Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Mikel is a good CDM. He's not Makalele or Viera but he does his job. He plays short, accurate passes, he covers holes vacated by defenders, he tackles well, he positions himself well, basically, he does his job. The problem is that people love flashy (or new) and good defensive midfielders are not flashy (in fact, most good players aren't flashy at any position).

If you haven't, people should read this. http://www.eplindex.com/16829/chelsea-forget-john-obi-mikel.html

I like Mikel but it will only get harder for him the more open we play. Showing his stats of late last season is all well and good, but how did we play at that time? The midfield was compact and opposition teams were forced to go around the outside to get at the back four. Mikel thrived in that because there was no space in the middle for teams to exploit. We all know Mikel isn't the most mobile of players, so I don't know why some can't see that he might struggle the more open we play. Especially alongside Lampard who's natural instinct is to go forward, it often (and has against Wigan and Reading) left Mikel on his own.

I've seen people bring up stats highlighting his distribution, why? Although generally his distribution is great, for a player in his position anything above average is a bonus. It's the job of the player next to Mikel to create from deep, whilst also be competent defensively. The way we are looking to play and with the new players we have in attack, a player who can cover ground and hassle opposition players is needed more than one who can sit and break up play. A perfect example would be Vidal, or even Essien if he still had his legs.

I'm not 'slating' Mikel, I think he's a very good player. I just don't think he's suited to how we're trying to play, especially with Lampard doing him no favours in a defensive sense.

I like Mikel but it will only get harder for him the more open we play. Showing his stats of late last season is all well and good, but how did we play at that time? The midfield was compact and opposition teams were forced to go around the outside to get at the back four. Mikel thrived in that because there was no space in the middle for teams to exploit. We all know Mikel isn't the most mobile of players, so I don't know why some can't see that he might struggle the more open we play. Especially alongside Lampard who's natural instinct is to go forward, it often (and has against Wigan and Reading) left Mikel on his own.

I've seen people bring up stats highlighting his distribution, why? Although generally his distribution is great, for a player in his position anything above average is a bonus. It's the job of the player next to Mikel to create from deep, whilst also be competent defensively. The way we are looking to play and with the new players we have in attack, a player who can cover ground and hassle opposition players is needed more than one who can sit and break up play. A perfect example would be Vidal, or even Essien if he still had his legs.

I'm not 'slating' Mikel, I think he's a very good player. I just don't think he's suited to how we're trying to play, especially with Lampard doing him no favours in a defensive sense.

2 points

1) The midfield last year under RDM was no more compact than it will be this year. It was the same 4-2-3-1 formation with most of the same players. Having Hazard in the starting XI doesn't suddenly make Mikel useless.

2) We keep talking about a new style, but that style change is not going to happen overnight...if ever. You can't transition from one style to another in a year. It will take time. Some of the players we bought will work out great and some won't work out at as expected. The style might not work at all and the players' natural development might organically lead to another type of football.

Mikel is shit.Check Reading's second goal (when the player run and was fouled), Mikel once again was non-existand, he was actually pathetic especially for a DM.Just check it !And such situations happen all the time with him, he is just shit and if u can't see that, maybe get some glasses.

I don't know why everyone is slating Mikel, i thought he looked better against Reading, he was even trying to attack :lol:

Honestly I stopped trying to convince people of Mikel's qualities as most fans just don't understand what a DM is supposed to do. I am convinced that John is the best DM in the league and I'm glad our manager agrees with me.

Mikel is shit.Check Reading's second goal (when the player run and was fouled), Mikel once again was non-existand, he was actually pathetic especially for a DM.Just check it !And such situations happen all the time with him, he is just shit and if u can't see that, maybe get some glasses.

Maybe all the Chelsea managers before RDM and RDM himself need to be enlightened by your statement. They must all be shit managers if they can't see Mikel is shit.

The club must be shit as well for not avidly looking for a Mikel replacement.

Everyone is shit.

And btw stop with the manager bs cuz it's not even true as far as I remember Mikel wasn't starter in any of our titles under Mourinho and wasn't starter in 2009-2010 season.The only time he had any contribution was last year's FA and CL (when we got owned in midfield badly anyway (even by liverscum).. and played ultra defensively).And when we needed to attack btw (Napoli at home) he wasn't starter either..So check your bs stats again and open your eyes.

And btw stop with the manager bs cuz it's not even true as far as I remember Mikel wasn't starter in any of our titles under Mourinho and wasn't starter in 2009-2010 season.The only time he had any contribution was last year's FA and CL (when we got owned in midfield badly anyway (even by liverscum).. and played ultra defensively).And when we needed to attack btw (Napoli at home) he wasn't starter either..So check your bs stats again and open your eyes.

Lol 1 man Hate Machine :)

Look he's our player, you can't like everybody. He's not shit though - he's just not to your liking.

If he leaves CFC feel free to slate him all you want :)

2 points

1) The midfield last year under RDM was no more compact than it will be this year. It was the same 4-2-3-1 formation with most of the same players. Having Hazard in the starting XI doesn't suddenly make Mikel useless.

2) We keep talking about a new style, but that style change is not going to happen overnight...if ever. You can't transition from one style to another in a year. It will take time. Some of the players we bought will work out great and some won't work out at as expected. The style might not work at all and the players' natural development might organically lead to another type of football.

1. Well early signs would suggest you are incorrect (allbeit vs. Wigan & Reading). We'll see how we shape up today against a better side in Newcastle. And again, no one is implying that Mikel is or will be useless. I said with the new additions to the squad (mostly attacking), we are likely to be more adventurous in our play as we now have the players to hurt the opposition. Thus leaving more space at the back to exploit.

2. I was talking about the team playing more open, not a complete shift in styles. Naturally with the players we have bought we will be more open. And I was also talking about down the line when the new players have bedded into the team. Although your rant about styles is correct, that was not what I was getting on to.

It will be interesting to see how he does against Newcastle and I'll be keeping a close eye on him. His biggest is weakness has been him struggling in high tempo games and the tempo will most likely be high today. But he needs to put in a good performance as that will be key I think. He will need to think quicker and will definitely need to move more.

Good performance though the tempo wasn't nearly as high as I thought it would be.

Good in the air, excellent distribution. Held on to the ball well, Newcastle players couldn't overpower him. Great block at the end as well.

He also went on a nice rush in the second half, looked to play a good through ball to Torres but it was sadly intercepted just before it reached Fernando.

He does keep frustrating me when he just strolls back when the opposition is coming at us quickly though. He needs to move his ass.

And i'd still like to see more aggressiveness from him.

Brilliant holding mid, fantastic player. The fans who criticize him are clearly blind-sided and don't see that he does his job brilliantly. Would not have any DM over him and I genuinely mean that. He is going to grow with us