Chelsea Women Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 20:19, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Really good footballer I like her a lot. If she was among a group of players, including all of our current squad, that I could pick from to rebuild a new group, she would get in. We have financial, and emotional, commitments to our existing squad members however. In what will be, at most, a 41 game season for CFCW, our current squad is, seemingly, already too big. Unless there were to be a number of departures, there was just no logical way to add Cooney-Cross. Although there is still time for players to leave, given that the window is still open in France and in Saudi, it looks unlikely that anyone else is going.

In my head at least this seems a realistic explanation of why Cooney-Cross did not join Chelsea. The logic of that argument gets blown away however, given that she signed for Arsenal. A side with an equally large squad, and a maximum of just 34 games to play during 2023/24. What do I know!

I do fear Arsenal though. Don't be fooled by the fact that they were, unluckily, knocked out the champions League at the qualifying stage. Their squad is not only large, it is full of talent. Finishing above them this season is going to be a serious, serious challenge.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 13:36, Fulham Broadway said:

Sam Kerr coming on for 2nd half v Citeh 👍

Citeh down to 10 but winning 1-0. 

I always describe this as my favourite CFCW away fixture, and sometimes fixtures, of the season, but I'm beginning to wonder why. I've been up there more than half-a-dozen times, but have never seen us win once. This was a really disappointing performance by Chelsea but, as our girls can do, they found a way to get a result despite not playing well.

• 3 weeks later...

Emma Hayes to leave Chelsea Women at end of season

https://theathletic.com/5030535/2023/11/04/emma-hayes-Chelsea-leaves/

KINGSTON UPON THAMES, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 14: Emma Hayes, Manager of Chelsea looks on prior to the Barclays Women´s Super League match between Chelsea FC  and West Ham United at Kingsmeadow on October 14, 2023 in Kingston upon Thames, England. (Photo by Harriet Lander - Chelsea FC/Chelsea FC via Getty Images)

Chelsea Women have confirmed that manager Emma Hayes will leave at the end of the season.

Hayes joined Chelsea in 2012 and throughout her time with the club, she secured six Women’s Super League (WSL) titles, five FA Cups, two FA Women’s League Cups, one FA Women’s Spring Series trophy, and one Women’s Community Shield.

Chelsea’s co-sporting directors Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley said: “Emma has been one of the biggest drivers of change in women’s football. Her achievements at Chelsea are unrivalled and will live in the club’s history forever.

“Given everything she has contributed to Chelsea in over a decade with the club, and the legacy she leaves behind, we would never stand in her way when she felt it was the right time to pursue a new challenge.

“We are pleased that she will remain with the club for the remainder of the season to give us the time to identify her successor.

“There will be plenty of time to celebrate Emma’s many achievements at the club and to give her the farewell she deserves, but for now, as she always has been, Emma will be solely focused on making this season as successful as possible for Chelsea.”

Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly and co-controlling owner Behdad Eghbali added: “Emma’s contribution to Chelsea cannot be understated. She has been a pioneer in women’s football and is hugely respected within the game. We look forward to continuing to work together over the coming months.”

The 47-year-old guided Chelsea to a domestic treble in 2021, and has been named manager of the season six times, as well as LMA WSL manager of the season on five occasions.

Last year, Hayes was awarded with an OBE for her services to football. This followed an MBE she received in 2016.

Chelsea Women are currently top of the WSL and are next in action this Sunday away to Everton.