The Conte Thread

8 hours ago, Beigl said:

I just came here to appreciate that now we have a manager, who isn´t afraid to play good football against a top team. In both games against Atletico we were the far better side and yesterday only our abysmal finishing prevented us from winning by atleast three goals. I know we were weaker when we played Atletico in 2014, but it´s good to see that the days when we had 7 defenders in the starting XI to paper over the managers deficits are gone. 

Were we really weaker in 2014 than now? If you compare the players we've got now and back then, it feels they're pretty much the same. At the end of the day, it all came down to the manager's approach. One chose to be negative, the other chose to be positive. That being said, it'll be interesting to see how Conte approaches 2-legged ties. It's one thing to be attack-minded in the group stage, it's another to do in the knockout stage, where the stakes are a lot higher.

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

I hope Conte leaves at the end of this season. The team isn't going nowhere as long as he is the manager. He was the right man to bring stability back, but he is not he man to bring the team to the next level. 

What?

Also, if the team ISN’T going nowhere, then where is it going?

9 hours ago, Beigl said:

I just came here to appreciate that now we have a manager, who isn´t afraid to play good football against a top team. In both games against Atletico we were the far better side and yesterday only our abysmal finishing prevented us from winning by atleast three goals. I know we were weaker when we played Atletico in 2014, but it´s good to see that the days when we had 7 defenders in the starting XI to paper over the managers deficits are gone. 

I read this post in a comment where @Jason had quoted it and, knowing the attitude of many posters on this topic, expected it to attract plenty of likes. Unsurpringly, it has done but this does not stop it being wrong, and it is wrong. Antonio cuts his clothes to suit his cloth. Give him the 13/14 squad and he’d produce a different game plan. As his predecessors did with the squads at their disposal.

By the way, there was a post yesterday expressing exasperation with Antonio’s defensive tactics so, as usual, not everyone sees things the same way. The boss is doing what he can with what he’s got. Meanwhile, I love what he’s saying about building for the future. Let’s hope Roman backs him with patience and transfer activity. 

I read this post in a comment where [mention=4712]Jason[/mention] had quoted it and, knowing the attitude of many posters on this topic, expected it to attract plenty of likes. Unsurpringly, it has done but this does not stop it being wrong, and it is wrong. Antonio cuts his clothes to suit his cloth. Give him the 13/14 squad and he’d produce a different game plan. As his predecessors did. 
By the way, there was a post yesterday expressing exasperation with Antonio’s defensive tactics so, as usual, not everyone sees things the same way. The boss is doing what he can with what he’s got. Meanwhile, I love what he’s saying about building for the future. Let’s hope Roman backs him with patience and transfer activity. 

I feel that Mourinho's approach was too defensive minded in the away game, our squad was top 10 material in europe. For me there is a big difference between playing good defensively like Atletico or just park the bus and give the ball to Hazard and hope for the best. It's not like we played against a very attacking minded opponent. With an away goal we probably would have gone trough to the final.

47 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I read this post in a comment where @Jason quoted it and expected it to be popular. Unsurpringly, knowing the attitudes of many posters on this topic, it is indeed so. That does not stop it being wrong however, and it is wrong. Antonio cuts his clothes to suit his cloth. Give him the 13/14 squad and he’d produce a different game plan. As his predecessors did. 

By the way, there was a post yesterday expressing exasperation with Antonio’s defensive tactics. The boss is doing what he can with what he’s got. Meanwhile, I love what he’s saying about building for the future. Let’s hope Roman backs him with patience and transfer activity. 

Wow, really? :doh: Not suggesting for one moment Conte will park the bus and hope for the best like we did under Mourinho. Pretty sure we won't. But is it wrong to suggest Conte may approach the knockout stage games more cautiously than he has in the group stage given it will be two-legged affairs and there's the away goals rule? For the record, I for one am liking how Conte is managing the squad right now, especially given the players he has at his disposal. Certainly not going overboard like some has and demanding we should be playing attacking football in every game just for the sake of it. Our squad has its limits at the moment and I applaud Conte for maximizing that as much as possible. If you read the post-match reactions in this forum, especially after big games, maybe you might notice all that.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wow, really? :doh: Not suggesting for one moment Conte will park the bus and hope for the best like we did under Mourinho. Pretty sure we won't. But is it wrong to suggest Conte may approach the knockout stage games more cautiously than he has in the group stage given it will be two-legged affairs and there's the away goals rule? For the record, I for one am liking how Conte is managing the squad right now, especially given the players he has at his disposal. Certainly not going overboard like some has and demanding we should be playing attacking football in every game just for the sake of it. Our squad has its limits at the moment and I applaud Conte for maximizing that as much as possible. If you read the post-match reactions in this forum, especially after big games, maybe you might notice all that.

Not really sure what you’re saying here, or maybe I should say it does not seem you know what I’m saying. I did the post at halftime in the CLFC game vs Spurs (4-1 Blues) and made a few edits after posting. Maybe the latest version is better expressed. 

18 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Not really sure what you’re saying here, or maybe I should say it does not seem you know what I’m saying. I did the post at halftime in the CLFC game vs Spurs (4-1 Blues) and made a few edits after posting. Maybe the latest version is better expressed. 

No, I totally get your point about Conte. What I don't get is you suddenly accusing me of making a point just to get likes, just because you don't agree.

So much melodrama over Conte parking the buss or not, playing attractive or not. Who the fuck cares, he is maximizing everything he can do this squad. If the board supported him in the market and he would fail afterwards playing sexy football or effective football I can understand but right now he is forced to park the bus against the likes of City because his fucking squad has no depth ffs. Bats is a Everton player at maximum and we hope he does the job against the likes of City. Willian is a circus clown impersonating a football player. Bakayoko? LOL

1 hour ago, Jason said:

No, I totally get your point about Conte. What I don't get is you suddenly accusing me of making a point just to get likes, just because you don't agree.

Wrong on two counts!

First, there was no accusation. I simply said that, having read the post to which I replied, I knew it would be popular. That is not at all the same as saying it was posted for popularity.

Second, it was not your post to which I replied!!

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Wrong on two counts!

First, there was no accusation. I simply said that, having read the post to which I replied, I knew it would be popular. That is not at all the same as saying it was posted for popularity.

Second, it was not your post to which I replied!!

Seems I may have misunderstood who you were addressing in the post. Apologies.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Seems I may have misunderstood who you were addressing in the post. Apologies.

giphy.gif

Even if I had been addressing you, you’d still have misunderstood since my comment was neither an accusation of courting popularity, nor a criticism of Antonio’s flexible tactics, but appology accepted. Thank you.

Do people really accuse each other of posting for popularity? Amazing. 

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Even if I had been addressing you, you’d still have misunderstood since my comment was neither an accusation of courting popularity, nor a criticism of Antonio’s flexible tactics, but appology accepted. Thank you.

I don't think you was around during the 'member of the month' days!!

It was dramas!

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Yeah it used to be. But compared to those days the forum is pretty much dead, or rather on life support, there are nearly not enough active members anymore to claim some sort of "popularity".

Talking about Conte and his tactics, I haven't seen him park the bus yet. Well, not in the sense we imagine it like it was under Mourinho. Of course I haven't seen EVERY game, maybe there were some, but if there were, then I believe it was mainly due to the opponent not letting us play. Mourinho conceded possession intentionally, he played 7 defenders intentionally, it is his twisted philosophy. No club managed by Mourinho will ever play like a big club, the same cannot be said about Conte... give him the necessary ingredients and there will be no necessity to park anything. Conte actually knows how to train attacking patterns, he doesn't rely on one "magician" to do it all. Him and Mou have absolutely nothing in common.

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

That part I did not misunderstand. Never disagreed with it. In fact, I reiterated my point to agree with that.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

That part I did not misunderstand. Never disagreed with it. In fact, I reiterated my point to agree with that.

Well your initial reply to me, here reads as a defence of Antonio from some criticism you think I'm making but, not you've put me straight on that, all misunderstandings are cleared up. Phew!

4 minutes ago, iceboy said:

Very interesting comments from Conte. He's so far lost to Burnley, Palace (the worst team in the league at that point) and West Ham. He really has no excuse and I know he likes making excuses