Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

9 minutes ago, kc_blue said:

My guess is he'll get a chance to start one of the next 3 games but most likely Spurs or next weekend.  It's a shame, I'd love to see him against Arsenal this weekend, especially after the way he tore Bellerin up in preseason.  Maybe he'll get an appearance off the bench.

I'd agree.  I think Spurs mid-week.  Possibly a bench appearance this weekend and I don't think Higuain will be available, which puts us back to Willian - Hazard - Pedro with Giroud and CHO on the bench.

44 minutes ago, LAM09 said:
2 hours ago, scargo said:
Money ain't the most important thing. He needs playing time.
Everything is useless if he sits on the bench in the next game. 
He won't change his mind if he doesn't get a chance right away.

Willian's goal was probably the worse thing for me. I don't expect him to play until next Sunday & this is precisely why he's keeping his options open.

Higuain is coming soon, then Hazard return to LW. Odoi will compete with Willian & Pedro in one position.

Will Sarri put Odoi in the starting lineup for the rest of the season? I don't think so,, 

19 minutes ago, scargo said:

Will Sarri put Odoi in the starting lineup for the rest of the season? I don't think so,, 

We'll just have to wait and see.  I'm not sure how many starts he'll make, hopefully some, but I'm optimistic he'll get playing time.  I think he's following along the same route that RLC has taken this season, up until his injury.  He's slowly being given minutes and showing Sarri that he has what it takes.  More minutes follow.  Eventually he's worked himself into the rotation. 

We'll never know what would have happened without the interest from Bayern but I believe that this was the plan from the beginning.  It's hard to just dump a 17 year old, now 18, into a team and say here you go.  It's hard on him and it's hard on the older players who may feel like they getting cast aside without a chance.  Team chemistry is important.  People bring up that Sarri had Moses on the bench ahead of CHO early in the year.  That's really how it should be.  Moses didn't get a lot of chances, but he did get a chance.  Now CHO has shown more and is ahead of him on merit, not from preseason form but from actual performances in games that matter.  Now he's worked up into the rotation and he'll get more chances to impress and prove he deserves more game time and/or starts.  In my mind, that's exactly how a youth should be integrated into a team.

1 hour ago, kc_blue said:

We'll just have to wait and see.  I'm not sure how many starts he'll make, hopefully some, but I'm optimistic he'll get playing time.  I think he's following along the same route that RLC has taken this season, up until his injury.  He's slowly being given minutes and showing Sarri that he has what it takes.  More minutes follow.  Eventually he's worked himself into the rotation. 

We'll never know what would have happened without the interest from Bayern but I believe that this was the plan from the beginning.  It's hard to just dump a 17 year old, now 18, into a team and say here you go.  It's hard on him and it's hard on the older players who may feel like they getting cast aside without a chance.  Team chemistry is important.  People bring up that Sarri had Moses on the bench ahead of CHO early in the year.  That's really how it should be.  Moses didn't get a lot of chances, but he did get a chance.  Now CHO has shown more and is ahead of him on merit, not from preseason form but from actual performances in games that matter.  Now he's worked up into the rotation and he'll get more chances to impress and prove he deserves more game time and/or starts.  In my mind, that's exactly how a youth should be integrated into a team.

I do hear what you say and my heart agrees with you that feelings of players need to be taken into account.

But then my cold uncaring head thats only concerned about picking the best players for the team thinks that whoever is best on the day and is best for the team in general should be selected.

Moses really doesn't fit into a Saeei team. CHO in pre season was everything we hoped he would be. He was great against the gooners and took Belerin apart. I know that I expected to see more of him than we have done.

But at the end of the day Sarri sees all. I desperately hope that he doesn't just pick players out of favoritism and its because of what he sees in training etc.

Its bloody hard to decide just how to bring yoof into the 1st team.

I liked the way Mou wanted to bling Happy in. Instead of shipping him out he wanted to train him on site. Put him on the bench to get him climatized and stop his nerves.Gave him time here n there. But he had JT who was also helping him a lot to become better mentally to handle it.

We dont have enough real leaders in the team apart from Dave and probably Magic Box with that love for the team who would be able to get thru to CHO on a personal level and advise him (and other incoming yoof)  it might be best for them and us if he was patient and worked on himself and getting stronger here.

This is one reason I think bringing in our old legends would help us a lot.

3 hours ago, scargo said:

Higuain is coming soon, then Hazard return to LW. Odoi will compete with Willian & Pedro in one position.

I really don't understand his blind faith in some players. Experience isn't everything contrary to his selection on a weekly basis.

16 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I really don't understand his blind faith in some players. Experience isn't everything contrary to his selection on a weekly basis.

Problem is that every manager has their fave gotos.

Not the 1st manager we've had thats done it and doubt very much he shall be the last.

1 minute ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Just super f***ing annoying that he persists with such a uselss winger and it’s driving our best academy prospect out of the club.

I've suggested us using our own hitman to get him sorted. Then hire him out round the PL - we would make a fortune!

4 hours ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Just super f***ing annoying that he persists with such a uselss winger and it’s driving our best academy prospect out of the club.

I get this feeling but let's be honest, CHO needs to man up and realize he's not going to just be handed a starting spot.  He's going to have to compete and show he's the best option.  And that's how it'll be wherever he goes.  And that's how it'll be for as long as he plays.  He just turned 18 and he's getting time in the first team.  I don't think he should be expecting a lot more then he's had so far.  Personally I would have played him more but I understand not wanting to rush him.  Everyone just needs a little more patience.

1 hour ago, kc_blue said:

I get this feeling but let's be honest, CHO needs to man up and realize he's not going to just be handed a starting spot.  He's going to have to compete and show he's the best option.  And that's how it'll be wherever he goes.  And that's how it'll be for as long as he plays.  He just turned 18 and he's getting time in the first team.  I don't think he should be expecting a lot more then he's had so far.  Personally I would have played him more but I understand not wanting to rush him.  Everyone just needs a little more patience.

That's true. But I don't think he wants to be handed a starting spot, just to get a look in and start EPL games from time to time. But I guess he would take it easier if a genuine quality winger would play over him not Willian. On the other hand leaving for BAyern would be just as short-sighted. Gnabry and Coman will surely be ahead of him in the pecking order and I am dead cert Bayern will buy a genuine world class winger in summer too. With Eden leaving his competition here will be Pedro/Willian and Pulisic, all three hardly world beaters. 

But it looks like the tide has turned anyway. Most papers such as bild and mirror who were convinced he would leave are now reporting he is considering a u-turn with the money we have offered him. Still a very good possibility that he used Bayern to improve his negotiation position, which would not surprise me with the kids these days. 

42 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

That's true. But I don't think he wants to be handed a starting spot, just to get a look in and start EPL games from time to time. But I guess he would take it easier if a genuine quality winger would play over him not Willian.

I don't disagree with this at all.  Just a bit of patience required I think.

43 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

But it looks like the tide has turned anyway. Most papers such as bild and mirror who were convinced he would leave are now reporting he is considering a u-turn with the money we have offered him. Still a very good possibility that he used Bayern to improve his negotiation position, which would not surprise me with the kids these days. 

I always felt this was the real issue.  Playing time is part of it, but honestly he's breaking into the first team now.

19 minutes ago, the wes said:

According to BBC sport we are in talks with CHO over a new contract 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46921275

70k a week is not bad for 18 year old to earn 

We did it too early with RLC and over hyped him far too early.

Lets hope CHO is different.

44 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

70k for a 18 year old is ridiculous. These kids get paid too much way too early. Some kind of American style wage cap should be introduced

Maybe I'm too old school but I believe that players of that age should be washing the cars of their managers, doing the laundry of the first team etc. There's also a perfectly good reason why that's precisely the age when historically speaking young people have done their military service – it's a crucial period in building character and becoming a balanced adult. Give them 70k a week at that age and all you get is a complacent man child.

Pretty sure that the days of the yoof cleaning players boots and that are far gone!

They now turn up for practice in their 200mph sports cars after they've had their nails done.