The Mourinho Thread

I might get stick for this... but this is what I believe:

Jose hasnt done anything so far this season to make us or Roman Abramovich (who essentially wants the same thing as us: Good football and trophies) feel satisfied. Dont get me wrong. I love Jose as much as the next person but I didnt expect this start to the season. Points and unattractive football is one thing, unattractive football and no points is another. He's struggled to find the correct combination in midfield and hasnt made our defense as immaculate as we expected from him. If any other manager had a start like this (especially at moments like the home loss to Basel or the shocking performance against Newcastle) we'd be on his ass !!

Di Matteo and Rafa had us playing free flowing, enjoyable football and seemed to keep most of our players happy. Yes this didnt result in a particularly successful campaign but there were times in last seasons campaign where we looked unplayable. For example, Utd at Home in the prem before the 2 sendings off and the 2 Utd goals. The second half against Utd in the FA Cup. The first half of the Arsenal game at home in the League. West Ham at home for the entire game and for the first half in the away game. Villa at the Bridge. We were electrifying for the most part of the first 3 months in the league.

The one game that we played champagne football so far this season was the Hull City (who were alot like a deer in the headlights if you ask me) match at home and that wasn't the entire game, that was only for the first half. On the flip side, there were performances like the Newcastle game, the United game, the Everton game, Basel, West Brom which were all poor displays either at the back or offensively.

With all the talent at Jose's disposal, I and surely the entire TC community expected better.

Jose hasnt done anything so far this season to make us or Roman Abramovich (who essentially wants the same thing as us: Good football and trophies) feel satisfied. Dont get me wrong. I love Jose as much as the next person but I didnt expect this start to the season. Points and unattractive football is one thing, unattractive football and no points is another. He's struggled to find the correct combination in midfield and hasnt made our defense as immaculate as we expected from him. If any other manager had a start like this (especially at moments like the home loss to Basel or the shocking performance against Newcastle) we'd be on his ass !!

Di Matteo and Rafa had us playing free flowing, enjoyable football and seemed to keep most of our players happy. Yes this didnt result in a particularly successful campaign but there were times in last seasons campaign where we looked unplayable. For example, Utd at Home in the prem before the 2 sendings off and the 2 Utd goals. The second half against Utd in the FA Cup. The first half of the Arsenal game at home in the League. West Ham at home for the entire game and for the first half in the away game. Villa at the Bridge. We were electrifying for the most part of the first 3 months in the league.

The one game that we played champagne football so far this season was the Hull City (who were alot like a deer in the headlights if you ask me) match at home and that wasn't the entire game, that was only for the first half. On the flip side, there were performances like the Newcastle game, the United game, the Everton game, Basel, West Brom which were all poor displays either at the back or offensively.

With all the talent at Jose's disposal, I and surely the entire TC community expected better.

I'll also get stick for this.

I think it's too premature to make any sort of analysis, let alone assess his appointment and work. I think José has a challenge at his hands and he may be struggling more than some expected, but just as much as others. As part of the TC community I didn't expect better and I'll quote some posts of mine from 3 months ago saying so... I think expecting everything to be solved or just a bit jump of quality this calendar year isn't realistic - although possible as a rare case - I think he needs time and he keeps making tests because the team keeps showing him problems. He'll find the best team, he'll stick with that team. I don't think it's the expected thing to happen in November...

Also I didn't get the 'no points' statement... we're 4 pts behind the leaders in Premier League and we're leaders in our Champions League group. Where is the lack of points exactly? How many points should we have anyway?

Also I didn't get the 'no points' statement... we're 4 pts behind the leaders in Premier League and we're leaders in our Champions League group. Where is the lack of points exactly? How many points should we have anyway?

Metaphorically i mean that we're not getting the points as desired.

Metaphorically i mean that we're not getting the points as desired.

I know you didn't mean literally, which is why I pointed out how close we are to the leaders and how we lead our CL group, which means is more about certain expectations like leading the League - as if we were the only decent or good side - rather than we realistically having a problem with the points we have so far.

It's the expectation that is a problem here as we're still well positioned to win the league in 27 rounds from now in the 81 points that are still at stake.

edit: btw here is one of my posts where I said after just 2 games (two wins and one of them the best football we played so far, even if only for two matches):

I love this quote by him in the article:

And that's the Mourinho I've been repeatedly telling has been training RM for the past three seasons.

If anyone here expects the 2004-07-Mourinho to have returned, prepare yourselves for something else.

The man completely changed his view on football and while there are many things that continue the same from his first spell here, how he approaches the game isn't one of them.

He's been very effective with this new mentality in RM (imo) and I have no doubts he'll be the same here, especially because we have the players for it. He's betting a lot on André - although I'm still not convinced André will become what he hopes he will. He will be very careful with Lukaku and see if he can also become what he aims. I don't feel like I know both players enough to say, but if they aren't what he needs them to be, he'll bring others. Hazard, Oscar, Kevin, Moses in addition to those two are the ones he's going to watch closely.

I'm so excited about his time here with us. This season is the complicated one, the transitional, and it'd be great if we could bite one of the big trophies, but next season will be the hit. And from there on I think we may have the chance to become the next 'it' club in the world.

sweetie, you're not understanding my point at all.

He's here to create a new style of playing and that requires time. It has little to do with winning titles. My post was about Mourinho creating a hit team, the team everyone will talk about. Just like Barça has been and now Bayern is. He has the quality to do that and while he doesn't have all players now, he has a few of them that will mature into the next generation of A players and a few more might continue to join. Read carefully what I've written. It's about changing our style because he's changed his. And becoming a reference in the world of football. It requires time and those young players to mature.

If we happen to win titles in the between, great and I believe we will. Next year I believe we'll be able to repeat the first 30 minutes against Hull to a T and for nearly 90 minutes in most matches already. This season we might do that a few times, but we won't do another few times. That's what I'm talking about. Titles are consequence of the philosophy and style. And let's not forget we have really hard competition in EPL - let alone in Europe.

And you said well in your post. RM had the second best squad in the world at the time. I'm not sure currently we make the top5 or even the best squad in England right now.

I think comparing this season to the 2004/05 is a bit of a stretch. The players were older, more experienced... a complete different profile. Again it's not only me saying it, José said it just yesterday...

My point is - as a RM fan I can say - in 2010 (from Aug-Dec) the team was still a mess tactically. Pellegrini was sacked basically because of yet another terrible CL result and a very embarrassing early exit in Copa del Rey. The team had great talents and when Mourinho arrived he of course brought a few more names, but that team while great technically, was still lost tactically. What tactics should we use to capitalize the talent we had? Let's not forget this is La Liga - the level of competition doesn't compare to the EPL and still they struggled to find a pattern and a style of playing. Until the 5-0 we were leaders and after that disaster the team was emotionally unstable, they lacked confidence and the main reason they continued to win is because a team like that playing against Mallorca, Levante, Hércules ( :lol:), Deportivo, Almería, Getafe, etc would of course win. But we had problems, we struggled, it took José a long while to define and establish a pattern, a style and see what really worked given the players we had. That team changed Mourinho. He tried to emulate what he did in Inter (which was much closer to what he did in Chelsea), but he couldn't because he had completely different players in his hands. The squad itself presented a challenge to him and it took him a while (and an embarrassing loss to Barça) to understand that what he did here and in Inter wouldn't work with that profile of squad.

I remember vividly that season, I've followed Madrid very closely because I was excited to have Mou managing yet another team I supported. It took him months and we were very lucky with the teams we had on UCL (Lyon and Spurs). It wasn't until February-March that the team finally seemed to have settled and for Mourinho to learn how to work with a squad that was so prone to attack, fast, talented in every position (from the pivot on) and with the second best player in the world. But before that he tried ball possession, he tried tikitaka, he tried two strikers, one striker, he tried a lot of things, until he realized what Madrid did best was counter-attack and fast paced football. We had more possession than opponents, but we were in no way a tikitaka kind of football. It took time for him to find the balance and for the team get used to the new tactics and that was a team that had a lot of players on their peak (Casillas, Ramos, Marcelo, Alonso, Cristiano, di María, Higuaín and players on verge of peaking such as Benzema and Ozil - although some would say they were already peaking).

When Mourinho came to England the rest of the teams had to raise their level to compete with his team. And that improvement is still there for a couple of top clubs and the smaller clubs can be challenging because the league is very physical. Which league (among the big ones) is more unpredictable (or competitive) than the Premier League? La Liga and Bundesliga are all about two teams, Italy currently is about Juve and someone else that won't really threaten them but will still be much better than the rest. The rest (including Portuguese, French and Dutch leagues) are 2nd tier leagues. Winning in England is harder.

I prefer to keep my titles expectations low and look forward to this team progressing, maturing and taking the first steps into marking a generation in a couple of years. Everything beyond that is icing the cake. I have no doubts we'll be a force to reckon with next year and in a couple more we'll be the 'it' team. That's one thing missing in Mourinho's resume and it's great that Roman seems to aim the same. Whether they'll succeed or not, is yet to be seen, but I think we have all tools to make it happen and until then I'm prepared to see a lot of rotation, experiments and adjustments and hopefully titles mixed with all of it. It does help ManUtd has a new coach in nearly 3 decades and that ManCity pressed the reset button again.

btw, I saw his post by Cicero and not only I completely agree I think it's very pertinent too.

That is why I find it amusing how we are sometimes labeled as 'clear' favorites for the title.

His current reign with us is much more difficult than what he did with us back in 04-07. Back then, he built a team of players that were in their prime and established a strong stabilized core. Instant success.

Now he has a group of young talented players that he must develop and organize together to create the next generation of CFC. He's stated that he plans on developing youth prospects and to give this club the stability it's been missing, for that, Jose has my full backing and support.

I just hope some of the fans tone down on the pathetic knee jerk reactions if we somehow finish lower than we should, knowing that this squad is in transition, which it desperately needs.

Stability > Instant success

******************************************************************************************************

it's also funny we were talking about this being or not a transition season just last week when we've been talking about this subject even before the problems arose. That post I talked about transition a few people liked and agreed with (click in the little balloons to go to the original post). The struggles aren't surprising... the struggles were expected, the transition talk and the required time to make this work talk were here before the problems, basically before the season even started. I stand by my words in that post. I expect to see his team shaped in February-March

I know this has been said quite a lot but, as long as we don't fix the pivot or change line up, we won't get any better ever ... in his current position, lampard will never be as good as dembele, paulinho, fernandiniho or even arteta ...

Calm down....We're not even half way down the season.

Cometh the time, cometh the man.

I know this has been said quite a lot but, as long as we don't fix the pivot or change line up, we won't get any better ever ... in his current position, lampard will never be as good as dembele, paulinho, fernandiniho or even arteta ...

That's what I've been saying since forever really, we have a really sub-par pivot and all the other sides know that, it's the only reason why we haven't clicked.

WTF. Mou is back, he is unbeliveable, he made Mikel score guys and made him play pretty well and much more consistent so far, he adressed nearly all problems.

He has two points which he is totally wron at IMHO but still, I FULLY trust him, I thought it was a bit of banter from ppl. but he isnt Rafa he isn't AVB he loves this club and he said directly and immidiatly that this team isn't complete that he will struggle that he doesn't expect us to win anything but he will TRY to win everything, so he was completely honest and still we've gote some ppl. questioning him, what 3 Month into the season? We're 4 Points from top-spot and CL-Groupleaders, am I really still the fan of that club that loved to be at the CL, even if they didn't win it?

OK expectation have risen, but still, get real. Mou was honest, after he left many many things went wrong, we even had such world class players as Tal Ben-Haim and Mineiro at our disposal at one point if I may call your memories. He said he will give his all and that this will be his toughest job but he loves the club and he want to bring stability.

He is Manager and not technical director, he isn't at fault for buying 435.78 Attacking players and not buying one single capable CM.

His two wrong points, keeping playing lampard, he has a bit part role and he should do his legendary state a favour. SFL I honour what you've done, I will hold you as one of the best Players ever alongside Zidane, Ronaldinho, Pirlo etc., but there was always a time. As an affect of this, he keeps Mikel on the bench, and shackles Rambo. The other point is in my opinion to play Oscar as #10 and keep mata on the Bench. I've often said, I think Oscar would be great as CM and Mata just HAS to play, not because of his PAST, he played pretty well in nearly every game, only when he had to play on the wings he wasn't that little genius we know.

Still, in Mou I trust, I've dreamed about him comeing back for soooo long and I'm left in disbelief.

@Clevemayer, Exactly that ... I want Mou to be here for years to come, I really like the guy and after the Catalan cunt left us hanging, I'm gratified with our fate with JM as our coach. It has become such a cliche saying this but its very very frustrating to see a pivot not working hard to press, tackle or start attacks at chelsea.. a pivot that's the least talented among teams not just in the top 6 but I dare say the entire upper half of the table ... attacking midfielders as gifted as the ones we're blessed to have deserves a much better midfielder pair than they're getting right now ... and I'm tiered of convincing folks that all this aint hating on Lampard, I've a great deal of love and respect for the guy, I'm a chelsea fan fcs... but when its over, it is OVER

@Clevemayer, Exactly that ... I want Mou to be here for years to come, I really like the guy and after the Catalan cunt left us hanging, I'm gratified with our fate with JM as our coach. It has become such a cliche saying this but its very very frustrating to see a pivot not working hard to press, tackle or start attacks at chelsea.. a pivot that's the least talented among teams not just in the top 6 but I dare say the entire upper half of the table ... attacking midfielders as gifted as the ones we're blessed to have deserves a much better midfielder pair than they're getting right now ... and I'm tiered of convincing folks that all this aint hating on Lampard, I've a great deal of love and respect for the guy, I'm a chelsea fan fcs... but when its over, it is OVER

Absolutely spot on. 10/10 post.

Portuguese newspaper A Bola claims Essien, De Bruyne and Luiz could be shown the exit door at Stamford Bridge this winter, with Eliaquim Mangala and Radamel Falcao on the way in. Reports earlier this month suggested Demba Ba was another fighting for his future at the club, but the latest reports do not mention the Senegal forward.

http://www.givemesport.com/402611-mourinho-tipped-to-axe-several-chelsea-stars-in-january