Chelsea Women Thread

At least the ladies are doing their job today. All we need is a point here but can’t see anything other than a win to cap off another perfect domestic season. wsl trophy  not leaving for another year. 

10 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

As Emma says, Guro Reiten should have won the poll but, the fact that she didn't, is excellent news!

If voting was limited to fans who watch the women's team every week, it would have been Impossible for Sam to gather more votes than Guro. In one poll among Kingsmeadow regulars Guro is comfortably beating Sam, and everyone else in the squad, combined. It's not even close. This can only mean that lots of votes in the club's official poll have come from people who, so far, have not followed the women's team closely. Perhaps they have mainly been able to catch the big games. In which case, Sam's high name recognition, and her Drogba like habit of finding the net on the biggest occasions, would have skewed the voting towards her.

If more Chelsea fans are noticing the women's team, even if that notice is pretty casual at the moment, that's great news in my opinion. I understand that not everyone is interested enough to even give women's football a try. I know that not everyone who does give it a try finds that they want to keep watching, but if some people have become interested enough to watch a few games and cast a player of the season vote, this is very positive. Step by step.

Now to explain why the players voted for Sam not Guro. 🙂 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

5 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Exciting stuff! I wonder who it might be. Can't be long till we know but still fun to guess in the meantime. 🙂

The guess that comes to mind immediately is Ona Batlle, but that can't be right can it? We have Eve, we're rumoured to be signing Amy Lawrence, and now a third starting quality right back? It seems overkill. I suppose Amy could be slated to play at left back, or perhaps high wide-right, but what then for Johanna Rytting-Kaneryd? I can't quite see it and, in any case, I can't convince myself that Batlle would leave United for another WSL club, nevermind the fact that she is herself rumored to be returning to Barcelona. If not her then who? I have no idea. 🙂

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, Johnnyeye said:

Barca women win the CL again, after trailing 2-0 to Wolfsburg they turned it around and won 3-2.

Fridolina Rolfö , my favourite Swedish national team player, scored the winner

she lost a CL final when she was on Wolfsburg 3 years back, and was CL runner up again last year with Barca versus Lyon, plus lost 2 Gold medal Olympic finals (that 2020 loss v Canada just gutted me) so I am very happy for her

PXqqAKhCPmwGysWwKkEfiah0Ix0.jpg?f=Regular&w=960&$p$f$w=e3e2a49

Edited by Vesper