The Mourinho Thread

I think the CL holds more value. It's the only competition you face the Real Madrids, the Barcelonas and the Bayerns and yes you have only one shot in the finals but that's why you have to bring your A game. And along you remain in the top 4, every year you have a chance of winning it.

It's rare for teams bar Real and Barca to win it. That's why we only won it once, Arsenal and City yet to have a sniff. While these same teams, already won the league in their history.

And when we won the CL, that year it felt so good to be called European Champions.

@Tomo - As for Club World Cup, because people barely know this competition exists I don't think it holds much value. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't go for it when we have the chance, it's a solid rare trophy to have in our cabinet.

That is fair, personally I prefer the PL but of course not devaluing the CL as its amazing to win.

A PL title is pure satisfaction of being the best team, ecstasy of it wears off then it turns to satisfaction (especially if you don't lift it the same day you secure it) but CL is unbridled joy for months.

Re the CWC, that should get more exposure imo, at the end of the day calling yourself world champions is no mean feat, in fact I'm gunna create an article about it.

Well I don't believe you. I think it will be like a close call, almost 50/50. CL and PL are two great grand prizes. Stop undermining the CL, it's a title every team in the Europe will be proud of. And the recognition of a team winning it is HUGE compared to the PL.

They most likely say that because it's easier to win the PL then to win the CL. You don't want to reach the final, only to lose.

not undermining it at all...just saying that most supporters would put PL first .

Get amongst the support pre match for a PL game and hear it for yourself because you are so wrong about 50/50

Then its better to be in CL as PL champions anyway.

Players would still sign because you have won PL and qualified.

I would love this club to win PL 3 times on the trot (a very rare achievement and very difficult). That would mean so much more than a cup competition.

But what about the other Euro cup??....the one that Mourinho pooh poos!..Where does that stand in prestige?

However if Europe went for European leagues then thats different

It really all depends on what you prefer. They're two very different competitions.

Personally i prefer the CL. Margin for error is smaller. When you head into the knockout rounds 1 poor performance can seal your fate. Only have 2 games so you gotta make them both count.

Also i simply find it more prestigious due to the opponents being better. Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid. We don't even have one team of that type of quality in the PL let alone 3.

FIFA Club World Cup is also a new tournament, introduced in 2000. Which is why nobody has heard of it or doesn't get the exposure unlike other competitions. Not to mention it's like 2 matches for whoever won the CL? And you're playing against unknown teams. Who has heard of San Lorenzo (Real's opponents last tournament)?

Being World Champions with the CWC just isn't as big as being European Champions at this point.

Have you asked? Have you got any proof that "I am so wrong?" apart from just yourself?

We finished 6th in 2012, but because we won the CL and FA Cup that year, finishing 6th can be easily be overlooked.

Yes I agree winning 3 PL titles in a row is difficult, but guess what? Winning the CL back to back is even harder. No team has been able to win CL back to back ONCE, while United already won the league 3 times in a row.

I've seen the question of whether Chelsea fans would prefer to win the Premier League or the Champions League many times on various forums and have also heard it discussed during radio phone ins. To my recollection, on every single occasion, a comfortable majority has voted for the Premier League. The domestic title is certainly my preference, and the gap is huge. If we'd won the league 5 times in a row, I'd still take a 6th win over another Champions League. Of course I'd prefer both but if it has to be just one then Premier League every time.

I do agree with you though about the CL being a great competition and about the fact that no one has retained it being evidence of how tough it is to win. I sometimes hear people of my generation yearning for the good old days of the Champion's cup. In my opinion their memory is playing tricks on them. For me, the old 4-and-a-half round*, straight knock-out, Champions Cup, with its entry padded out by the cannon-fodder domestic champions of weaker nations, was a Mickey Mouse competition compared to the Champion's League.

In fact those that would like to bring back the knock out version have forgotten that, back then, it was a commonly held view that the old UEFA Cup was a harder competition to win because of its greater strength in depth of top quality sides. The early rounds of the Champions Cup were a joke. Although people often forget now, the draw was seeded so the good teams often battered their opponents in the first two rounds and the competition didn't really get going till the quarter-finals (3rd round) in March. On only twice during their dominant spell did Liverpool draw good sides before Christmas. They went out on both occasions.

* I say 4-and-a-half rounds because, on the luck of the draw, some of the better clubs would get a bye into the second round, as Liverpool did in one of the seasons when they won the competition.

It really all depends on what you prefer. They're two very different competitions.

Personally i prefer the CL. Margin for error is smaller. When you head into the knockout rounds 1 poor performance can seal your fate. Only have 2 games so you gotta make them both count.

Also i simply find it more prestigious due to the opponents being better. Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid. We don't even have one team of that type of quality in the PL let alone 3.

But that also makes it easier to win. A bad day at the office by one of the better sides and they're out, so clearing the path for other teams.

I want to know TC members opinion on the following

1) do you accept the assertion that Chelsea under Jose are always too cautious when facing any team as good or better than Tottenham!?

2) do you thhink Jose will ever change?

3) do you not mind Chelsea being so passive all the time in big games ? do you want that to be part of chelsea's identity?

@ mana

Yes...I have asked. Meet and know hundreds of supporters before and after matches. Home and away....including some great trips abroad for CL matches or indeed other Euro ones.

I know the PL is the main prize for them........so going on your answer ...onviously you havent asked

Domestic titles attract only plastics and local losers. CL is the most important competition for football clubs.

Actually as far as attracting the so called 'plastics' ....its most probably the CL that does that as that has a bigger audience.

Fail to see your point about calling supporters ' local losers'

1) do you accept the assertion that Chelsea under Jose are always too cautious when facing any team as good or better than Tottenham!?

3) do you not mind Chelsea being so passive all the time in big games ? do you want that to be part of chelsea's identity?

we did well vs city away, arsenal , psg at home 13/14. but he doesn't seem able to replicate that anymore

For point three, I don't give a shit as long as we get the result. I'd rather play shit at Anfield and scrape a 1-1, than play nicey nicey football and get beaten.

Fans here saying winning CL is like a bonus comparing it to the FA Cup and COC. Just LOL. (This is not aimed at you Rhino's Skin)

Again, using your mouth isn't proof. I can easily say I've been to the Bridge too and asked. No proof. (But I have been to the Bridge 6 times though just didn't ask anyone). I want solid evidence.

Okay okay. MAYBE (and I said maybe) the fans think PL is better to win. But for the club, the managers and the players, the CL is THE dream trophy.

Let's start off with your favourite and our current manager, Jose Mourinho. How did Chelsea or us fans even got to know about Mourinho? Why is Mourinho classed as one of the TOP managers in the world? How did he make his name? Is it by winning the Portugal league? Serie A? LOL no. It's because he showed the world that he won the Champions League with Porto. That's what made him special, and that's why Chelsea were looking at him for replacement. Not only that, he won other CLs with other teams making him more popular around the world.

Another one, Carlo Ancelotti. Now according to fans here, people think Ancelotti's not a good manager. His league records are terrible. YET still popular among fans and clubs all across Europe. He even somehow had a job in Real Madrid. How? Because of his CV winning Champions Leagues! Not because of his Serie A title!

Steven Gerrard, I get it yes. He is ridiculed and of course very disappointed he will never hold that PL trophy because it's a fantastic trophy to get for the club, who hasn't won it in over 20 years. But at LEAST he led Liverpool to a CL, gave a game that will be remembered by millions of fans FOR YEARS around the world. That Liverpool team in Istanbul will be remembered by Liverpool fans forever. As a player, it's a moment he'll never forget in his entire life. It was a dream for him.

Man United and their 1999 CL victory. Another greatest moment in football history. Not just their own history.

Again, do you think Hazard will be a Chelsea player if we didn't win the CL in 2012? I seriously think not. Chelsea has gotten their name out there in 2012 when we won it. Most fans around Europe don't give a shit about the PL. I'm being serious.

It's about recognition. The club gains a lot more popularity by winning the CL, then to win league titles. Barcelona and Real won the CL so many times, that's why they are the best two clubs in the world. Even Liverpool, riding on their history is still known today by others because of their European dominance years ago. Maybe you don't understand how powerful it is to win the CL.

But because of the difficulty and chances of winning it, that's why fans tend to think we should put our efforts in to winning their own league first.

Firstly, meeting and knowing hundreds of supporters before and after matches, how else can I find out views without using my mouth?

Secondly....Where have I said on here Mourinho is my favourite manager???? Infact if you look at my posts I say different to that.

I reckon if you asked the manager of any PL club, their dream would be to win the PL first before worrying about winning a CL. So while the CL is more prestigious....its not the first thought with managers who are at clubs capable of competing for the PL title.

Hazard.....had we also been in top 4 he would have come to us. He chose us over Utd and City not only because of CL qualification, but because of the package put together for him and agents.

Lastly.. so what if other fans around Europe don't give a jot about what happens in the PL?? That's totally irrelevant when we are talking about clubs own supporters whether it Arsenal, Man Utrd, Liverpool etc etc wanting to win the PL.

If our foreign Chelsea supporters don't give a jot about the PL....then I suggest they reserve their comments for Mourinho and Chelsea only when we play European matches