Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Werner: Moving to Chelsea was a 'hard decision' but the right one after Liverpool interest

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/werner-chelsea-hard-decision-liverpool-interest/1gruhip7f4mzazonrt1clltbt

The Blues striker spoke about his transfer and how he is convinced he made the right call to link up with Frank Lampard's young side. Chelsea's new signing Timo Werner has revealed that he considered other offers, but that he chose the Stamford Bridge outfit after a charm offensive from manager Frank Lampard. 

The £47.5 million (€52m/$62m) signing from RB Leipzig was unveiled to the media following his debut against Brighton, where he impressed despite not scoring in the 3-1 away win.

For a time it looked like Werner would join Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, but they ultimately backed out of a move for the 24-year-old after the coronavirus crisis caused them to reassess their business in the transfer market.

The Germany international hinted he may have had further offers but that his first two months in west London have helped him realise that he made the right decision to join Chelsea.

"Yes, I think when I decided to leave Leipzig I talked to different clubs and next to Chelsea I spoke to other clubs," Werner said at his press conference. "For me, I don’t want to talk too much about other clubs.

"In the end, I decided for Chelsea. Liverpool had a great team, and maybe I could fit well, in the end I decided Chelsea because it was the best decision I could take. Not only the style of football. I think it was a hard decision.

"In the end but I am happy I made that decision. Now I am here, it feels right and good. It is calm and nice with these players. It is nice to be part of the team, the area where we start here and we can do well with this team in the coming months and years."

Along with Lampard, Antonio Rudiger and Petr Cech were among those who had dialogue with Werner ahead of his move to Chelsea. Still, it was the Blues boss who particularly impressed Werner with his personal touch to help convince him to sign.

"It was a strange time, we couldn't meet each other and we met each other here for the first time because of the virus," Werner said. "But he called me a lot, we had a lot of conversations, he texted me a lot and he sent me some videos where he could show me what style of football he wants to play.

"So for me those were important things to know about moving to a new club. Because I loved to play for Leipzig and everything was well for me there so it was really important for me to come to a team with a vision that fits my style of football.

"I think the whole Premier League fits very well to my style of football, because it's so fast, and fast players have really good space space to go there and play well. It was really important that he gave me the feeling that the system he wants to play will fit me very well.

"The conversation with him was also really important, he's a very nice and calm guy, who makes it clear what he wants and what his football style is and he makes it clear that you're not only a player but also a person, not like a friend because he's the manager and you have to have a respectful relationship."

Werner is part of an aggressive recruitment drive from Chelsea where they have spent around £200m ($252m) on five first team signings with more arrivals likely to come.

The Blues aim to close the gap with the likes of Liverpool, who they face on Sunday in the Premier League, and Werner added that he is here to win trophies.

"To achieve at Chelsea I come here to win titles," he continued. "Of course, Chelsea is a big club that wants to win. I am a player who wants to win every game. It is clear we want to win titles.

"In the last year we didn’t win so much but I think we have a strong and young team that can develop where we can have a long period together. We are young and want to win; it is a good way to reach what I want to. I came here to win and win titles and as many titles as possible.

"Of course, a lot of German players played in the Premier League before. It wasn’t that I saw one and thought I wanted to play in the Premier League because of him. I wanted to come to the Premier League because it is the world’s best league."

That interview is first class, he speaks brilliantly and adding to that he has a winners mind and a 'have to win' attitude.

This boy is going to be something special here you can just feel it.

One of the things Werner said in his presser was this...

"I want no excuses about needing to adapt for 10 or 15 games. We want to win and you can't have a player who needs a long time to adapt."

Alright, hes already my favourite

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Timo Werner on life in the fast lane: Scoring goals for sweets, congestion charges and living up to his nickname

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/18/timo-werner-life-fast-lane-scoring-goals-sweets-congestion-charges/

The London congestion charge may have caused Timo Werner some confusion, but, other than that, Chelsea’s new turbo-charged striker feels settled and ready to give Premier League defenders the runaround.

Born in Stuttgart, the home of car manufacturers Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, speed has always come naturally to Werner, who clocked 11.1 seconds for 100 metres as a teenager.

Now aged 24, Werner believes he would be even faster over the same distance and his speed of mind and movement were both on show during an encouraging Chelsea debut against Brighton, in which he won the penalty from which Jorginho opened the scoring.

Of all the club’s summer signings, the feeling inside Chelsea has been that Werner is the one ready to hit the ground running and live up to his nickname.

And it would be a double blow for Liverpool if the German international opened his Chelsea account against them on Sunday, given the London club beat the Premier League champions to the player dubbed ‘Turbo Timo’.

“Turbo Timo is not the worst nickname and, hopefully, I can show it suits me,” said Werner. “Being fast is a really good thing for me because it gives me a lot of opportunities in the game to score goals.

“It means I can create chances. For me, it’s a nickname I can hold and maybe people can say Turbo Timo scores a lot of goals.”

While the speed may have come naturally, Werner’s running and endurance were cultivated from an early age by his father, Gunther Schuh, who was a lower league footballer and amateur coach.

As well as having his son running laps of the football pitch that the team he coached played on, Schuh took Werner, who takes his surname from his mother, out to the hills to work on his speed and fitness.

“My dad always wanted me to be faster and he wanted to give me strength in my muscles,” said Werner. “He let me run up some hills and it helped me a lot. It taught me you have to work hard and the strength and fitness in the games doesn’t come from doing nothing. 

“It wasn’t the hills that gave me my speed, it was me thinking about how you have to train and work hard and be fit enough to go past defenders.”

Schuh also taught Werner to take goalscoring seriously from an early age, offering extra pocket money to spend on sweets for each time he hit the net and later only offering the financial incentive for goals scored with his weaker left foot or his head.

“At the beginning of my career, when I was nine or 10, we had a lot of tournaments,” said Werner. “For every goal, he didn’t give me much. It was for me to say ‘ok if I score 10 goals today I will have 10 euros’.

“It can buy me a lot of candy. It was my feeling when I was a kid. It was a joke with my dad. It made me want to score goals and I love scoring goals.”

The financial incentives have steadily increased for Werner, who Chelsea signed for £47.5million from RB Leipzig, but some of his first pay packets have been dented by the London congestion charge.

“I can speak English and I can understand most things, but it is hard to read the bills,” said Werner. “You know, the letters when they come from the Westminster (Council), or the Government, something like that. Sometimes it is very hard English and sometimes I give it to the staff here and they can tell me in easier language what they want from me.”

Other than advising his German team-mate on moving to Chelsea, Antonio Rudiger has also helped with the bills as Werner added: “Toni gave me some tips about...the congestion charge, is it? I never knew about it and it was important he helped me, otherwise I would be getting a bill everyday.”

That early determination, encouraged by his father, to hit the back of the net as often as possible has been evident throughout Werner’s professional career. He became Stuttgart’s youngest-ever scorer in the Bundesliga, aged 17 years, six months and 16 days and, six weeks later, he was the first 17-year-old to score twice in a Bundesliga game.

While at Leipzig, Werner, aged 23, became the third-youngest player to score 75 Bundesliga goals, behind Gert Muller and Dieter Muller, and he left as the club’s all-time leading scorer with 95 goals in 159 appearances.

His new manager, Frank Lampard, still holds the Chelsea scoring record, with 211 goals, but Werner believes the time was right to challenge himself once again.

“In Leipzig, I was the best Timo I can be and I learned a lot from the manager about the playing style,” said Werner. “He gave me a lot about how to improve myself in different positions. 

“For me, it was the right time to say ‘Ok I want to try something new’. It was time to move out of Germany and I wanted to go to the Premier League, where there are a lot of massive, strong defenders. 

“It was time to take the next challenge in my life because I made steps coming from Stuttgart. I got to the first team, then went to Leipzig, played for Leipzig for four years and played in the quarter finals of the Champions League in the end.

“This was, for me, a really good experience and now I want a new way to grow, To give my game some parts of English football. When I get the strengths of English football, I will get more possibilities in my game or more options in my game to do different things.”

It is official now, I am in love with Timo. He got me even quicker than Hazard. That is a lovely interview. Everything he says is just right and spot on and makes you like him even more. And quite clearly now, he is the one who said no to the Liverpool deal. And that makes Mr. Klopp sooo upset. Very well played Frank.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

It is official now, I am in love with Timo. He got me even quicker than Hazard. That is a lovely interview. Everything he says is just right and spot on and makes you like him even more. And quite clearly now, he is the one who said no to the Liverpool deal. And that makes Mr. Klopp sooo upset. Very well played Frank.

Wonder who his favorite F1 driver is. :ph34r: