• Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Azpilicueta (sub)
    • James (sub)
    • Havertz (sub)
    • Ziyech (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Since we got Man City the semi-final, I am curious about one thing - will Tuchel stick with Kepa in goal or will he play Mendy instead?

he will obviously play mendy. cup keepers get ousted when things get serious.

Just now, Magic Lamps said:

he will obviously play mendy. cup keepers get ousted when things get serious.

Yeah but this is Kepa we're talking about. We all know Marina, the board are invested in him. 

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Tuchel's record against Guardiola:

With Mainz:
L 1-4
L 0-2

With Dortmund:
L 1-5
D 0-0
D 0-0 (lost 4-3 in the DFB Pokal Final PK shootout)

Slightly concerning but at the same time, I think if we can put in a performance like we did v Liverpool or in the Atletico games, we have every chance. I mean United managed to beat them and comfortably also. Records are there to be broken and I would hope this may give him extra motivation also. Although I dont know if coaches are hugely bothered about their head to head records v certain managers as opposed to their teams standings.

Also re Kepa; I would be surprised if he plays in the cup semi or final if we get there. Even though Kepa has to play sometimes to try drum up some potential interest and for Tuchel, to manage the squad well I do think we will see Mendy if hes fit and available. Although, who knows, maybe he will stick with him for the cups? I think it would be a second sink or swim moment though for Kepa, if he got that opportunity he would have to play well. If he cost us in another big game in front of a hugely improved defence, there will be more serious questions. Saying that today he did his job well. Long way to convince people obviously and understandably so but easy to ignore praise where its due.

Edited by OneMoSalah

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Slightly concerning but at the same time, I think if we can put in a performance like we did v Liverpool or in the Atletico games, we have every chance. Records are there to be broken and I would hope this may give him extra motivation also. Although I dont know if coaches are hugely bothered about their head to head records v certain managers as opposed to their teams standings.

TBF, Tuchel's resources back then weren't comparable to Guardiola's Bayern back then. A bit more equal footing now with Chelsea v Man City.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah but this is Kepa we're talking about. We all know Marina, the board are invested in him. 

Still, after having tolerated Kepa on the bench on a year, I doubt the board is gonna suddenly intervene to make Tuchel play Kepa in a vital game and risk derailing our season while undermining the managers authority.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Still, after having tolerated Kepa on the bench on a year, I doubt the board is gonna suddenly intervene to make Tuchel play Kepa in a vital game and risk derailing our season while undermining the managers authority.

God knows. There was all the hoo-ha when we dropped Kepa in the big games towards the end of last season. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

TBF, Tuchel's resources back then weren't comparable to Guardiola's Bayern back then. A bit more equal footing now with Chelsea v Man City.

Yeah that is true.

I think as well whilst City are playing well they have a lot of games still like us and have to play 5 times in 2 weeks basically as we do. They also have Leicester, Leeds, Dortmund twice in 4 of those games and also a cup final a week after they play us, so undoubtedly they will utilise their squad at times (we all know its strong but there’s definitely some players I would rather see not start, ie. Aguero, De Bruyne, Joao Cancelo and Phil Foden - although probably end up starting all four v us 🤣).

They’ve definitely got a tougher run in than we do in those fixtures prior to the cup but I hope those 4 games throw up a few issues for them. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

God knows. There was all the hoo-ha when we dropped Kepa in the big games towards the end of last season. 

More because we only had Caballero as an alternative I would imagine. Cant see the hee haw now for playing Mendy, who is a better goalkeeper, in a semi final.

Edited by OneMoSalah

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

More because we only had Caballero as an alternative I would imagine. Cant see the hee haw now for playing Mendy, who is a better goalkeeper, in a semi final.

But the problem is more with Kepa here, rather than Mendy or Caballero. 

Caballero played all the early rounds in the FA Cup last season. So of course it was normal to stick with him in the semis and final. Kepa has played all the FA Cup games so far this season. So, does Tuchel stick or twist here? He has been praising Kepa and talking a lot about team spirit etc. If he were to play Mendy instead, it would kinda contradict what he's been saying.

Am all for playing Mendy of course but don't think this will be a straightforward decision for Tuchel when the time comes. 

6 hours ago, Azul said:

I expected more from Pulisic, he looks like a shadow of his former self. I was hoping he could regain his form, but he's been inconsistent.

He needs to find a new environment in the summer.  Maybe all would be happier if that were the case.

Is it just me, or is CHO a bit flat-footed? 

Some fans think he's never been the same since the injury and that might be so, but the real top players are nimble and light on their feet. Can't think of one who is flat footed. 

15 minutes ago, DanP2311 said:

He needs to find a new environment in the summer.  Maybe all would be happier if that were the case.

I know I wouldn't be happy to see him leave in the summer!

If he's not back to his best sometime next season, then it might be time for him to move on.

At the moment, on form, he's the only attacking player we have that has title challenging talent.

7 minutes ago, chippy said:

At the moment, on form, he's the only attacking player we have that has title challenging talent.

Bold call.

Also, kinda funny to see people's perception of Pulisic at the moment because when he was injured, people were constantly complaining about his injury record and even contemplated the idea of selling him.

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah that is true.

I think as well whilst City are playing well they have a lot of games still like us and have to play 5 times in 2 weeks basically as we do. They also have Leicester, Leeds, Dortmund twice in 4 of those games and also a cup final a week after they play us, so undoubtedly they will utilise their squad at times (we all know its strong but there’s definitely some players I would rather see not start, ie. Aguero, De Bruyne, Joao Cancelo and Phil Foden - although probably end up starting all four v us 🤣).

They’ve definitely got a tougher run in than we do in those fixtures prior to the cup but I hope those 4 games throw up a few issues for them. 

Would be great if we shatter the quadruple bid