care about a lot.

First of all clubs don't want the bad press but more importantly off the field stuff can easily affect their performances too, so it's better to have a player who's a model professional than someone who's more reckless and you never know what they're gonna get themselves involved with next.

I believe I'm right when I say that a huge part of scouting is finding out what kind of person a player is off the pitch and what their mentality is like. Someone like Jovic hasn't exactly presented himself in a good light lately.

And just need to look at our own squad right now, more importantly Kepa. There's been rumors he had a bad break-up from his girlfriend sometime last year and that's said to have affected his training and performances a lot. So aside from his skills (or lack thereof) maybe the club didn't do a very good job with scouting his fragile mentality etc. before spending a huge amount of money on him? Same for Morata before.

I see the Onana links are popping up again. Something I hadn't considered until now is AFCON. Every team is used to coping without outfield players during that competition, but it would be pretty significant to be without your #1 keeper for an extended period.

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I see the Onana links are popping up again. Something I hadn't considered until now is AFCON. Every team is used to coping without outfield players during that competition, but it would be pretty significant to be without your #1 keeper for an extended period.

We will have Kepa to cover up for him :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Pizy said:

not just that but the pitches down there are usually SHIT, and the lesser teams go all thug ball, and injuries thus rack up far too often

19 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Not a problem for next season because AFCON21 was delayed until 2022. And I believe the next African championships after that are scheduled for June-July so it's not going to affect clubs anymore in the future.

Losing him for a few games in the season after next can't seriously be considered a factor when deciding whether to get Onana or not.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But some times the shenanigans that players do off the pitch can be telling about their mentality and in Jovic's case, he clearly hasn't done much to impress Zidane this season.

Tbf Benzema is enjoying a renaissance of sorts this season having got 23 goals and 10 assists as well as 9 MoTM awards so far so its clear to see why Jovic isn’t playing, regardless of the off field stuff. Fair Jovic has had some issues off the field breaking lockdown protocols but so has Kyle Walker, Hudson-Odoi, Jack Grealish among many others off the top of my head. Jovic has also had injuries at Madrid which haven't helped and I think he has maybe not expected the difference to have been quite as severe when he moved to Madrid based on what he had done in Germany before.

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

Tbf Benzema is enjoying a renaissance of sorts this season having got 23 goals and 10 assists as well as 9 MoTM awards so far so its clear to see why Jovic isn’t playing, regardless of the off field stuff. 

If Jovic was doing alright, training hard, keeping his head down etc, despite not playing much, we wouldn't be seeing stories about his availability in the market, would we?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

If Jovic was doing alright, training hard, keeping his head down etc, despite not playing much, we wouldn't be seeing stories about his availability in the market, would we?

Madrid need to sell players before buying to raise funds for players such as Pogba or Havertz who they are monitoring. Hakimi was another one they sold for this reason (as well as he didnt fancy being second choice) and James, Jovic, Brahim Diaz and a few others will be the same if a suitable offer is made. 

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

Madrid need to sell players before buying to raise funds for players such as Pogba or Havertz who they are monitoring. Hakimi was another one they sold for this reason (as well as he didnt fancy being second choice) and James, Jovic and a few others will be the same. 

Well yeah but Jovic has only been there for one season. If Zidane was happy with him, he wouldn't be on the market. With James, Bale etc, that's understandable and obvious.

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Tbf Benzema is enjoying a renaissance of sorts this season having got 23 goals and 10 assists as well as 9 MoTM awards so far so its clear to see why Jovic isn’t playing, regardless of the off field stuff. Fair Jovic has had some issues off the field breaking lockdown protocols but so has Kyle Walker, Hudson-Odoi, Jack Grealish among many others off the top of my head. 

last season he had 30 goals, all comps

the bloke has averaged 25 goals a year for club and country for 13 straight seasons

he played almost every minute of this league season so far

25 major trophies (soon 26 or 27)

including

9a4a53aebac5a42f7eb5d01213941cb4.png

beast, so underrated

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Does Onana even start for Cameroon?