WorldCup 2022 - Qatar

nachikethas

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

then it's settled for good between CR7 and him

heh never thought it was even close tbh.

Been warning about Argentina for a while here... heh just the way they beat Brazil in Brazilian soil was a big warning flag to me.
Brazil play them again and my money is on them. Brazil was overrated by the media, as usual.

8 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

heh never thought it was even close tbh.

Been warning about Argentina for a while here... heh just the way they beat Brazil in Brazilian soil was a big warning flag to me.
Brazil play them again and my money is on them. Brazil was overrated by the media, as usual.

I still think there are 6,7 better teams than Argentina. Just it happened they didn't face any of them to reach the final. 

5 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I still think there are 6,7 better teams than Argentina. Just it happened they didn't face any of them to reach the final. 

well we will see... I think (very likely) France will have an extremely hard time against Argentina.

I hope you did not include Portugal in there. 😉 

Edited by robsblubot

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

name 6, 7 teams better than them

France is the only one you can say for sure (especially when 100% healthy, but even now)

Brazil possibly, but results speak loudly

I wouldn't rate any of the other 6 of the big 7 old Euro powers as better

England (shit CBs did us in, along with fullback injuries, IF we had 2 WC CBs and at least Reece, I might say better, BUT we do not have them)
Italy (that Euro winning side, maybe, but they are no longer at that level)
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Netherlands

and then

Belgium, who are full stop rinsed

15 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

well we will see... I think (very likely) France will have an extremely hard time against Argentina.

I hope you did not include Portugal in there. 😉 

at most there are 2 or 3, and the second (Brasil) was beaten by them (Copa America) and by Croatia, and the third (England) doesn't have Reece and also we have slabhead as a starting CB

that leaves only one better, IMHO

France

Italy fell apart after winning the Euros, they did not even make the WC finals, lolol

Spain were disappointing, I do not think they can handle the Argies atm

no other team can be said to be better with a straight face

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Hope Morocco learn from this and don’t crumble like Croatia. 

Nayef Aguerd and Romain Saiss, the two best centre-backs in the Morocco squad, are fitness doubts, but Noussair Mazraoui could be available after missing the Portugal win.

If both of their starting CBs are out, well, eeeek

40 minutes ago, Vesper said:

at most there are 2 or 3, and the second (Brasil) was beaten by them (Copa America) and by Croatia, and the third (England) doesn't have Reece and also we have slabhead as a starting CB

that leaves only one better, IMHO

France

Italy fell apart after winning the Euros, they did not even make the WC finals, lolol

Spain were disappointing, I do not think they can handle the Argies atm

no other team can be said to be better with a straight face

Agreed. It's easier to look at the names in a list and say who plays where and who should be the better side -- that's what the media does every time with Brazil. Like I said before, aside from defense (and Reece), England is also missing someone else in midfield for me, perhaps that someone could've been mount if the coach had tried that. 🤷‍♂️ This is the best England team I've seen in many WCs to be honest. I think it's at lot better than the one Brazil beat in 2002.

When we talk about single-elimination WC games--and not long championships--this grit that the Argentines show can go a long way. They are not particularly powerful athletes, so they have to physically compete via aggression. Besides... there is Messi. Messi atm is the hardest player to handle with Mbappe a close second. Mbappe still requires some space to operate, while Messi does not.

Brazil had a real problem high pressing. They could only do that for very short periods of time, which was a big problem against a possession team like Croatia. I think Brazil's inability to high press would've make Spain a nightmare for them. 

Now we only need France to do their job to get the dream final. All fair game to Morocco, they've done a brilliant job, but I know which team the Argentines would much rather face.

Edited by robsblubot

7 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Agreed. It's easier to look at the names in a list and say who plays where and who should be the better side -- that's what the media does every time with Brazil. Like I said before, aside from defense (and Reece), England is also missing someone else in midfield for me, perhaps that someone could've been mount if the coach had tried that. 🤷‍♂️ This is the best England team I've seen in many WCs to be honest. I think it's at lot better than the one Brazil beat in 2002.

When we talk about single-elimination WC games--and not long championships--this grit that the Argentines show can go a long way. They are not particularly powerful athletes, so they have to physically compete via aggression. Besides... there is Messi. Messi atm is the hardest player to handle with Mbappe a close second. Mbappe still requires some space to operate, while Messi does not.

Brazil had real problem high pressing. They could only do that for very short periods of time, which was a big problem against a possession team like Croatia. I think Brazil's inability to high press would make Spain a nightmare to them. 

Now we only need France to do their job to get the dream final. All fair game to Morocco, they've done a brilliant job, but I know which team the Argentines would much rather face.

if France had a healthy Kante and Kimpembe, they would be pure locks 

Upamecano is their weak spot

crazy that they do not roll with another CB

real shame (for France and us) that Fofana is not only injured, but also NOT at all fully recovered before that from his leg break

when he was playing like he was pre injury for Leicester (which is the form that enticed us, even post injury, to splash the cash), I thought he would be a starting CB for France in this WC

France in general was the most insane amount of CBs (not talking WC)

and remember, Aymeric Laporte could have picked them at any time to play for

in order of T-Markt valuation:

Wesley Fofana injured
Jules Koundé
Lucas Hernández injured
Dayot Upamecano 
William Saliba
Raphaël Varane
Presnel Kimpembe injured
Benoît Badiashile
Robin Le Normand (I think he would have been a great add)
Ibrahima Konaté 
Pierre Kalulu 
Kurt Zouma 
Evan Ndicka  (I think he would have been a great add)
Mohamed Simakan (I think he would have been a great add)
Axel Disasi 
Maxence Lacroix 
Jean-Clair Todibo 
Tanguy Nianzou 
Dan-Axel Zagadou  

6 minutes ago, Vesper said:

if France had a healthy Kante and Kimpembe, they would be pure locks 

Upamecano is their weak spot

crazy that they do not roll with another CB

real shame (for France and us) that Fofana is not only injured, but also NOT at all fully recovered before that from his leg break

when he was playing like he was pre injury for Leicester (which is the form that enticed us, even post injury, to splash the cash), I thought he would be a starting CB for France in this WC

France in general was the most insane amount of CBs (not talking WC)

and remember, Aymeric Laporte could have picked them at any time to play for

in order of T-Markt valuation:

Wesley Fofana injured
Jules Koundé
Lucas Hernández injured
Dayot Upamecano 
William Saliba
Raphaël Varane
Presnel Kimpembe injured
Benoît Badiashile
Robin Le Normand (I think he would have been a great add)
Ibrahima Konaté 
Pierre Kalulu 
Kurt Zouma 
Evan Ndicka  (I think he would have been a great add)
Mohamed Simakan (I think he would have been a great add)
Axel Disasi 
Maxence Lacroix 
Jean-Clair Todibo 
Tanguy Nianzou 
Dan-Axel Zagadou  

yeah which kante tho. Still, not sure how much a lock there is in a WC final, but yeah France would be much clearer favorites without the absences -- even if I would still give them the edge against Argentina right now. It's going to be tight though, so any detail would be enough to settle it. 60-40... France? 🤷‍♂️

One thing I've learned from several Brazil WC campaigns is that, depth is nice to have (evidently), but only XI play and it takes a very good coach to fully utilize that extra depth. On the other hand, I'm not seeing the need to rotate players as much as before. Perhaps fitness is so more advanced that players are coping with the accumulation of physical matches better than before.

7 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

On the other hand, I'm not seeing the need to rotate players as much as before. Perhaps fitness is so more advanced that players are coping with the accumulation of physical matches better than before.

because it is a midseason WC