Mikel John Obi

Badboy

So Mikel is the player that decides whether all of his other team mates should hang back?

So you don't think Jose instructed the players to play conservatively in the first half but rather that it was Mikel that was telling all the players to sit deep?

Didn't know Mikel was responsible for how the team's set up. Oh well. You live and learn right?

Well said. People blaming mikel for every poor performance he features in is getting old. It's similar to the medias vendetta against Luiz

Just throwing in this for fun....

Squawka Football @Squawka 15m

Most Completed Backwards Passes In EPL: Aaron Ramsey (152), Steven N'Zonzi (142), Jonjo Shelvey (139), Kyle Walker (137) & Yaya Toure (135).

No Mikel...

@Squawka: @ChelseaStats Mikel has completed 55 backwards passes for Chelsea (30.3% of total). Fewer than Ramires (40.1%). Lampard (50.8%).

Shock.......

Yet some people say he only passes backwards/sideways loooooooooooooooooooooool

The problem is not his backward/sideways passing but his laborious approach on the ball, zero incisiveness in his passing, nothing that hurts the opponents.

"He always passes backwards" is just a convenient term that has caught on when those complaining have a valid concern about the range and quality of his passing.

The problem is not his backward/sideways passing but his laborious approach on the ball, zero incisiveness in his passing, nothing that hurts the opponents.

"He always passes backwards" is just a convenient term that has caught on when those complaining have a valid concern about the range and quality of his passing.

What do you want from a holding midfielder? Do you understand their role in the team? They are there to break up play, fill gaps when CBs go up the field, offer an option for their team mates in possession and ultimately RETAIN POSSESSION. He doesn't have to 'hurt the opponents' with his passing. I'm sick of all this bullshit he has to 'hurt opponents' as you put it, with his passing. Even against Spurs he played 3 class long passes that we nearly got chances from but no thats not threatening an opponent?

When AVB arrived as our coach he talked about his philosophy to some journalist, talked about his how he likes his defensive midfielder be able to surprise opponents and play long diagonals to the full backs/wingers and since Sergio Busquets plays passes that take out 4 or 5 players a time, its set the standard ridiculously high for a holding midfielder I feel. I think some people need to settle down with all these expectations for holding midfielders, Mikel does his job very well, hes one of the best in the PL, we are so much more calmer with him in the team. Hes been vital for our team for years, if you can't see it then I don't know.

What do you want from a holding midfielder? Do you understand their role in the team? They are there to break up play, fill gaps when CBs go up the field, offer an option for their team mates in possession and ultimately RETAIN POSSESSION. He doesn't have to 'hurt the opponents' with his passing. I'm sick of all this bullshit he has to 'hurt opponents' as you put it, with his passing. Even against Spurs he played 3 class long passes that we nearly got chances from but no thats not threatening an opponent?

When AVB arrived as our coach he talked about his philosophy to some journalist, talked about his how he likes his defensive midfielder be able to surprise opponents and play long diagonals to the full backs/wingers and since Sergio Busquets plays passes that take out 4 or 5 players a time, its set the standard ridiculously high for a holding midfielder I feel. I think some people need to settle down with all these expectations for holding midfielders, Mikel does his job very well, hes one of the best in the PL, we are so much more calmer with him in the team. Hes been vital for our team for years, if you can't see it then I don't know.

If you think being more incisive on the ball with passing is "bullshit", then I dont think I stand much chance arguing with you.

Moving the goalposts when presented with the facts, how surprising.

504aQfW.jpg

If you think being more incisive on the ball with passing is "bullshit", then I dont think I stand much chance arguing with you.

I never said its bullshit, I just said Mikel doesn't need to do more than what hes already doing. He does his role well and its important to the team.

I never said its bullshit, I just said Mikel doesn't need to do more than what hes already doing. He does his role well and its important to the team.

he dosent need to show more effort recovering? right ok he can stick to plodding back

You can't argue with the Mikel fanboys,if they did not learn anything from Saturday they never will.

We are calmer with him in the team?

It could be time to air his win/play stats again,if the two halves against Spurs were not proof enough of his negative influence on Chelsea .

bleed_blue, on 15 Sept 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:snapback.png

After 3rd Feb 2013, we have played 32 games. Mikel started 10 of these games.

Our results when Mikel started: 3 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats

Our results in the other 22 games: 17 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats.

The 2 defeats when Mikel did not start: vs Rubin Kazan away when we were leading 2-1 before Mikel came on as sub and we lost 2-3 and the Super Cup defeat to Bayern on penalties.

Add to these stats a 2-0 win over a terrible Fulham and a 1-0 loss at Spurs while on the pitch (subbed at H/T) after being dominated , after being subbed we go on to dominate and win

1-0 and were dominant.

So as well as his terrible stats we now have the contrast of the first and second half v Spurs to consider?

It is a big slap in the face from Jose we had a big problem in the 1st half at Spurs and he made the change ,some suggested that was because he was being rested for this game. He was taken off for one reson ,he was the problem and he has been dropped tonight ,all other explanations will gat a fair hearing :D:D:D .

I am delighted for one reason I want Chelsea to win . And we need to win.