Chelsea Women Thread

On 18/02/2023 at 05:24, OhForAGreavsie said:

With Sam Kerr becoming the first woman ever to win the club's Goal of The Moth poll in January, here is an early CFCW candidate for February's award. As you watch this goal, bear in mind that Reece's little sister is right footed. Two-footedness is such an important attribute for professional footballers. I don't say they all have to rise to the level where they can do this, but no more Chelsea players please who are totally confined to one foot only. Look at the way this hampers Cucu's game for example.

Was that game played behind closed doors there doesn't seem to be a single person there !

54 minutes ago, Hot Dawg said:

Was that game played behind closed doors there doesn't seem to be a single person there !

I was! Along with a lot of other Blues.

The game was played at Brisbane Road where they only open one stand for Tottenham Women's games. Trouble is it's the one where the cameras are, so you don't see the fans on screen. I went there to watch The Blues take on Spurs twice in 12 days recently. First time I've been to Orient's ground since a Men's FA Cup game in 1978.

P.S. Lauren's goal against Spurs won the club's goal of the month award for February. After never having topped the poll before, this makes two consecutive goal of the month wins for CFCW players following Sam Kerr's win in January.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

One thing that seems to be overlooked or not discussed is the attendances at women's football. It's really cheap to get in but up and down the country they are playing in empty or near empty stadiums. Even the ones where their is a decent crowd there's always a sterile atmosphere akin to a school sports day.

I'll probably get some stick for this but I don't know a single person who has any interest in women's football at league level certainly. I don't know how much it would cost Birmingham to stage a match but I very much doubt they make a penny in profit.

Edited by Hot Dawg

Great result to get away from home at one of the very best teams in Europe. Good finish for the goal and great tactical display to withstand the onslaught as well. Am confident they will see this through now. Even though this was the hardest possible game at this point, the field is still incredibly strong if they go through.

22 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

MOTD live Man City c Chelsea.

Neither have lost since September but we usually batter them

Not yesterday sadly. Day started badly when the supporter coach was over an hour-and-a-half late, followed by the driver having to take a mandatory 45-minute break at the motorway services stop. All of which meant some Blues fans missed kick-off. Then the day got worse (Lost 2-0). In truth, our form hasn't been great for a while so when you throw in 5 games in 19-days, injuries, and a third straight big away fixture, it was always going to be a tough result to get.

On to Thursday night at The Bridge, when the girls will attempt to reach their third Champions League semi-final in five seasons. They lead European Champions Lyon 1-0 after the away leg. Tickets available here. Could be a good chance to check out the hospitality seats, without having to pay the exorbitant prices charged normally.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Not yesterday sadly. Day started badly when the supporter coach was over an hour-and-a-half late, followed by the driver having to take a mandatory 45-minute break at the motorway services stop. All of which meant some Blues fans missed kick-off. Then the day got worse (Lost 2-0). In truth, our form hasn't been great for a while so when you throw in 5 games in 16-days, injuries, and a third straight big away fixture, it was always going to be a tough result to get.

On to Thursday night at The Bridge, when the girls will attempt to reach their third Champions League semi-final in five seasons. They lead European Champions Lyon 1-0 after the away leg. Tickets available here. Could be a good chance to check out the hospitality seats, without having to pay the exorbitant prices charged normally.

Cheers for that OFAG. We weren't on form yesterday, and as you say not recently. Twice away in recent years have seen the men play away v Citeh and there were the same problems with the coaches held up and we all got in 15 mins late. Getting out was worse with even more delays.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

Good outcome, shite performance

I've reached a controversial opinion. It's time to look more critically at Emma Hayes. She has won a lot but her team has been stagnating, while others are improving. Too many of her buys sell the club short in that they are not the cream of the crop players we should be looking at.

4 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

People are underestimating Lyon - most successful womens team in the World since 2010

Exactly. They are a force , yet we dominated them in the first game. If Kerr had scored that early Chance yesterday the game would have been different. No need to be overly critical of the performance. At this stage it is all about results. 

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I've reached a controversial opinion. It's time to look more critically at Emma Hayes. She has won a lot but her team has been stagnating, while others are improving. Too many of her buys sell the club short in that they are not the cream of the crop players we should be looking at.

This  might be a good point. The coaching&recruiting for women is a lot like Conte/Tuchel era.

like those two, Hayes seems to be able to inject a winning mentality into the team but it has stopped evolving at some point - on the pitch and on the transfer market.  There are still really good tho and have a few years left at the top. 

51 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

People are underestimating Lyon - most successful womens team in the World since 2010

Possibly, but they look way short of their best this term. Arsenal thoroughly outplayed us at The Emirates despite the fact that we stole a point. They outplayed us at Kingsmeadow in the cup game but we made our chances count and won. They made us look a very, very ordinary side at Selhurst Park in the League Cup Final. Lyon were not able to do that to us in either leg of the quarter-final but Man City did four days before. It isn't even just the blue half of Manchester because Utd were comfortably the better side in the recent league game at KM though we were severely hit by injuries that day so maybe we shouldn't count it.

I've felt for a long time that we are not as good a side as we should be. We have the medals to show that we have been better than the domestic opposition but they have all progressed while we have not. A refresh is necessary I feel and, personally, I'd be ok if that was guided by a new manager.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie