Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

• 1 month later...

Lol people again find a reason to blame Kepa? What is his fault now? Pope saves or Brighton rejected offer?

“We are so happy with him. He is showing great commitment in adapting to new demands from Toni, from the coaching staff, and the goalkeeping coach him and Hilario are working.

“We are so happy with him and he is a fantastic keeper.”

-Mauricio Pochettino; source: Hayters TV

Think its fair to say one or even twice new CMs is probably going to be our first priority.

Cannot see us replacing Kepa this season in all honestly, particularly as we cannot even seem to get a CM in the door. Would imagine that will be on next seasons to do list as ultimately, Poch seems keen on giving him a chance.

Barring a minor miracle in terms of someone who is much better coming available at a reasonable price, I think a back up GK is probably more likely than a new number 1 because the bloke who was third choice last year, Bettinelli, is absolutely awful and he cannot be number 2 no way.

53 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Lol people again find a reason to blame Kepa? What is his fault now? Pope saves or Brighton rejected offer?

“We are so happy with him. He is showing great commitment in adapting to new demands from Toni, from the coaching staff, and the goalkeeping coach him and Hilario are working.

“We are so happy with him and he is a fantastic keeper.”

-Mauricio Pochettino; source: Hayters TV

I really don't get opinions like this. Are you talking specifically about a friendly game? If you ever played for fun like I did, a remotely competitive game vs a friendly/pickup is literally a different sport.

I'm not criticizing your opinion, because you did not give it in this particular post, but I assume you may think Kepa is a good/decent goalie. Here we just agree to disagree and move on.

The part that I don't understand is that you are using someone else's opinion, or rather not even that, an official statement from the club/manager which IMO only shows that the club is resigned with the current situation. And yet you present it as if it were some kind of proof of quality. What did you expect them to say? "Kepa is a poor goalkeeper, really not good enough at this level, but it's what we got?" 🤷‍♂️

Speaking for myself, but think I'm not alone here, I don't think Kepa makes "mistakes;" it's not something that he can correct here and there. He just does not have the reach of a top goalie. He will always be vulnerable to shots from afar. I honestly wish that was not the case, and that he became the goalie we always wanted him to be, but tbh I always thought his signing was a bit too much wishful thinking.

I was huge Kepa believer when everyone was trashing him and I still kinda am, but I'm aware he won't overcome certain level, that's it. He is decent, but not top-of-the-world goalie. And what is more, he is electric. The patches when he is dependable are shorter or longer, but he won't give confidence to the team, they will always expect the blunder in the back of their heads. Strange we kinda given up on Maignan and Onana very easily.

I wouldn't draw much conclusions from friendly, but it was exactly what we have since forever. Quite ironic we have replaced literally everything in the team and yet conceded on classic Cucu-Kepa line. Was the goal his fault? No, but prime Mendy was recovering this kind of shots, so did Oblak etc.

Fair play for Poch for not bashing mentally fragile player, but if it's going to be a Kepa-Slonina rivalry, it's going to be a lot of frustration.

Just think about Cech times - we had huge confidence boost and rivals were already annoyed before kickoff knowing our last instance is this unbeatable mofo between the posts. Kepa is average gk, while we need the statement kind of GK I think.

Edited by Vegetable

49 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I really don't get opinions like this. Are you talking specifically about a friendly game? If you ever played for fun like I did, a remotely competitive game vs a friendly/pickup is literally a different sport.

I'm not criticizing your opinion, because you did not give it in this particular post, but I assume you may think Kepa is a good/decent goalie. Here we just agree to disagree and move on.

The part that I don't understand is that you are using someone else's opinion, or rather not even that, an official statement from the club/manager which IMO only shows that the club is resigned with the current situation. And yet you present it as if it were some kind of proof of quality. What did you expect them to say? "Kepa is a poor goalkeeper, really not good enough at this level, but it's what we got?" 🤷‍♂️

Speaking for myself, but think I'm not alone here, I don't think Kepa makes "mistakes;" it's not something that he can correct here and there. He just does not have the reach of a top goalie. He will always be vulnerable to shots from afar. I honestly wish that was not the case, and that he became the goalie we always wanted him to be, but tbh I always thought his signing was a bit too much wishful thinking.

I just find it weird that people come to Kepa thread after a game he did nothing wrong to bash him. He is always a scapegoat even tho he was very solid under 3 different managers except Lampard of course. 

14 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I was huge Kepa believer when everyone was trashing him and I still kinda am, but I'm aware he won't overcome certain level, that's it. He is decent, but not top-of-the-world goalie. And what is more, he is electric. The patches when he is dependable are shorter or longer, but he won't give confidence to the team, they will always expect the blunder in the back of their heads. Strange we kinda given up on Maignan and Onana very easily.

I wouldn't draw much conclusions from friendly, but it was exactly what we have since forever. Quite ironic we have replaced literally everything in the team and yet conceded on classic Cucu-Kepa line. Was the goal his fault? No, but prime Mendy was recovering this kind of shots, so did Oblak etc.

Fair play for Poch for not bashing mentally fragile player, but if it's going to be a Kepa-Slonina rivalry, it's going to be a lot of frustration.

Just think about Cech times - we had huge confidence boost and rivals were already annoyed before kickoff knowing our last instance is this unbeatable mofo between the posts. Kepa is average gk, while we need the statement kind of GK I think.

Ah good point. I was focusing on the main technical aspect I dislike about his game, but his demeanor as a goalie isn't great either.

Man... Cech and then the snake.... We had it good.

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I just find it weird that people come to Kepa thread after a game he did nothing wrong to bash him. He is always a scapegoat even tho he was very solid under 3 different managers except Lampard of course. 

Ah got you... yeah I can't comment on that because, like I said, friendlies are glorified training sessions to me.

Just thought weird to quote what the manager said, as he will aways praise his player: it's not only *his* player, but also a club asset. Managers get in trouble when publicly criticizing their players as it may affect finances; the players don't like it and neither does the club. When that happens is usually the first clue that the manager is about to get sacked.

Edited by robsblubot

Barella is ok but not what we need. We basically need a defensive body guard for Enzo to free him up. Barella is tiny and not a DM. He could be backup to Enzo but not a partner.

But the overall point is true. It is ridiculous we have no alternatives to Caicedo lined up. When are willing to drop 80m on a DM, the market literally becomes every goddamn DM there is. In fact, it is way more difficult to spend more than 80m on a DM than it is to spend less on one. This is like wanting to buy a quality compact car, going to the car dealership and saying "I want the electric Mini SE Convertible and I give you 40k for it" - "well it's 52k" - "Ok here are 45" - "It's still 52k" - "wHY dO i HaVE nO oPtIOns"

In fact just as with the compact car there is almost no point to spend a ton of money on a DM (that is not prime Makelele, Kante or Viera). Just go buy fkin Golf, it will do the job just fine.

23 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

He's never been 'solid' though compared to Cudicini, Cech, or the big nosed one.. Fucking liability. Our most overpriced player. You'd agree if he was English 😆

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

He's never been 'solid' though compared to Cudicini, Cech, or the big nosed one.. Fucking liability. Our most overpriced player. You'd agree if he was English 😆

Not remotely solid , he’s terrible.