Ashley Cole

Madmax

Well after the whole Ferdinand thing...Terry had to retire, which is a shame considering he's still the best England CB.

As for Cole, poor decision by the England manager to leave him out of the squad

That was just ridiculous. Made more than it was.

How does that affect England's chances of making it out if the group stage?

IMO, it's unfair when players who've helped you qualify for a WC aren't taken to the actual tournament in favour of someone who's done nothing to help you get there. You either bring new players in from the qualification process itself or you don't.

Absolutely. That's why Carlos Vela didn't go with Mexico, he said it would be unfair to a player that helped qualify since he never went. Fuck the FA and Hodgson.

Personally, I would not say it was a poor decision to leave A. Cole out of England´s squad, but it was an idiotic one.

Cole has much needed experience at this level of football & certainly it will be needed in Brazil.

Nevertheless, it appears the decision was taken Cole has retired from playing for England & most likely he won´t sign for Chelsea.

Perhaps, we ought to thank Jose for all of it.

He cemented his place for a long time and well 100+ caps for his country just shows how good he was. Its sad that he did not get picked but the youngsters need to get some chances now.

I can understand Hodgson's decision so not really angry here. Its just a shame English fans do not respect him because of his issues off the field. Ashely Cole is a LEGEND for both club and country and I thank him for his years of service at Chelsea.

That guy needs his fucking head seeing to, needs to keep his mouth shut. Prick.

Hasn't a clue what he's on about.

Pipe down son.

Stupid decision by Roy Hodgson I feel and I'm not even English lol.

Why take 2 players to a World Cup who have NO CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WORLD CUP OR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP EXPERIENCE?

Baines is a good and solid defender but still he's better going forward like most fullbacks these days, the same with Shaw. England aren't going to be playing a particularly open or expansive style anyway so really it also doesn't make sense as much because Ashley Cole has been playing in a Chelsea team which has always been good at defending deep and soaking up pressure for years, like England will no doubt play in some games with 2 banks of four and a low block. Even if Ashley is gonna be a back up, hes better to have as backup for experience incase Baines gets injured than Luke Shaw.

Imagine if Baines gets injured or suspended and England have to play Uruguay or Italy or any other big team in the tournament like a Brazil, a Spain or a Argentina with a very inexperienced 18 year old LB who has played 45 minutes for England? Not saying hes a bad player, he's a very good young player but you'd think Roy would want some sort of 'safer' backup option in Ashley Cole or even Kieran Gibbs who is a bit older and has played in Europe with Arsenal and looked pretty good this year.

Shaw will get plenty of world cups and be an England regular but sometimes you throw young guys in at the deep end and they float and sometimes they sink, imagine if he has a bad world cup? I mean if he does move to Man United like expected this summer then he needs to have a good World Cup and then hit the ground running there, so it really is a big big challenge for him if say Baines gets injured or Roy starts with him.

Still I can't believe Cole isn't going even if hes apparently 'past it' or is too old, still the best LB in the Premier League. Showed how good he can be against Liverpool where he contained Raheem Sterling and Atletico where he was outstanding also.

Completely agree shaw n baines arr not tested and I am not sure about both defensively and there is no team that play expansive football in WC

Of course Cole must decline the standby list. Fuck Roy now. I feel sad for Cole now. This player has been the best LB in England for years. This season Jose comes around demotes him to the bench, plays sporadically & now Roy tells him to take a hike.

Funny that some of you even think Cole might even sign for Chelsea for fucking half salary. Lol.